Man Needs Tailor

Slim Chance

I note that nobody has replied to this post after quite a while. This is probably because they are of the opinion that they should not waste their time answering such a question from somebody who can't be bothered to read the many threads on the forum concerning tailors in Chiang Mai.

PLEASE search the forum and read the available info BEFORE you waste your time, and ours, by posting a question, the answer to which is in front of your eyes if you could only be bothered to look.

One other reason, in my case, is that I've never found a decent tailor in CM. I've tried a half dozen or so, and had less-than-satisfactory results. It's a bit like the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital discussion; for something minor CM is OK, otherwise go to Bangkok. :o

Hi, seems like p1p is yesterday's angry young man so dont touch his ears, he bites, he could have helped you, I jotted down name and address of a tailor in Chiang mai people were recomending, but blowed if I could find the thread when I did the search, his name is Neramit, address 91/2 Ratchawang road Chiang Mai phone;-053 234 353 it is near Kassam store, he makes shirts also hope this helps and im'e not even a moderater.

The word "tailor" is also problematic as when in Saville Row it means one thing and in Asia another.

I have used Neeramit and they are as good as it gets. Certainly good enough to get a reasonable quality shirt, but you probably will pay more than in other shops.

I have a favorite little shop in Pattaya that I have my shirts made, as they have a wide selection of wash and wear fabrics and the quality is OK for my knocking around. Cost 350 Baht per shirt. Granted I have bought other things from him and he knows I pay only bottom dollar.

If you are looking for quality wearing apparel, the concensus of most of the posts in threads heretofore was to buy "off the rack" at a department store and then have the "tailor" alter it to fit. The cutting and stitching in Thailand is just not up to the level it is in the west.

My conclusion after many years of having "tailors" work for me in Thailand is that they are largely "alteration" people or "seamstresses" and not tailors in the accepted sense.

Just look at the way they "tailor" a suit. One fitting after one measure and that is it. Truly a "made to measure" approach to clothing manufacture. Getting seams that don't pucker is a big one.

"Drape", "hang" and other qualities found in good suits is non-existent, in my view. But then again, for a simple shirt, no problem.

Hi, seems like p1p is yesterday's angry young man so dont touch his ears, he bites, he could have helped you, I jotted down name and address of a tailor in Chiang mai people were recomending, but blowed if I could find the thread when I did the search, his name is Neramit, address 91/2 Ratchawang road Chiang Mai phone;-053 234 353 it is near Kassam store, he makes shirts also hope this helps and im'e not even a moderater.

Angry, no - Young, I wish I was. I'm just somewhat jaded from seeing the same question time after time after time after time etc. I truly wish people would take control in their own lives, rather than expecting everything to be served up on a plate for them.

The information is there, availabe in seconds if people were not too bone idle to look. It is actually easier to type "Tailor" in a search box and click the "Search" button than to go through the palaver of asking a question and waiting for replies.

The list of topics about Tailors in the CM forum can be found HERE.

I am now going to pin a new topic at the top of the forum explaining how to search the Chiang Mai forum, however to save the trouble of looking there, you simply go to the CM forum intro page: HERE and scroll down to the bottom. At the bottom left, you will find a little box where you can type your search term before you click on the "Search Forum" button beside. There are your answers.

Know any reasonable tailor shops? Preferably a Thai tailor who makes shirts. If you post please include directions.

I've found these 4-5 Thai tailor shops great: solid stitching, good cut, and inexpensive. Not a lot of choice in materials, but hey....

Stand at Thapae Gate looking at the Montri hotel, walk over to the Montri towards AUA. Immediately adjacent to the rear of the Montri is a Soi, turn right onto the soi, walking along the back of the hotel for about 300 meters. On your right are the tailor shops.

BTW, the best CMai food restaurant IMHO serving Northern Thai Food is nestled there just after the tailor shops, serving naam, roasted pork, sticky rice, and a great 'house' soup served in earthen bowls which will cure whatever ails you. Not to mention cold,crisp beer. Enjoy...

I've found these 4-5 Thai tailor shops great: solid stitching, good cut, and inexpensive. Not a lot of choice in materials, but hey....

Stand at Thapae Gate looking at the Montri hotel, walk over to the Montri towards AUA. Immediately adjacent to the rear of the Montri is a Soi, turn right onto the soi, walking along the back of the hotel for about 300 meters. On your right are the tailor shops.

I have used a couple of of these tailors for over twenty years now. They are fine for run-of-the-mill work wear but I do not reccomend them fo anything "smart".

When I have them make anything, I always purchase the cloth and normally buttons etc. from Warorot market first.

BTW, the best CMai food restaurant IMHO serving Northern Thai Food is nestled there just after the tailor shops, serving naam, roasted pork, sticky rice, and a great 'house' soup served in earthen bowls which will cure whatever ails you. Not to mention cold,crisp beer. Enjoy...

Unless the restaurant has recently changed, it actually serves Esarn food. Not bad, but not as good as the place opposite Electronic Plaza.