Shuttle Service Don Mueang-Suvarnabhumi Airports Starts Oct 1

Lite Beer

Shuttle service Don Mueang-Suvarnabhumi airports starts Oct 1

BANGKOK, Sept 11 - Airports of Thailand (AoT), operator of the country’s commercial airports, said Tuesday that shuttle bus services between Bangkok’s two commercial airports will be provided for passengers with connecting flights starting next month.

AoT Vice President Somchai Sawasdipol said the shuttle bus services will be offered for passengers between Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Don Mueang Airport next month after low-cost carriers move their operations bases to the capital’s original international gateway Oct 1.

Mr Somchai, also director of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said four buses will be on service hourly from 6am to 10pm between Don Mueang-Suvarnabhumi airports.

He said the services will give passengers more convenience and that the buses will run on the expressway with airport to airport services.

Passengers board buses at the first floor of Don Mueang Airport's Terminal 1 and debark at the second floor of Suvarnabhumi’s Terminal Building, Gate 3, said the AoT executive.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Transport Authority (BMTA) began bus service between the two airports Aug 1 but bus 555 serves not only passengers but also the general public, stopping at municipal bus stops enroute between the airports, not only airport to airport.

Regarding relocating low-cost airlines to Don Mueang, Mr Somchai said the passenger loads at Suvarnabhumi are expected to decrease by 10,000 daily, from the total 130,000 passengers.

The service came as the Cabinet in June approved the Don Mueang Airport development project to alleviate congestion at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

AoT President Anirut Thanomkulbutra earlier said at least 14 airlines were persuaded to shift their operations back to Don Mueang Airport, which is intended to serve low cost airlines and domestic flights.

Thai AirAsia, Thailand's largest low-cost air carrier, was among the carriers relocating its operations from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang Airport from Oct 1. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-11

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is wrong with Bus line 555 going every 30 minutes ?

Stops about 5 times between the airports,

And the 555 minibus route uses 100% expressways.

Oh right no tea-money on new busses...

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 555 - please continue to use it.

Means more space for others (like me) who will use the new non-stop, point-to-point, dedicated airport shuttle. clap2.gif

What is wrong with Bus line 555 going every 30 minutes ?

Stops about 5 times between the airports,

And the 555 minibus route uses 100% expressways.

Oh right no tea-money on new busses...

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 555 - please continue to use it.

Means more space for others (like me) who will use the new non-stop, point-to-point, dedicated airport shuttle. clap2.gif

How easy is either the bus or the airport shuttle for passengers that have 2-3 bags?

How easy is either the bus or the airport shuttle for passengers that have 2-3 bags?

The one time I used the public bus (555 Swampy to DM) it was extremely inconvenient. Dropped off on the other side of the road to the terminal, which meant lugging 1 large + 1 small suitcase up steep stairs to the overpass to cross the busy road into the terminal.

Never again.

Number of available buses: 4

Number of seats per bus: 50?

Expected time of journey including boarding and deboarding: 1 hour?

Number of possible journeys per bus per day: 8 in each direction, 16 in total

Total available journeys: 64

Total seats available 64 x 50 = 3200

AOT declares that there will be 10,000 less passengers from Swampy.

Which means 20,000 movements between the airports.

Ahhhhhh.....

Good business for the taxibranche?

And bus 555?

Anyone wants to try out a new hugely profitable luxury bus service?

Or maybe SRT will wake up and will soon build branch line between Swampy and the eastern railway line.

All necessary points are already there and both the eastern and the northern line are very much underused..

I think.

20,000 passengers mean 400 journeys.

Maybe AOT should hire some more buses?

The one time I used the public bus (555 Swampy to DM) it was extremely inconvenient. Dropped off on the other side of the road to the terminal, which meant lugging 1 large + 1 small suitcase up steep stairs to the overpass to cross the busy road into the terminal.

Never again.

Any idea how it works in the other direction? DM to Swampy?

Ahhhhhh.....

And bus 555?

Or maybe SRT will wake up and will soon build branch line between Swampy and the eastern railway line.

All necessary points are already there and both the eastern and the northern line are very much underused..

I think.

Your math is excellent.

