Cbr 500Cc Leaked Pic

greg71

A 500 makes me think it will be using the engine bits from the 250 single and making a twin, since they spent all that money developing that engine from scratch. Nothing wrong with that, at the right price I'll bite.

I thought the 250 engine was pretty much a detuned version of the CRF250R engine which had been around since 2004. Great configuration for a dirt bike which is why it's been well received in the CRF250l.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A 500 makes me think it will be using the engine bits from the 250 single and making a twin, since they spent all that money developing that engine from scratch. Nothing wrong with that, at the right price I'll bite.

All the parts of a 250 single?

Yeah perhaps the piston (x2), gudgeon pin (x2), and rod (x2)

But the block would be different, the head would be different, different, cams, cam chain, crankshaft, cam cover, exhaust, clutch, gearbox, perhaps along with the new head different valves would be used too. Phewww

They could use the same spark plugs.

FWIW, the Suzuki GS500 (around 50 HP) has a single disc. The Yamaha SZR660 (around 50 HP) had a single disc. The Kawasaki ER-5 (around 50 HP) had a single disc.

Granted all of those are either a 'sports' or a 'standard' bike, depending on who you ask, but considering that Honda slaps an "RR" designation on their supersports (much how Kawasaki puts the ZX in line to designate a supersport), it makes sense.

Finally, just poking around about those bikes listed previously, the heaviest was the ER-5N which ways as much as a current ER-6N...and got by just fine with the single disc.

A lot of 'had' and 'was' in that post Dave. This is 2012 and if Honda want to compete with Kawasaki they need to match the spec and quality or keep it extremely cheap. My guess is they will take the second option, not that there's anything wrong with that :)

FWIW, the Suzuki GS500 (around 50 HP) has a single disc. The Yamaha SZR660 (around 50 HP) had a single disc. The Kawasaki ER-5 (around 50 HP) had a single disc.

Granted all of those are either a 'sports' or a 'standard' bike, depending on who you ask, but considering that Honda slaps an "RR" designation on their supersports (much how Kawasaki puts the ZX in line to designate a supersport), it makes sense.

Finally, just poking around about those bikes listed previously, the heaviest was the ER-5N which ways as much as a current ER-6N...and got by just fine with the single disc.

A lot of 'had' and 'was' in that post Dave. This is 2012 and if Honda want to compete with Kawasaki they need to match the spec and quality or keep it extremely cheap. My guess is they will take the second option, not that there's anything wrong with that smile.png

Reason that I had to use the past tense? There was some bikes (grammatically incorrect but need to keep the 'had' and 'was' in my post) that met the assumed power/weight of the 400/500/whatever in a similar displacement. Other than the GS500, all the manufacturers have abandoned that range.

I totally agree; there is no way that the bike as presented, with the rumoured facts and Honda's previous statements about being a green company reconciling with an ER-6* competitor. I honestly believe that this bike is intended to split the difference between the CBR/Ninja 250s and the ER-6*. Is it an untapped market? For me it is. I would definitely get a bike that split the power, weight, and price of those two previous groups. For others perhaps not. I'd like to see it as a good value in that the performance would probably be the same as the price differential r.e. the Ninja 650. Others would look at it as simply an extra 50K to get 33% more power...but they're probably better riders than I who get a lot more saddle time and are ready to skip over that intermediate step.

I agree, it sounds like the most practical way to do it. It will also keep manufacturing costs down as they can use existing lines. Also, in fairness, this is a sneak pic from a mobile phone of a bike that isn't being released for another 4 or 5 months. I'm sure the final product will look much better.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

Man this must be the day my dreams come true.

But the bike on pics looks so thin and short like a cbr150.

Tyres are no way near 160. They look like 140. Hope my eyes are wrong.

Shocks seems really like chop sticks yes.

I hope this is not a 250 bike with a new design.

If it is a 500 sure it will be at least 50,000 thb less than kawa 650.

Fingers crossed. Wanna be the first guy buying it.

Now i stop planning to buy ninja 650 until these photos are confirmed. About to buy kawa man!

Bike gods please help ap honda to release this bike as a 500cc. Cmon.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Thaivisa Connect App

A lot of 'had' and 'was' in that post Dave. This is 2012 and if Honda want to compete with Kawasaki they need to match the spec and quality or keep it extremely cheap. My guess is they will take the second option, not that there's anything wrong with that smile.png

Reason that I had to use the past tense? There was some bikes (grammatically incorrect but need to keep the 'had' and 'was' in my post) that met the assumed power/weight of the 400/500/whatever in a similar displacement. Other than the GS500, all the manufacturers have abandoned that range.

