Looking For Fishing Buddy

PlaaChon

I live about 20 years in Thailand. Mainly in Phuket and in Isaan. I hope to find anglers who are interested in joint fishing trips. I don't think so much of the usual fishing parks, but more on natural waters in Thailand. I have some ponds up to 10 rai with local and other species,where I fish currently the most time. Would be happy about any contact.

If you are happy catching nothing then fishing wild waters is the way to go, the majority of wild waters are netted, fishing parks are great, cheap fishing and you can catch monsters, nothing wrong in having parks that provide fish to catch.

Edited by kawapower

I suppose it is what you are after. I always fish for wild fish in the reservoirs and klongs around Isaan and just about invariably catch a fish or 2. I only fish for Snakehead and Jungle Perch, and usually with frogs on the surface and have had many a great day stalking these predators - sometimes in small klongs only a meter or so wide.

A normal trip would be 10 mins or so on the bike, about an hour fishing until I have a snakehead for the missus and then back home for a beer.

Food for the Soul!!!!!

You should put some red tails, chao phraya cats and mekong cats or siamese carp into your own ponds. It would be a lot of fun. You could buy some big ones from a fishing park if you didn't want to wait for them to get big or catch some from a wild river. I saw some siamese carp for sale once. 40 baht a kilo.

@jackinBKK

redtails, alligator gars, arapaimas, pacu etc. I buy usually in small size in BKK, feed up to a weight of estimate 1-2 kg and release them in smaller ponds where no bigger predator in, but a lot of small fish for food. The increase of weight regarding arapaimas is really unbelievable. In only one year I had one fish increased from 2 kg to 30 kg and two others to 20 kg. Early next year I empty another ponds and will see weight increase of plaa bueck. Siamese carps I don't have yet. For a rate of baht 40 p/kg in could makes sense to buy a few. Where do you have seen bigger carps for sale?

@UKJase

at present time I am in Khon Kaen, tomorrow for about a week in Kalasin and then back to Phuket. Next month, when school for the children closed I plan to spend the whole month in the Norteast.

@jackinBKK

redtails, alligator gars, arapaimas, pacu etc. I buy usually in small size in BKK, feed up to a weight of estimate 1-2 kg and release them in smaller ponds where no bigger predator in, but a lot of small fish for food. The increase of weight regarding arapaimas is really unbelievable. In only one year I had one fish increased from 2 kg to 30 kg and two others to 20 kg. Early next year I empty another ponds and will see weight increase of plaa bueck. Siamese carps I don't have yet. For a rate of baht 40 p/kg in could makes sense to buy a few. Where do you have seen bigger carps for sale?

@UKJase

at present time I am in Khon Kaen, tomorrow for about a week in Kalasin and then back to Phuket. Next month, when school for the children closed I plan to spend the whole month in the Norteast.

It was about a year ago when a pond was being emptied. They wont be available now but i'm sure others come up. It sounds like you are having lots of fun growing your own fish already. It's something i'd like to do myself some day. Enjoy it while you can.

Edited by jackinbkk

Hey Plaachon.... i am in hua hin so a bit far from either of your residencies i think...... my mrs is from kalasin tho and we get up there quite often

can you recommend any places to go fishing up that way? i am a coarse fisherman back home, and am quite happy fishing for anything really

any pointers buddy?

@UKJASE,

my experience regarding wild waters are limited. When not fishing in my own ponds in Kalasin I accompany sometimes my brother in law. He likes fishing from shore in the Lamphao Dam. However, fishing from shore brings low results and for me not enough fun. He caught several Plaa Sawai up to 10 kg/ Plaa Yissok up to 5 kg and last year a Plaa Chado of 6 kg.

The bigger fish are in deeper water next to the fish farms, where they feed every day. Later this year I plan to anchor my new house boat next to a fish farm. Despite there are a lot of big fish in the damm it will be a hard job to get such fish. It will take time to get the necessary experience. Thai anglers caught a few weeks ago over night two mekongs 32 kg + 37 kg.

Just let me know, when you plan vacation in Kalasin. It might be there is some time for fishing.

• Like 1

The bait I used with local fishermen on dams was about 6 months old lam mix and had fermented. You could smell the natural alcohol in it. Lots of wild animals seek out fermenting fruits etc. Natures bar. It worked very well on mekong catfish but due to the expanse of the water being in the right place at the right time is difficult. Dawn and dusk were the best times.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are happy catching nothing then fishing wild waters is the way to go, the majority of wild waters are netted, fishing parks are great, cheap fishing and you can catch monsters, nothing wrong in having parks that provide fish to catch.

I've never had any trouble catching fish in Thailand's wild waters.