Cbr 500Cc Leaked Pic

greg71

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome i hope it comes true. A lightweight CBR 500 would be a great bike, no matter what country youre in.

A 500cc engine with the weight of the CBR 250 would be badass, wheelies out the corner !

But if the resident spammer/sponsor continues to deceive people through lies and trickery i wont get one. It makes me sick that a paid Honda sponsor is able to create multiple usernames and engage in gorilla marketing tactics through disinformation. This behavior is evident whenever new models come out.

It's guerrilla marketing... unless he's going around giving out bananas to people for buying Hondas.

Pedantry aside; I'd be super interested in a 400/500. I'm mostly interested in the engine they plan on using. Clean sheet design it will have to be. If I could dream I would like an inline 3. Screw that high end rush that some people like, give me a compromise between decent low end torque and a good upper end.

The big problem I can see it having is pricing. If it has any decent power it sure won't use the CBR 250R frame as that would be quickly pretzeled up. So a new frame (please for the love of buddha don't reuse a bigger bike's frame), new engine, etc. Will it come in for quite a bit less than the ER-6* bikes cost?

• Like 1

Awesome i hope it comes true. A lightweight CBR 500 would be a great bike, no matter what country youre in.

A 500cc engine with the weight of the CBR 250 would be badass, wheelies out the corner !

But if the resident spammer/sponsor continues to deceive people through lies and trickery i wont get one. It makes me sick that a paid Honda sponsor is able to create multiple usernames and engage in gorilla marketing tactics through disinformation. This behavior is evident whenever new models come out.

It's guerrilla marketing... unless he's going around giving out bananas to people for buying Hondas.

Pedantry aside; I'd be super interested in a 400/500. I'm mostly interested in the engine they plan on using. Clean sheet design it will have to be. If I could dream I would like an inline 3. Screw that high end rush that some people like, give me a compromise between decent low end torque and a good upper end.

The big problem I can see it having is pricing. If it has any decent power it sure won't use the CBR 250R frame as that would be quickly pretzeled up. So a new frame (please for the love of buddha don't reuse a bigger bike's frame), new engine, etc. Will it come in for quite a bit less than the ER-6* bikes cost?

The Cbr250's frame would be fine. Need to change the swing arm though :D:D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Betcha a beer that it'll be heavy, steel frame and no more than 2 pots, basically a Honda version of the Kawasaki 650 twins. I'd love to be wrong.

The Cbr250's frame would be fine. Need to change the swing arm though biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I see no indication from those admittedly horrible shots that it would be using the rather weedy CBR 250 frame. There's nothing wrong with the frame as it is currently in use; but if the power is where I assume it is, and people use it as the pedigree demands it to be used, I can't see it having the bigger engine shoehorned in.

Betcha a beer that it'll be heavy, steel frame and no more than 2 pots, basically a Honda version of the Kawasaki 650 twins. I'd love to be wrong.

I'd prefer to be on your side of that bet as I believe you're quite right. From those crazy blurry shots it looks like it's only a two cylinder as the one in with the water bottles has an exhaust header that appears too big for a sub 200/250 cc cylinder. To understand what I am talking about, look at the CBR 600's exhaust headers below and compare their relative size to the front trye (those pipes are for 150cc cylinders) to the supposed 500's. The '500' has a much larger diameter header. It also looks to me to be too close to the fairing to be a single. What really got my attention was the size of that honking big crankcase in the naked bike's picture...why? That makes me wonder if there's a counterbalancer in there.

666_500_csupload_47579319.jpg?u=4062540144

Really Dave, who gives a shit?

Anyway, yeah that crankcase is suspect...wouldnt think it would be that wide for a single cylinder. Downside to that though is if it gets laid down, it'll probably crack like almost every R6 ive seen that's been down.

Edited by KRS1

I think it'll be a steel frame too for sure. Looking at the rear tire size it looks to be a 140???... it'll still be an interesting bike though as long as they can keep it relatively light.

A V-twin would be the shit though ! Good low end torque and a sweet note. But that would require a 160 rear tire and it aint in that picture i dont think.

Edited by KRS1

I think if it's more than one cylinder and not too heavy then it could do well if it's priced around the 200k mark. Any more than that and people might be tempted to pay a bit more and get one of the Kawi 650's (or a bit less for a second hand Kawi 650).

The faired one looks OK, the naked one looks kind of cheap and nasty IMO. Probably because you can see those skinny, conventional forks and the plastics/headlight don't look too good. In fairness though, the pics aren't very clear so hopefully it's just the case that they don't do the bike justice. Rear tyre does look mighty skinny for a 500cc bike, I wonder what kind of power it's putting out.

I think if it's more than one cylinder and not too heavy then it could do well if it's priced around the 200k mark. Any more than that and people might be tempted to pay a bit more and get one of the Kawi 650's (or a bit less for a second hand Kawi 650).

The faired one looks OK, the naked one looks kind of cheap and nasty IMO. Probably because you can see those skinny, conventional forks and the plastics/headlight don't look too good. In fairness though, the pics aren't very clear so hopefully it's just the case that they don't do the bike justice. Rear tyre does look mighty skinny for a 500cc bike, I wonder what kind of power it's putting out.

