Us Ambassador Chris Stevens Killed In Libya

webfact

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U.S. Ambassador Stevens killed in attack on consulate in Libya < br />

2012-09-12 20:09:54 GMT+7 (ICT)

BENGHAZI, LIBYA (BNO NEWS) -- Protesters angry about an online video considered offensive to Islam attacked U.S. diplomatic compounds in Libya and Egypt on Tuesday, killing U.S. Ambassador John Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, Libyan and U.S. officials said on Wednesday.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Stevens died on Tuesday evening from injuries he sustained in an attack on the U.S. consulate in the Libyan port city of Benghazi, which served as the country's rebel capital least year during an eight-month-long civil war. There were conflicting reports whether he died as a result of a fire or in a rocket attack.

Libyan Deputy Interior Minister Wanis al-Sharif said Stevens died at a local hospital, though images from the scene showed the body of a man strongly resembling Stevens, indicating he may have died before he was taken to a hospital. Security sources told Al Jazeera that Stevens and two other Americans died of smoke inhalation.

U.S. President Barack Obama strongly condemned what he described as an "outrageous" attack. "(The victims) exemplified America's commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe, and stand in stark contrast to those who callously took their lives," he said in a written statement released by the White House.

Obama added: "Chris was a courageous and exemplary representative of the United States. Throughout the Libyan revolution, he selflessly served our country and the Libyan people at our mission in Benghazi. As Ambassador in Tripoli, he has supported Libya's transition to democracy. His legacy will endure wherever human beings reach for liberty and justice. I am profoundly grateful for his service to my Administration, and deeply saddened by this loss."

Obama said he directed his Administration to provide all necessary resources to support the security of diplomatic personnel in Libya, and to increase security at American diplomatic posts around the globe. "While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants," he added.

A White House official said Obama was informed of the situation in Libya by National Security Advisor Tom Donilon as he started a meeting on Tuesday afternoon. "The President was notified last night that Ambassador Stevens was unaccounted for and then notified again this morning about his tragic death," the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said.

Clinton identified the second victim in the attack as Foreign Service Information Management Officer Sean Smith. "Sean Smith was a husband and a father of two, who joined the Department ten years ago," she said in a statement. "Like Chris, Sean was one of our best. Prior to arriving in Benghazi, he served in Baghdad, Pretoria, Montreal, and most recently The Hague."

Libyan Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abushagur also strongly condemned the attack in messages on his official Twitter account. "Amb. Stevens was a friend of Libya and we are shocked at the attacks on the US consulate in Benghazi," he wrote. "I condemn these barbaric acts in the strongest possible terms. This is an attack on America, Libya and free people everywhere."

It is the first time in more than three decades that a U.S. Ambassador has been killed as a result of hostile action, according to the U.S. State Department historian's office. Adolph Dubs, the U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan, was abducted by militants in February 1979 and later killed in a shootout between his abductors and police.

The protests in Libya and Egypt were sparked by a 14-minute English-language trailer for an amateur movie called "Innocence of Muslims". The movie, which cost more than $5 million to make and has 59 actors, depicts Islam's Prophet Muhammad as a fraud and feckless philanderer who approved of child sexual abuse. It also includes other insulting claims.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-09-12

footer_n.gif

I just hope that this incident does not become poitical fodder in the US election.

I think news of this film getting circulated in the muslim world is directly linked to this:

(Reuters) - In a highly unusual rebuff to a close ally, the White House said on Tuesday that President Barack Obama would not meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a U.S. visit later this month, as tensions escalated over how to deal with Iran's nuclear program.

Would the Israelis try and put Obama on the spot?

Of course they would. They want the Neocons back in power.

I have to say this entire thing begs some serious questions. the movie really does make the cartoons/Salman Rushdie and Quoran burning a non event. The purpose of the movie is clearly to antagonize/offend. Regardless of freedom of speech (how come some people that mention that think Assange should be in jail for wikileaks) there was only going to be one outcome from this movie, and I fear it is going to be explosive.

The death of the US Ambassador will be a tragic occurrence on many accounts, for his family, for the USA and for the normal people of Libya. I honestly do not think the trouble has even started concerning the movie. By the end of Friday prayers this week, 1/2 billion people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Middle East will be on the rampage. This will endanger the lives of more US troops than wikileaks that's for sure. I really fear there is big trouble here and POTUS needs to find out exactly who funded this movie to the tune of $5 mill, because the purpose is definitely not artistic.

If you are in 'those parts' of the world, stay safe folks!

Touché laugh.png

How odd. The airwaves of Arab countries are filled with TV shows and films thatt denigrate and insult various groups, but not a word of protest. Christians are now being accused of blasphemy on a regular basis in Pakistan and Bangladesh and the Christian community in the west stays silent. Now, some film made in the USA comes out, a film, that I doubt anyone was interested in, and that was difficult to find, is used as an excuse to murder and attack non implicated parties.

Coincidence that the attacks occurred on 9-11? I don't think so.

The arab world still doesn't get it: People are allowed to express their views in the west and governments cannot just go and trample on the right to do so. Just as some arabs in the USA had the right to dance and celebrate following the attacks of 9-11, others in the USA have a right to put out low quality films.

I have to wonder why the security at the US embassy was not ramped up.

