Do You Remember Choosing A Team To Support?

mjj

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mjj, not really a surprise that you were supporting them before 2005 but certainly a surprise if you were supporting them before 1996 4.gif

My first Chelsea shirts were the 83 home and away. The away was yellow and I'm always disappointed when they don't do yellow now. First Chelsea football hero was Kerry Dixon. Aahh, the second division...

My son has 9 Chelsea kits, soon to be 10. He is only 3. :-)

One of the 15000!!!! clap2.gif

Wrong smokes ! one of the 12,672 ....... big club 24.gif

You're right mate...I'm too generous. :D

Dad & Grandad Manchester United. Grandad did a stint as a ball boy for United in the 30's. All of us born in Salford. I followed suit but I haven't attended a game since the 80's early 90's as I don't live there anymore.

One thing I remember when I was little is that I was forbidden to say 'Chelsea' in the house. Dad convinced me it was a really bad swear word !!

Dad & Grandad Manchester United. Grandad did a stint as a ball boy for United in the 30's. All of us born in Salford. I followed suit but I haven't attended a game since the 80's early 90's as I don't live there anymore.

One thing I remember when I was little is that I was forbidden to say 'Chelsea' in the house. Dad convinced me it was a really bad swear word !!

Welcome to the forum DMC1 you should post more often, and another manc red to boot, funny as we are all supposed to live in cornwall.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum DMC1 you should post more often, and another manc red to boot, funny as we are all supposed to live in cornwall.

Not ALL. Just MOST biggrin.png

btw MrB, what part of Abu Dhabi do you come from? laugh.png

I'm in Saudi Carms.

Yes i know you are. silly me! wink.png

Didn't have to choose as at an early age i thought there was only one football team ! obviously living 10 mins walk from the ground helped.

At some stage you must have worked out there was more than one football team, like when they played other football teams smile.png

There is nothing wrong with living in Cornwall and following United biggrin.png people often relocate and still follow there team all over the country,i think you will find most premier league sides have clubs doing the runs every week to watch there games.

Even man citeh have one(Plymouth) which runs in conjunction with the sale coach. thumbsup.gif

Didn't have to choose as at an early age i thought there was only one football team ! obviously living 10 mins walk from the ground helped.

At some stage you must have worked out there was more than one football team, like when they played other football teams smile.png

I'm of the opinion that there is still only one football team and the rest just play something similar 3.gif

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

I'm still of the opinion that there is only one football team and the rest just play something similar 3.gif

I thought you supported Spurs?

• Like 1

I'm still of the opinion that there is only one football team and the rest just play something similar 3.gif

Hold up a minute, one of the 12,000 is speaking 37.gif

So did I. Hey Alfie, never knew you were a Man City fan.

Nah he can't be, Citeh only started playing football 3 years ago

• Like 2

So did I. Hey Alfie, never knew you were a Man City fan.

Nah he can't be, Citeh only started playing football 3 years ago

Sh1t. Good point, well made.

My Dad told me he took me to see Doncaster Rovers when I was tiny, but I don't remember it. He comes form an era when Doncaster Rovers was First Division and games against Barnsley were X-rated.

Next came Southend (maybe two games - vaguely remebered). By the time I was 9 years old we had moved again, to Carlisle, so 'our gang' went regularly to home games and when old enough I became a home and away Carlisle United fan. Followed them as they made their way up from the Fourth to the First Division. I still remember the hairs standing up on my neck when we got a truly international team (Sparta Prague - who were quite big in those days) playing at our sheep shed.

Then the family moved to Norwich and I followed them to east Anglia one year later to go to uni in Colchester - so became a bit of a mish-mash Norwich, Ipswich, Colchester supporter. As a cr@p player I started reffing and took the FA refs qualification to ref inter-college and local league games.

First job (after overland hippy trail and voluntary work) was in Leeds, so went to a few Lilly White's games, but this was immediate post-Revie era and they were boring as hell.