I went poking around wikipedia and it looks like most 6** sport (SV650/ER- 6 style) have a 160 tyre. And I'd assume they're going to be some 15-20 HP up on this new bike. Those mid 20's 1/4 litre bikes use 140 profile (not that they actually need that much meat on their rims), add 20 HP for a 150 profile on a 500 cc bike, and then the jump up to the 650s' 160 profile makes sense. Look at this picture of the SV650 which makes its 160 rear look slim.

Unfortunately I still think that it is going to be MSRP of 200K+. With the price gouging that APe Honda dealers are getting known for, can we expect 300K out the door asking price as they were asking MSRP+50% for the CBR 250?

• Like 1

Unfortunately I still think that it is going to be MSRP of 200K+. With the price gouging that APe Honda dealers are getting known for, can we expect 300K out the door asking price as they were asking MSRP+50% for the CBR 250?

I'd expect these products to be the 'Made in Thailand Big Bike Flagships' for the Big Wing national expansion plan.

National Big Wing stores (BKK, CNX and Phuket at least) promoting their Thai made Big Bikes with an affordable price.

I'd expect a set price, as with the rest of the Big Wing products. Cheap, at not much more than the N250/N300 and a good bit less than the Er-6's. I don't think regular Honda dealers will be dealing with them, but will be sold through the new Big Wings... Creating a sense of affordable big biking for the masses.

Edited by siampreggers

SINGLE FRONT BRAKE DISC???!!!! hit-the-fan.gif

Assuming I am right, than weight should be less than an ER-6 which gets by quite well with a single front disk.

Not sure about the faired version, but I think the naked one might actually be the NC700.

You and I must be looking at different bikes. Front fender is different, headlight is different, front disc is different, 'fuel tank' is different, rear foot rests are different, front and bottom fairings are different, the rake of the forks (to my eye!) is much more stretched out on the NC700s, seats are different, case cover is different, etc.

The funny thing is that I was just going to complain that I wish everyone didn't know that you were a dealer and you could provide us with top secret information!

la-honda-nc-700-s-en-action-c-dr-66234-1.jpg

Edited by dave_boo

Assuming I am right, than weight should be less than an ER-6 which gets by quite well with a single front disk.

Not sure about the faired version, but I think the naked one might actually be the NC700.

You and I must be looking at different bikes. Front fender is different, headlight is different, front disc is different, 'fuel tank' is different, rear foot rests are different, front and bottom fairings are different, the rake of the forks (to my eye!) is much more stretched out on the NC700s, seats are different, case cover is different, etc.

The funny thing is that I was just going to complain that I wish everyone didn't know that you were a dealer and you could provide us with top secret information!

la-honda-nc-700-s-en-action-c-dr-66234-1.jpg

Sorry, guess I jumped the gun. No top secret info, I know as little as you guys.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

How do we know whether it's a 400 or 500 cc bike pretty impossible to put a price on it but if it's a 500 cc I'd say it's gonna be priced nearer to the er 6 price I don't think it would come in any where near 200k

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Look at the forks, the single disk brake, the shabby overall look. I think they'll have to price it around the 200k mark, especially if it's another single.

I really can't see too many people (other than die hard Honda fans) buying it if it weighs in at 200,000Baht. another 25% and you can have a much better Kawasaki ER6

I would expect to see it at more or less the same price as that Integra contraption (If that's 200,000Baht then so beit)

Steel frame is a given, there's no way it's going to be alloy at this price range

Single disc up front...... I really don't see why twin discs couldn't have been installed, it's not like this bike is going to weight 100kg less than the ER6..... Or perhaps it's never going to gather enough speed to worry the single disc?

^

if they are selling the crf 250 for 140k do you really think there is a possibility of this bike being 150k you got to be dreaming

As for the twin discs I don't think it's a massive issue if you want this bike to be cheap they have to cut back somewhere my Honda hornet in the uk only has 1 disc and I'm sure it's alot faster than this machine

You can't really start complaint about why they haven't done this or that until you know how much the thing costs ,it's defo gonna be a good few months of speculation going on around these two bikes.

Edited by taninthai

FWIW, the Suzuki GS500 (around 50 HP) has a single disc. The Yamaha SZR660 (around 50 HP) had a single disc. The Kawasaki ER-5 (around 50 HP) had a single disc.

Granted all of those are either a 'sports' or a 'standard' bike, depending on who you ask, but considering that Honda slaps an "RR" designation on their supersports (much how Kawasaki puts the ZX in line to designate a supersport), it makes sense.

Finally, just poking around about those bikes listed previously, the heaviest was the ER-5N which ways as much as a current ER-6N...and got by just fine with the single disc.

A 500 makes me think it will be using the engine bits from the 250 single and making a twin, since they spent all that money developing that engine from scratch. Nothing wrong with that, at the right price I'll bite.

All the parts of a 250 single?

Yeah perhaps the piston (x2), gudgeon pin (x2), and rod (x2)

But the block would be different, the head would be different, different, cams, cam chain, crankshaft, cam cover, exhaust, clutch, gearbox, perhaps along with the new head different valves would be used too. Phewww

Um Dave, if you think an ER6 only has one disc up front then you need to have your eyes examined bro...

Picture-017_resizeSSR.jpg

The OP is talking about the CBR 500 not the ER6n, and you can see quite clearly it only has one brake disc...Are YOUR eyes OK?? ?