Apple Computer Store

cm das

I spilled a whole mug of hot tea on my powerbook 2 days ago. :o It's dried out but still dead, so I was going to take it down to the Apple store on Srimankalajarn on the off chance they could do something for it, at least retrieve files from the hard drive. Has anyone else had these folks do any work on their computers? If so, how did you find the work & the service? If not, any other suggestions on where to take an Apple comp0uter for repairs in Chiang Mai? Thanks

2 days after the big spill my computer was totally lifeless. 4 days after it booted up but after 1 minute the screen went black. 6 days later everything is basically fine. The keys are a little sticky & it's taking longer than normal to boot but it looks like I dodged a bullet. Still going to take it in for a cleaning/check up though.

And sleepyjohn, thanks for the tip. But as for Apple's quality: I've used both mac & windows machines for years. Apple's not perfect but I definitely find macs to be much more stable & reliable than the windows computers I've worked with. Have you had a different experience?

Why don't you simply ship it to the Apple service center in Bangkok to have them look at it? When I broke a little piece of plastic latch on mother board that holds RAM of my PowerBook G4 (Titanium), they sent me a protective box designed specifically to safely transport PowerBook for shipment to Singapore by DHL (Titanium required the service to be performed in Singapore back then, but not the Aluminum). I didn't even have to bring my PowerBook to the service center in Bangkok even though I live very close to it. I would assume they still have the same box that you can ask them to ship it to you so you can ship it back to Bangkok with PB by EMS or other domestic courier service company.

Make sure you ask for quote first but they will charge you around 750 Baht just to check and see what is wrong if you decide not to have it serviced.

http://www.maccenter.co.th/map.html

Edited by Nordlys

And sleepyjohn, thanks for the tip. But as for Apple's quality: I've used both mac & windows machines for years. Apple's not perfect but I definitely find macs to be much more stable & reliable than the windows computers I've worked with. Have you had a different experience?

I'm glad you have retrieved your laptop.

My iBook G3 is nearly two and a half. I have been very careful with it.

I have had two logic board failures requiring replacement, a total of 7 weeks with no iBook.

Recently the little used combo drive has failed, and a few days ago the charger packed up, the latter alone is about a 5000 baht item (generic copy $34.95). It had rarely left the house. The 24V lead is poor quality. Apple has known this for years and still supplies the same lead.

I love them when they're working but they are greedily overpriced, especially the parts.

Good luck with yours!

Edited by sleepyjohn

• 7 months later...

I use an apple ibook g4 and an ipod, and have applecare contracts on both which have still several months to expiry. I am not technically minded or beyond ‘scratching the surface’ stage of computors. I was wondering if anyone in Thailand has used applecare for advice, back up, problems, repair etc. Is it run from Singapore? Is there a functioning and practical telephone no to use from Thailand?

Regarding the apple shop in Chiang Mai. I'd appreciate someone's comments as to whether they will provide reliable technical, advisory/problem solving service with regard to hardware, software, connectability/synchronizing with pda/ipod/etc – for which they would charge, I hope a reasonable rate.

I’m soon moving to Chiang Mai and having this sort of apple service there - suitable for a near-beginner- would be a boon.

bhc

I haven't had the kind of specific experience at the apple shop that you describe but I've been there twice for service - once for the tea spill described above & once for a problem with my combo-drive - and I've found the folks there very pleasant & totally competent. I can't remember what they charged for cleaning the powerbook but it was something like 100-200 baht. And the combo-drive problem was covered by my waranty. All in all I was pleased with my experience there & would trust them in the future should I need to go back.

And by the way, my powerbook is now completely recovered from the spill. And I have a new rule - no drinks on the desk anymore!