Tesco And 7-11 Enslaving Thai's To Work 9 Hour Days For 220 Baht

omnilangur

I will explain this in the context of global operations ; Tesco Thailand and its subsidiary where there are lower costs of operations will funnel these back to a head office (probably in all context a western country) to head off the losses. Many global companies do that as the western hemisphere business environment is not ideal. Same scenario where 10 years ago the same profits made in the western hemisphere was used to funnel these expansion plans in Asia.

If there are Thais who refuse the low wages, all they need to do is to move up the career chain ; study hard in a good university, enroll in a course you have an interest in, challenge yourself to work globally for a good company big or small and then get the wages you believe you deserve for your talents.

It's a long hop from the back of a buffalo on the Korat plateau to a good university.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will explain this in the context of global operations ; Tesco Thailand and its subsidiary where there are lower costs of operations will funnel these back to a head office (probably in all context a western country) to head off the losses. Many global companies do that as the western hemisphere business environment is not ideal. Same scenario where 10 years ago the same profits made in the western hemisphere was used to funnel these expansion plans in Asia.

If there are Thais who refuse the low wages, all they need to do is to move up the career chain ; study hard in a good university, enroll in a course you have an interest in, challenge yourself to work globally for a good company big or small and then get the wages you believe you deserve for your talents.

It's a long hop from the back of a buffalo on the Korat plateau to a good university.

If it would fill the wallets of 'close friends', the government would improve the school system the same way, they improve the car sales for 'new new car buyers.

Someone only need to show a way, that the money for a better education goes direct back into the pockets of the rich. No doubt, the 'everyone can go to a good university'-trail would start by tomorrow!

• Like 1

It's nice to think that some people think that it is OK for the people of Thailand to have only 2 choices. (I notice it doesn't include the dignity of owning your own business or shop anymore)...I think that is appalling in itself, but when you realise that these aren't even "choices" for most they are necessary evils then the picture looks even bleaker.

So how many "choices" do you want to offer them in your vision of a brave new world.?

Not too many, judging by your posts. You seem incredibly ignorant of Thailand for someone who claims to have worked here

The problem with people like you Cowslip is that you're quick to condemn the invisible enemy and very slow with an actual genuine solution to your imagined problems.

You spend all day pointing fingers but never actually do anything....

• Like 1

Easy to talk ...and have ideals to actually manage it out as a vision and reality is tough

Anyone that has a bone to pick with big companies need to run one first and then understand that at that scale it's finding the right balance and you will never please anyone

Anyone that thinks this is simple can go and try sorting out the mgt mess in riverside condo and realize the best ideals are run down by people not wanting the same

As for small pop owners they are everywhere in Thailand and a great testament it exists ...unless this cowslip guy lives in a town that has none I am pretty sure it is not Thailand then

The small shops wont serve all of our needs but they serve a niche ...I support them when they sell something I need like my morning papers a cup of hot chocolate snacks ...for eveything else there is the mall...

Be balanced and life is happier

• Like 1

The snag is that with people like Cowslip and his ilk, their postings are made from their own Middle Class Guilt and not from life experience.

The whole anti capitalist/globalisation argument falls flat on it's arse when you ask them for an actual solution to their imagined problems.

Cowslip, I tend to agree with these guys. It is very easy to make generalisations here that simply do not apply in all situations. This country is polarized socially and from my experience having held the clean and the sh1tty ends of the stick, they are worlds apart. The expectations of the rich and poor are not what a western would imagine at all. Nor are those differences universal. Before assuming the worst of intentions for any corporate go to the effort of looking at their community work. Equally depending on the nature of the people at the bottom levels of the company, they are often given much more than just a meagre pay packet.

THe polarity between the high and lower classed people is disgusting.

Most farangs are living in a dream world filled with a soap oprah of illusions and self denial..

I don't like Oprah

Now here is a good example. If I think about that lady's circumstances I admit I would love to have just a part of her net worth, in a word, I'm jealous. But Thai people here would not be, as she is so far above them in statue that she becomes untouchable. People with the backside out of their trousers like me, now there is a target for jealousy.

The snag is that with people like Cowslip and his ilk, their postings are made from their own Middle Class Guilt and not from life experience.

The whole anti capitalist/globalisation argument falls flat on it's arse when you ask them for an actual solution to their imagined problems.

Nationalise everything.

In Khon Kaen they pay 8xxx Baht a month if you work in a Villa Market shop, so i think 7Eleven is the same !

Plus overtime etc.

Actual is min. vage in Esaan under 200 Baht a day at the moment.

They're getting gutted from inside out worse than a turkey at a russian Thanksgiving! Thanks TV for the 7000 plus reads on my topic!

• Like 2

In Khon Kaen they pay 8xxx Baht a month if you work in a Villa Market shop, so i think 7Eleven is the same !

Plus overtime etc.

They're getting gutted from inside out worse than a turkey at a russian Thanksgiving! Thanks TV for the 7000 plus reads on my topic!

haha that s like getting chicken plucked by the entire thai government!

Plus overtime etc.

wow, many wow, you should be promoted to a,

HORRIBLE MEMBER .

wai2.gif