Us Ambassador Chris Stevens Killed In Libya

webfact

BREAKING

US ambassador 'killed in Libya'

BENGHAZI: -- The US ambassador to Libya has died after being attacked by militiamen storming the US consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi, reports say.

The ambassador was said to be among four US officials killed in a protest over a US-produced film that is said to insult the Prophet Muhammad.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk...africa-19570254

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2012-09-12

• Like 1

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US ambassador to Libya, 3 staff killed in Benghazi attack over 'anti-Islam' film

Agencies

BEIRUT: -- The US ambassador to Libya and three other embassy staff were killed in a rocket attack on Tuesday in the Libyan city of Benghazi, a Libyan official said. It was not clear if the ambassador was in his car or the Libyan consulate when the attack occurred. "The Libyan ambassador and three staff members were killed when gunmen fired rockets at them," the official in Benghazi told Reuters.

Hundreds of protesters, angered by an US movie that allegedly insulted Prophet Mohammad, broke into the US consulate building in Benghazi.

The report said the US ambassador died of suffocation, as protesters set fire at the scene.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton confirmed that "a staff member" died in the conflict.

An armed mob protesting over a film deemed offensive to Islam attacked on Tuesday the US consulate in Benghazi killing an American, hours after angry Islamists stormed Washington's embassy in Cairo.

"Demonstrators attacked the US consulate in Benghazi. They fired shots in the air before entering the building," said Libya's deputy interior minister Wanis al-Sharif, who is in charge of the country's eastern region.

Abdelmonoem al-Horr, spokesman for the Libyan interior ministry's security commission, said rocket-propelled grenades were fired at the consulate from a nearby farm.

Security forces and the interior ministry were trying to contain the situation, he added.

Witnesses said the attackers ripped up an American flag, then looted the consulate before setting it on fire on the eleventh anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

Full story: http://www.hindustan...le1-928641.aspx

-- Hindustan Times 2012-09-12

footer_n.gif

US ambassador to Libya killed during attack

Libya's Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abu Shagur said the US ambassador to the country, J. Christopher Stevens, was killed during an attack on the consulate in Benghazi yesterday.

"I condemn the cowardly and criminal act that the U.S. consulate in Benghazi was subjected to and the killing of the ambassador and his companions," Abu Shagur said on his Twitter account.

The death of the ambassador was reported by Sky News Arabia, citing unidentified people. The channel said three other people were killed. The State Department confirmed a diplomat's death without identifying the victim.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.a...0912-25soa.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2012-09-12

footer_n.gif

Two attacks on two separate US embassies on the same day, the 11th anniversary of September 11th, saying the film is offensive is just the cover for the true intent. Well, sleep with scorpians and you get stung.

Edited by TomTao
  • Like 2

Here is the movie on youtube, not sure how long it will stay online now. Whilst it is poorly made albeit with a huge budget by all accounts, I am not sure there is much in it that is inaccurate. It dioes however make the Danish Cartoons look like an Islamic information article designed by clerics, makes the Quran burnings seem of no consequence to Muslims.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC6yGzpSvjU

Edited by GentlemanJim

What triggered these attacks.

I reckon the film is inflammatory but it's just a film made by an Israeli in L.A..

http://www.washingto...f8eb_story.html

The two-hour movie, “Innocence of Muslims,” cost $5 million to make and was financed with the help of more than 100 Jewish donors, said Bacile, who wrote and directed it.

The film claims Muhammad was a fraud. An English-language 13-minute trailer on YouTube shows an amateur cast performing a wooden dialogue of insults disguised as revelations about Muhammad, whose obedient followers are presented as a cadre of goons.

Can someone find a link to watch the film?

Crappy movie or not, the west should never let ourselves be intimidated to suppress freedom of speech and expression by fanatic violent backwards thinking fundamentalists of any flavor.

Does this mean the U.S. will close the embassy in Libya and Egypt?

highly unlikely

Edited by simple1

What triggered these attacks.

I reckon the film is inflammatory but it's just a film made by an Israeli in L.A..

http://www.washingto...f8eb_story.html

The two-hour movie, “Innocence of Muslims,” cost $5 million to make and was financed with the help of more than 100 Jewish donors, said Bacile, who wrote and directed it.

The film claims Muhammad was a fraud. An English-language 13-minute trailer on YouTube shows an amateur cast performing a wooden dialogue of insults disguised as revelations about Muhammad, whose obedient followers are presented as a cadre of goons.

Can someone find a link to watch the film?

Crappy movie or not, the west should never let ourselves be intimidated to suppress freedom of speech and expression by fanatic violent backwards thinking fundamentalists of any flavor.

Does this mean the U.S. will close the embassy in Libya and Egypt?

highly unlikely

Well, good, but I hope they have hazard duty bonuses. coffee1.gif

Here is the movie on youtube, not sure how long it will stay online now. Whilst it is poorly made albeit with a huge budget by all accounts, I am not sure there is much in it that is inaccurate. It dioes however make the Danish Cartoons look like an Islamic information article designed by clerics, makes the Quran burnings seem of no consequence to Muslims.!

after what Salman Rushdie had to endure for so many years the film director surely must have known

what he was putting on the line by making this film?

Anti-Islam Filmmaker In Hiding After Protests

http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=160985752

Edited by midas

The film is just an excuse, a smokescreen for their true motivation...

“Democracy is among the menaces we inherited from an alien government. It is part of the system we are fighting against… It is not possible to work within a democracy and establish an Islamic system… If Allah gives us a chance, we will try to bring in the pure concept of an Islamic Caliphate.''

"The notion of the sovereignty of the people is anti-Islamic. Only Allah is sovereign.''

Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, the leader of the Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorist organization.

• Like 1

I have to say this entire thing begs some serious questions. the movie really does make the cartoons/Salman Rushdie and Quoran burning a non event. The purpose of the movie is clearly to antagonize/offend. Regardless of freedom of speech (how come some people that mention that think Assange should be in jail for wikileaks) there was only going to be one outcome from this movie, and I fear it is going to be explosive.

The death of the US Ambassador will be a tragic occurrence on many accounts, for his family, for the USA and for the normal people of Libya. I honestly do not think the trouble has even started concerning the movie. By the end of Friday prayers this week, 1/2 billion people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Middle East will be on the rampage. This will endanger the lives of more US troops than wikileaks that's for sure. I really fear there is big trouble here and POTUS needs to find out exactly who funded this movie to the tune of $5 mill, because the purpose is definitely not artistic.

If you are in 'those parts' of the world, stay safe folks!

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

“Democracy is among the menaces we inherited from an alien government. It is part of the system we are fighting against… It is not possible to work within a democracy and establish an Islamic system… If Allah gives us a chance, we will try to bring in the pure concept of an Islamic Caliphate.''

"The notion of the sovereignty of the people is anti-Islamic. Only Allah is sovereign.''

Looks like the film is a deliberate and direct provocation.

• Like 2

That's not really true, is it? Population growth is one way of taking control of democracy, and that seems to be quite the trait here. Especially when you can have four wives churning them out.

I just watched part of the film. I am all for free speech, but whoever put it together should be held accountable for the bad acting. I can't believe that it cost 5 million dollars to make. 5 hundred sounds more like it. blink.png

"A consultant on the film, Steve Klein, said the filmmaker is concerned for family members who live in Egypt. Bacile declined to confirm."

Yes, I bet they're chuffed to bits with him as well.