But your premise is wrong.

Never again.

Any idea how it works in the other direction? DM to Swampy?

Sorry - no.

Do people really have no brains at all? Never ever been on a bus? In 99,99% of buslines A->B works much the same as B-> A. or do you think these buses are on purpose built to be thrown away after arriavl at DMK (apparently to be named BAK as airline code). Just open eyes, find information, open mouth, ASK-yes, they speak english and will have told this a few 1000 times before you- anf follow those directions. I bet that the timetable will even be the same as from BKK=Swampy: ev. hour on the hour-in times that flights arrive.

Do people really have no brains at all? Never ever been on a bus? In 99,99% of buslines A->B works much the same as B-> A. or do you think these buses are on purpose built to be thrown away after arriavl at DMK (apparently to be named BAK as airline code). Just open eyes, find information, open mouth, ASK-yes, they speak english and will have told this a few 1000 times before you- anf follow those directions. I bet that the timetable will even be the same as from BKK=Swampy: ev. hour on the hour-in times that flights arrive.

Pardon my lack of adequate knowledge on the subject, asanee. Brains, yes. Experience with travel inside Thailand? No. Travel on a public bus? No. DMK and BKK are two different airports, therefore I did not think it was a stupid or unreasonable question to ask if the routine was the same going in both directions. So let me get more specific. Safe to assume DMK is not the same layout as BKK -- are there a billion steps at BKK as well? Does the BKK route get dropped off on the right side of the terminal, or do you have to lug your stuff up steps to an overpass there as well? If you didn't mean any offence with your post, great (though most people I know would get slightly offended at the mention of their lack of brains). If you meant it as advice, next time try and leave the insult out of the response before you hit reply. And uh, even you said in your post to ASK. I just prefer to ask my questions before I arrive somewhere so I am better equipped to handle the situation. I will remember next time to word my question absolutely crystal clear so folks such as yourself don't assume I'm an idiot. Have a nice day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nicole.

I'm a little like you.

I like to have everything covered before I travel.

No surprises.

I think, for us, the imperative is to transfer, airport to airport, with a minimum of fuss and disruption.

Using the 555 is cheaper, but not door to door.

It will stop at a number of locations to pick up non airport passengers, and for this reason will take longer.

You will also be struggling with your baggage as these will have to be lugged into the bus.

On the other hand baggage on the shuttle coach is normally placed in the luggage compartment, you will be transported airport to airport and alight at the airport arrivals section, as destinct from across the road with the 555 domestic bus.

Shuttle frequencies will be similar in both directions.

Quote:

Mr Somchai, also director of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said four buses will be on service hourly from 6am to 10pm between Don Mueang-Suvarnabhumi airports.

He said the services will give passengers more convenience and that the buses will run on the expressway.

Passengers board buses at the first floor of Don Mueang Airport’s Terminal 1 and debark at the second floor of Suvarnabhumi’s Terminal Building, Gate 3, said the AoT executive.

I'm sure will be be fine, but allow plenty of time should unforeseen delays occur, ensuring you check in on time.

Enjoy your holiday. smile.png

Pardon my lack of adequate knowledge on the subject, asanee. Brains, yes. Experience with travel inside Thailand? No. Travel on a public bus? No. DMK and BKK are two different airports, therefore I did not think it was a stupid or unreasonable question to ask if the routine was the same going in both directions. So let me get more specific. Safe to assume DMK is not the same layout as BKK -- are there a billion steps at BKK as well? Does the BKK route get dropped off on the right side of the terminal, or do you have to lug your stuff up steps to an overpass there as well? If you didn't mean any offence with your post, great (though most people I know would get slightly offended at the mention of their lack of brains). If you meant it as advice, next time try and leave the insult out of the response before you hit reply. And uh, even you said in your post to ASK. I just prefer to ask my questions before I arrive somewhere so I am better equipped to handle the situation. I will remember next time to word my question absolutely crystal clear so folks such as yourself don't assume I'm an idiot. Have a nice day.

Nicole, you'll have to forgive Khun Asanee being blunt but there sometimes a number of silly queries posted on TV by lazy folk and he is a wealth of knowledge on transport issues who does take the time to provide great info. I also like the fact that he is able to mix it with the non Thais who mostly of course show little cultural refrain from being blunt and rude to each other.

