Tesco And 7-11 Enslaving Thai's To Work 9 Hour Days For 220 Baht

omnilangur

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tesco and 7-11 are no different from any Thai company and they might even be better than some.

Isn't Tesco a British company & isn't 7-11 an American company ?

Chinese and Japanese respectively

Tesco is a UK based company and Tesco Lotus is their Thai based business - are you talking about share ownership of the Tesco Lotus property fund IPO?

Tesco and 7-11 are no different from any Thai company and they might even be better than some.

Tesco is a UK based company and Tesco Lotus is their Thai based business - are you talking about share ownership of the Tesco Lotus property fund IPO?

7-Eleven is not an American company it is Japanese. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Eleven

7-Eleven Thailand is owned 100% by CP ltd. http://www.7eleven.co.th/index_0812.html

Edited by khwaibah

Yes correct on both counts.

Poor Thai people working in 7/11 or Tesco's etc, have to go to work on motorbike. Unlike in the west where they arrive in their brand new BMWs.

What's the minimum wage in your home countries, then add to that the cost of living.

At least here there are jobs, last time I was back in OZ, A supermarket chain advertised for some shelf stacker's. 2000 applicants for 10 jobs.

The money may seem small, but they can live. Jim

Which tesco's in the west do you shop at ??

I have never seen anyone who stocks shelves turning up to work in brand new BMWs

It was meant to be a sarcastic remark. Jim

Much factual truth here Swissie; "they seem to be perfectly happy" brought me up a bit though. It could be argued that they are comotose because they have no prospects. Would we all have been better off staying in the cave and not trying to better our outlook?

No prospects: Yes, a Thai man or a Thai woman at the age of 50 have no prospects (No proper schooling, etc.) If you will, they are chained to the hammock.

But the young ones, better educated, can give it a try in Bangkok for example. Or give it a try in a tourist-hub.

The more I am astonished, how many of them return to the "Hammock-Life" here after a couple of months. The usual comment: I no like !

Must add that it's not a "poor region" where I live in Thailand. Actually, they are quite "affluent". (Every family seems to have at least one "uncle" that runs some sort of business, that allows them not having to wander off the hammock too far.)

But things might be a bit different in the Isaan. Don't know.

Cheers.

PS: If we can't stop the plundering of this planet and it's resources, future genereations will probably live in caves again and the question will arise: Why did we leave the caves in the first place. cheesy.gif

In Ubon, Lotus paid 180b to college student cashiers during the last break for 10-12 hour days.

These college student cashiers will be the better accountants in the near future-----bah.gif

Edited by sirchai

These workers could have listened at school, not copied from their friends, done a bit of homework from time to time.

All Thai students know the prospects. They all know the difference between leaving school at 12 and carrying on to 24. Most of the time they do not care.

• Like 1

Lower wages mean lower prices; please don't spoil things

your a man after my own heart , i admire your principles , on humanity, and kindness..

if we are not careful , they will have human rights in thailand ,

and look at the mess that has put europe in.

i am not a CC. however 200 bht a day , is more than enough to give to a thai lady .

remember , cow pad moo,is only 30 bht . hope this info helps .

coffee1.gif

Edited by elliss

Lower wages mean lower prices; please don't spoil things

your a man after my own heart , i admire your principles , on humanity, and kindness..

if we are not careful , they will have human rights in thailand ,

and look at the mess that has put europe in.

i am not a CC. however 200 bht a day , is more than enough to give to a thai lady .

remember , cow pad moo,is only 30 bht . hope this info helps .

coffee1.gif

Exactly Ellis. These folk must not be given more than a fair commensurate remuneration, it will just be frittered away on card playing and lao kao . Overpaid students will just abandon their studies for a hi so lifestyle and we would never be able to get a seat in Fuji at lunchtime.

By the way ...... where has the OP troll gone?!!

Pay workers more, then pay more for goods and services. Thai stores, especially the big ones tend to have lots and lots of workers, but I don't know if they actually work. Walk through Big C and dozens of "workers" in the appliance department. Maybe they are just on commission? And of course you know if a foreign restaurant owner how many Thais you are supposed to hire. No easy solutions

Most of your replies to my topic post are the gaseous crap that form ignorant assumptions. Mostly all of you see many people standing around in the appliance or beauty department at Tesco, Big C, etc, NOT working non stop BECAUSE they dont WORK for Tesco, they are hired from various namebrands of products and actually make about 30 percent more than the shelf stocker working from 5 am until 1 pm FOR TESCO. Getting paid OT for working over 40 hours a week is non existant. Having your shift change from 8 am-6 pm one day and the next from 4 am to 1 pm is more mandatory than a Telemarketers bowel movement at MCI.

My girlfriend told me everyday 2 new people are hired and only 1 of them has the stamina and energy to work this hard for such little cash. These wealthy western corporations HAVE the profit and money to give these people higher salaries unlinke their thai counterparts of competition. The problem is that THAI people are unaware of the power of UNIONS. Me working for 2 hundred baht an hour at a government school for a lousy 4 month contract is all the work I could find at this time. The germans, french and spanish natives had the 1 year contract at the 35k a month city government school. Don't pity me, pity those who work twice as hard for an entire day as I do in 1 hour. What even more pitiful are the wages of 7-11 and Tesco Sweatshop workers in nearby countries producing products so you can save a few baht while they monopolize the world paying these slaves less than 2 thousand baht a month.

@omnilangar: "The problem is that THAI people are unaware of the power of UNIONS. It is a known fact in Thailand that activists taking on the power structure in Thailand are disappeared/killed. Just how long do you think union representatives would retain their "freedom of speech"

"My girlfriend told me everyday 2 new people are hired and only 1 of them has the stamina and energy to work this hard for such little cash."

That statement from the OP just doesn't make sense !!! And I doubt is even close to the truth.

Imagine after 2 weeks of hiring 1 new person a day (the other one dropping out due to exhaustion) you would have 14 new staff in addition to the original workers ....... in 1 month etc etc etc .....

You will not change the way Tesco / 7 ding dong do business in Thailand.

And I do know (really really) some 7/11 employees that are not only happy to have a job there, but also proud to be working for them.

Short term solution for the OP would be for his GF to find alternate better paying employment.

• Like 2

@omnilangar: "The problem is that THAI people are unaware of the power of UNIONS. It is a known fact in Thailand that activists taking on the power structure in Thailand are disappeared/killed. Just how long do you think union representatives would retain their "freedom of speech"

My friends have dissapeared for being animal rights activists. Heroes have short lives in Thailand.

Now to the point I made about people quitting on a regular basis, IT HAPPENS EVERYDAY and these are not the company reps standing around selling appliances in Lotus, these are the hard working clerks and shelf stockers who ARE employed by Lotus.......

Nobody here cares about workers rights? CEO's of 7-11 and Tesco make a 3 million baht per HOUR!

My friends have dissapeared for being animal rights activists. Heroes have short lives in Thailand.

Now to the point I made about people quitting on a regular basis, IT HAPPENS EVERYDAY and these are not the company reps standing around selling appliances in Lotus, these are the hard working clerks and shelf stockers who ARE employed by Lotus.......

Nobody here cares about workers rights? CEO's of 7-11 and Tesco make a 3 million baht per HOUR!

I feel your pain ........... god; this is hysterical

• Like 1