Then went to Houston to work for two years. Loved the US games and the environment of watching sport in aircon with beers and hamburgers to your seat. I left active soccer supporting for 20 years, having come back to London to work, having an inbred aversion to London teams (other than Spurs and West Ham, who played nicely and could always be beaten) and missing my NFL.

Started to do more than watch MOTD about 10 years ago - occasional matches around London; anything when Carlisle was playing locally. Flirted with Chelsea for a while. Can't remeber exactly when and why I became an Arsenal fan - think it was the back end of the Henri era. By then I was working internationally and rarely got to see live games. Have only seen Arsenal play live twice, whereas I have been to a handful of Wigan games (cheap and easy to get to) when I can when sporadically in the UK. Yep - have seen more of the Latics live than Arsenal.

Bit of a long journey to get to Arsenal - hence my insistence that I am a supporter, not a fanatic.

Edited by SantiSuk

My Dad told me he took me to see Doncaster Rovers when I was tiny, but I don't remember it. He comes form an era when Doncaster Rovers was First Division and games against Barnsley were X-rated.

Next came Southend (maybe two games - vaguely remebered). By the time I was 9 years old we had moved again, to Carlisle, so 'our gang' went regularly to home games and when old enough I became a home and away Carlisle United fan. Followed them as they made their way up from the Fourth to the First Division. I still remember the hairs standing up on my neck when we got a truly international team (Sparta Prague - who were quite big in those days) playing at our sheep shed.

Then the family moved to Norwich and I followed them to east Anglia one year later to go to uni in Colchester - so became a bit of a mish-mash Norwich, Ipswich, Colchester supporter. As a cr@p player I started reffing and took the FA refs qualification to ref inter-college and local league games.

First job (after overland hippy trail and voluntary work) was in Leeds, so went to a few Lilly White's games, but this was immediate post-Revie era and they were boring as hell.

Then went to Houston to work for two years. Loved the US games and the environment of watching sport in aircon with beers and hamburgers to your seat. I left active soccer supporting for 20 years, having come back to London to work, having an inbred aversion to London teams (other than Spurs and West Ham, who played nicely and could always be beaten) and missing my NFL.

Started to do more than watch MOTD about 10 years ago - occasional matches around London; anything when Carlisle was playing locally. Flirted with Chelsea for a while. Can't remeber exactly when and why I became an Arsenal fan - think it was the back end of the Henri era. By then I was working internationally and rarely got to see live games. Have only seen Arsenal play live twice, whereas I have been to a handful of Wigan games (cheap and easy to get to) when I can when sporadically in the UK. Yep - have seen more of the Latics live than Arsenal.

Bit of a long journey to get to Arsenal - hence my insistence that I am a supporter, not a fanatic.

Thanks for that story SS, if only the Man yoo fans were so forthcoming 32.gif

Yeah, yeah - but I actually live in Thailand. wink.png

Mr BJ is Old Trafford in the North East or North West???

That was my best effort at writing cockerney Toady. Albeit Dick van Dyke cockerney tongue.png

That was my best effort at writing cockerney Toady. Albeit Dick van Dyke cockerney tongue.png

I thought you was typing the Rochdale Mike Harding accent?

Don't you dis Mike Harding nev. And don't start on Lisa Stansfield either.

Stansfield is a manc,but Beth Jordache is a yonner a classy one at that! Gracie and Cyril thumbsup.gif oh and Heroin are the most famous things from Rochdale tongue.png

Stansfield is a manc,but Beth Jordache is a yonner a classy one at that! Gracie and Cyril thumbsup.gif oh and Heroin are the most famous things from Rochdale tongue.png

Nope Red. Lisa was born in Heywood (next door to Rochdale) but moved to Rochdale soon after as her first school was in Rochdale. Her mum and dad lived about 1/2 mile from my current house and Lisa had a huge house about 200 yards from mine. She since sold it and it got knocked down to put luxury apartments on. BTW. I only moved to Rochdale about 25 years ago, so I can't really call myself one of them but I do still love the place.