I totally agree; there is no way that the bike as presented, with the rumoured facts and Honda's previous statements about being a green company reconciling with an ER-6* competitor. I honestly believe that this bike is intended to split the difference between the CBR/Ninja 250s and the ER-6*. Is it an untapped market? For me it is. I would definitely get a bike that split the power, weight, and price of those two previous groups. For others perhaps not. I'd like to see it as a good value in that the performance would probably be the same as the price differential r.e. the Ninja 650. Others would look at it as simply an extra 50K to get 33% more power...but they're probably better riders than I who get a lot more saddle time and are ready to skip over that intermediate step.

An intermediate step between a 250 twin and a 650 twin? I've heard of erring on the side of caution but really, the 650 twin is a very rideable bike and there's no need to have a 'in between' bike in terms of peformance. I think anyone who can ride a bike with a clutch and gears can ride a Kawi 650.

In terms of price? yeah - maybe... If they can churn them out at 200k then they can pick up a good percentage of the market amongst guys looking to get into the big bike 'scene'. But like I said, if the early spy shots are anything to go by then i think they're looking at going after Kawi on price rather than quality with this bike.

• Like 1

Maybe it will be a sleeved down N700???

But a single front disc, chop stick forks, and small rear tire....This will probably save about 10 lbs, but the braking will feel mushy and it'll probably feel like entering a corner riding a sponge.

Please please please make it a V-twin

An intermediate step between a 250 twin and a 650 twin? I've heard of erring on the side of caution but really, the 650 twin is a very rideable bike and there's no need to have a 'in between' bike in terms of peformance. I think anyone who can ride a bike with a clutch and gears can ride a Kawi 650.

In terms of price? yeah - maybe... If they can churn them out at 200k then they can pick up a good percentage of the market amongst guys looking to get into the big bike 'scene'. But like I said, if the early spy shots are anything to go by then i think they're looking at going after Kawi on price rather than quality with this bike.

The past is littered with examples of bikes that would be considered an intermediate step between Kawi's current 250 and 650. As to then pertinent question if those bikes were discontinued because they were unnecessary or if the public just got caught up in the 'moar cc' craze similar to the SUV craze.

Also, you forget, the reason that I'm so interested in this bike is the Wing on the tank. I had put serious thought into picking up a used Kawi 650, based on exasperation with Honda, but have been holding out in high hopes. Plus I just know that Tony would never let me live that down.

I'd been holding off on saying anything, but those plastics sure do look natty don't they? Really thin looking with sharpish looking edges don't scream quality. I hate to say it, but almost looks like the type that Tiger would use, doesn't it?

The past is littered with examples of bikes that would be considered an intermediate step between Kawi's current 250 and 650. As to then pertinent question if those bikes were discontinued because they were unnecessary or if the public just got caught up in the 'moar cc' craze similar to the SUV craze.

Also, you forget, the reason that I'm so interested in this bike is the Wing on the tank. I had put serious thought into picking up a used Kawi 650, based on exasperation with Honda, but have been holding out in high hopes. Plus I just know that Tony would never let me live that down.

I'd been holding off on saying anything, but those plastics sure do look natty don't they? Really thin looking with sharpish looking edges don't scream quality. I hate to say it, but almost looks like the type that Tiger would use, doesn't it?

Yep, its nonsense that there is no need for a 400/500cc bike just because there are 650cc available. Imo Kawasaki should stop producing 650cc bikes, because i don't need them :)

I am surprised what you guys all can see on this blurry pictures. I am hoping for a good value for money bike, thats what Honda does with the CBR150 and CBR250. I don't need "double front disc brakes" and "high spec suspension" and such things on a 40-50hp bike. I just want to have fun on a nice bike, no posing needs here. I know Honda can do that if they want for less than 200k with good quality.

• Like 1

Yep, its nonsense that there is no need for a 400/500cc bike just because there are 650cc available. Imo Kawasaki should stop producing 650cc bikes, because i don't need them smile.png

I am surprised what you guys all can see on this blurry pictures. I am hoping for a good value for money bike, thats what Honda does with the CBR150 and CBR250. I don't need "double front disc brakes" and "high spec suspension" and such things on a 40-50hp bike. I just want to have fun on a nice bike, no posing needs here. I know Honda can do that if they want for less than 200k with good quality.

NO! Kawasaki should not stop producing their 650 bikes. All competition in the market is good as it drives manufacturers to improve, lower prices, and provides the customers with better rides.