Anyway all of that aside, I do appreciate you need to be specific and your query is most pertinent. I have not seen the shuttle bus yet but you can assume that it will drop you off at DMK T1 at the arrivals level and you'll just take a lift up to departures, so no stairs. Should be nice and easy as before when there was a airport bus service to/from DMK.

Now, I say assume which is a term I use very rarely when it comes to transport issues I have not personally experienced. The AOT is not world class but they do get a lot right while stuffing up other things. In any event, I will personally be confirming such later this week when I swing by DMK T1. I will msg you IF what I have suggested is not the reality.

Most likely in the next day or two someone will also post their own confirmation/experience on this thread.

Did it not say 4 hourly?

Ahhhhhh.....

And bus 555?

I think.

F.S.W.

Is it 4 per hour? Or what?

The article seems clear that it is a service every hour from 6am to 10pm ie. 16 services each way, each day. It infers on the hour departure but I'd want someone to confirm that before I'd rely on it.

The reality however may be somewhat different, so we just need to wait for the first person to post about their experience of taking it.

Also, there are a few other train, bus and van options as a back up (just check the list in the other threads) should a person need it - again assuming that they want to save a few hundred baht on a taxi.

Trip report from this mornings shuttle bus ride.

I went from Suvanabhumi to Don Mueang to take an Air Asia flight.

Easy to find, straight outside Door 3 on ground floor.

I took the 0900 bus, it left exactly on time.

Smooth trip until we hit the second toll booths just past Piyavate Hospital near Makkasan around 0920 - took about 10 minutes to get through that bottle neck.

Then smooth sailing again until DMK.

Arrived just after 0950.

There only 15 people on the bus. Nobody asked to see my Air Asia ticket....

Hope this helps

SVB

EDIT - Only on the hour...

Easy to find, straight outside Door 3 on ground floor.

I took the 0900 bus, it left exactly on time.

Smooth trip until we hit the second toll booths just past Piyavate Hospital near Makkasan around 0920 - took about 10 minutes to get through that bottle neck.

Then smooth sailing again until DMK.

Arrived just after 0950.

There only 15 people on the bus. Nobody asked to see my Air Asia ticket....

Hope this helps

SVB

EDIT - Only on the hour...

Good info and first trip report on this thread which helps Nicole and others.

I summary it seems it is free, departing on the hour using BMTA buses and ONLY for ticket holders. So non ticket holders have to take the 555 bus if they want, or a van.

Your trip only took 50 mins AND at morning peak hour!!! Which goes to show that all the false worry warts who said it will take 3-4hrs to transfer really need to see what the overwhelming majority of people experience.

There is also this amazingly excellent trip report with pics on tripadvisor which TV user crawforb linked, However, I will point out the small issue that it was done prior to the 1st. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k5788604-FYI_Overview_of_the_new_AirAsia_AoT_inter_airport_shuttle-Thailand.html

Has anyone tried this the other way (From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi)? I'm flying into Don Muang next week, then have to catch an international flight the next day from Suvarnabhumi. We are going to spend the night somewhere near Suvarnabhumi as the flight leaves pretty early the next day.

Would I be able to use the service by showing an international ticket for the next day?

Cheers,

Sheba

Has anyone tried this the other way (From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi)? I'm flying into Don Muang next week, then have to catch an international flight the next day from Suvarnabhumi. We are going to spend the night somewhere near Suvarnabhumi as the flight leaves pretty early the next day.

Would I be able to use the service by showing an international ticket for the next day?

Cheers,

Sheba

Found this in the link stated in the post above yours:

Notes: You CAN use the bus even IF your ticket is:

a) for the NEXT or was for the PREVIOUS day, or

B) for travel to BKK or DMK and you are using the shuttle simply to get to the OTHER airport but do NOT have an onward flight from that other airport.

J!!!

Thanks SVB

Can I ask about the luggage?

Do you carry it into the coach with you or place in in a luggage hold?

If carried into the coach are suitable luggage holding racks fitted?

Archived