A lot of what I am noticing is after futzing with the picture. I'm hesitant to call anything about absolute sizes because the field of depth is just so horrible. However, there are certain things that can be established fairly well. It's not a NC700*. The frame isn't right (tucked too high up under the fairings) and the exhaust header exits at too steep of an angle. It also isn't a single unless the cylinder is WAY off centre line as the one exhaust I can see is too close to the left fairing. My comment on the plastic was a judgement call due to it appearing to me to not being rolled over or having a backing plastic.

Yep, its nonsense that there is no need for a 400/500cc bike just because there are 650cc available. Imo Kawasaki should stop producing 650cc bikes, because i don't need them :)

My point was that IMO Dave doesn't really need a bike as a stepping stone between a 250 and a 650, not the market (although I'd prefer they released something a bit higher spec judging by the early shots). If he wants it just because it's a Honda then that's his choice.

Double disc brakes are generally for more stopping power as opposed to posing :) If you ever get the chance to ride a bike with high spec suspension and high quality brakes then you might change your tune.

I think I know one of the main reasons Honda will be producing a CB500 and Kawasaki offering a Ninja 300. From January 13th 2013 in the UK riders over 19 years old who pass a standard licence bike test will, for the first 2years, be able to ride bikes up to 47BHP instead of the present 33BHP limit. Nothing here over 135cc is designed for the Thai domestic market, so bigger bike enthusiasts here have to hope that some crumbs become available. The UK spec manual version of the new Honda NC700S and X has a power output of 46.9BHP which is probably more than just coincidence. I know the NC700 doesn`t float everyones boat but these are the performance figures I found. Top speed 189kph. 0-100kph 5.4 secs.

Photo originally posted by Mr. Abrahamson on the Sumet Cycle Club FB page...

post-118861-0-28201000-1347427682_thumb.

Just for comparison and to confirm it's not the existing CBR600F/RR, I used my old password to the Honda VPO (Virtual Press Office) to pull out some CBR600 images (didn't bother to re-size the high-res files, for those of you who enjoy bike pr0n):

CBR600F

post-118861-0-11093100-1347428160_thumb.

CBR600RR

post-118861-0-91183800-1347428131_thumb.

Edited by RED21

My point was that IMO Dave doesn't really need a bike as a stepping stone between a 250 and a 650, not the market (although I'd prefer they released something a bit higher spec judging by the early shots). If he wants it just because it's a Honda then that's his choice.

Double disc brakes are generally for more stopping power as opposed to posing smile.png If you ever get the chance to ride a bike with high spec suspension and high quality brakes then you might change your tune.

I probably don't need a stepping stone, but after 3 years happy on the a 150, and then 3 years happy on a 250 (embarrassed that it didn't have a Wing on the side...but it's a dam_n fine machine that took care of me as long as I took care of it) both of which allowed me to cover huge distances and meet interesting people, a bike that also fits in my budget (what can I say...I'm a cheap charley--I mean value conscious) is just perfect even if it's smaller displacement than pretty much anybody I ride with.

Photo originally posted by Mr. Abrahamson on the Sumet Cycle Club FB page...

post-118861-0-28201000-1347427682_thumb.

Just for comparison and to confirm it's not the existing CBR600F/RR, I used my old password to the Honda VPO (Virtual Press Office) to pull out some CBR600 images (didn't bother to re-size the high-res files, for those of you who enjoy bike pr0n):

CBR600F

post-118861-0-11093100-1347428160_thumb.

CBR600RR

post-118861-0-91183800-1347428131_thumb.

Ha ha, I actually nicked it from Siampregger's post in the New CBR 400 thread.

its going to be a 400 not a 500:

I hope you're not basing that simply on an old Jap photoshop mag. rolleyes.gif

must be a lot of people photoshopping then. But now it says 55 hp...??????

Honda_CBR400_R_1.jpg

Honda_CBR400_R_450x345.jpg

f0061705_2213027.jpg

Edited by KRS1

must be a lot of people photoshopping then.

Well done. I think you're starting to understand.

BTW those last pics have been around since 2011...

Edited by siampreggers

must be a lot of people photoshopping then. But now it says 55 hp...??????

Honda_CBR400_R_1.jpg

Honda_CBR400_R_450x345.jpg

f0061705_2213027.jpg

^^ That doesn't mean 55 Bhp, it means 55 "man - yen", or 550,000 Japanese Yen

And I think it says "The engine is a 400cc two-cylinder" down the bottom??