BTW, the Canadian government had formally closed its embassy in Iran the day before and the 5 day removal period on the Iranian embassy staff in Canada expired on 9-11. At the time, it was said the Canadian government did so because it was expecting trouble in Iran and because the Iranian government was using the uts Ottawa embassy as a base for spying and covert operations. Interesting coincidence? I don't think so.

Western governments knew something was on the way. I know that many western embassies go to high alert in the period around 9-11 and security at US facilities is stepped up even in the west. Something really went wrong in Libya and the security team, both State and the USMC guards, are going to face some tough questions.

I just hope that this incident does not become poitical fodder in the US election.

GK

Where on earth do we start with this one? I know that you are an intelligent person, it is in (some) of your posts, but evidently not this one. The freedom of speech thing is irrelevant, anyone with half a brain knows that putting this stuff on the internet was going to get one reaction and one reaction only, and that was violence. Yes it is bad that the extremists did the attacks on Sep 11, but hang on a minute, the videos have been uploaded to youtube on 9/11. Is that just pure coincidence by the makers or was it done to gain maximum effect. The Sam Becile is directly responsible for the death of the US Ambassador.

We all know what reaction the cartoons got, and the book burning, do you think for a moment they made a $5 million dollar budget crappy movie without thinking what the consequences were? It would have been the main topic of conversation throughout!

This has been a grossly irresponsible act and there will be more deaths to follow after the Imams whip everyone in to a frenzy at Friday prayers.

The movie was funded, made and released by Israeli's and uploaded on 9/11, how frigging smart was that?

You said

The arab world still doesn't get it: People are allowed to express their views in the west and governments cannot just go and trample on the right to do so. Just as some arabs in the USA had the right to dance and celebrate following the attacks of 9-11, others in the USA have a right to put out low quality films.

You have a short memory, what your line should have read was

"Just as some arabs and Israeli's in the USA had the right to dance and celebrate following the attacks of 9-11" because that is what happened, remember?

You seem to be more worried that this event will be brought up in the US elections, it's going to go a lot lot further than that. If anyone wanted to give Iran the willingness to launch a nuke then this is it. It is mind blowingly stupid.

You harp on about freedom of speech when it suits you, these film makers should be allowed to say and do whatever they want, yet with that precedent in mind, you are one of those that think Assange and wikileaks should be taken to the gallows. This movie endangers more lives of servicemen and US civilians abroad than wikileaks could have done in a hundred years.

There is big big trouble on the way, mark my words and people will die because of this movie makers 'rights'. At least someone has realised the implications and cut youtube from being seen in Afghanistan.

• Like 1

The freedom of speech thing is irrelevant,

Wrong. It is very relevant. The US government has nothing to do with what someone wants to post on Youtube and no one has the right to murder Embassy personnel because they object to it.

yes but after urinating on dead Afghan bodies, you would have thought the US government would have pulled out

all stops to prevent these kind of insensitive actions particularly if " winning hearts and minds " is meant to mean anything at all?

• Like 1

How odd. The airwaves of Arab countries are filled with TV shows and films thatt denigrate and insult various groups, but not a word of protest. Christians are now being accused of blasphemy on a regular basis in Pakistan and Bangladesh and the Christian community in the west stays silent. Now, some film made in the USA comes out, a film, that I doubt anyone was interested in, and that was difficult to find, is used as an excuse to murder and attack non implicated parties.

BTW, the Canadian government had formally closed its embassy in Iran the day before and the 5 day removal period on the Iranian embassy staff in Canada expired on 9-11. At the time, it was said the Canadian government did so because it was expecting trouble in Iran and because the Iranian government was using the uts Ottawa embassy as a base for spying and covert operations. Interesting coincidence? I don't think so.

Western governments knew something was on the way. I know that many western embassies go to high alert in the period around 9-11 and security at US facilities is stepped up even in the west. Something really went wrong in Libya and the security team, both State and the USMC guards, are going to face some tough questions.

I believe, like the Canadian embassy, the US embassy in Egypt has already been evacuated because of expected trouble.

GK

Where on earth do we start with this one? I know that you are an intelligent person, it is in (some) of your posts, but evidently not this one. The freedom of speech thing is irrelevant, anyone with half a brain knows that putting this stuff on the internet was going to get one reaction and one reaction only, and that was violence. Yes it is bad that the extremists did the attacks on Sep 11, but hang on a minute, the videos have been uploaded to youtube on 9/11. Is that just pure coincidence by the makers or was it done to gain maximum effect. The Sam Becile is directly responsible for the death of the US Ambassador.

We all know what reaction the cartoons got, and the book burning, do you think for a moment they made a $5 million dollar budget crappy movie without thinking what the consequences were? It would have been the main topic of conversation throughout!

This has been a grossly irresponsible act and there will be more deaths to follow after the Imams whip everyone in to a frenzy at Friday prayers.

The movie was funded, made and released by Israeli's and uploaded on 9/11, how frigging smart was that?

You said

You have a short memory, what your line should have read was

"Just as some arabs and Israeli's in the USA had the right to dance and celebrate following the attacks of 9-11" because that is what happened, remember?

You seem to be more worried that this event will be brought up in the US elections, it's going to go a lot lot further than that. If anyone wanted to give Iran the willingness to launch a nuke then this is it. It is mind blowingly stupid.

You harp on about freedom of speech when it suits you, these film makers should be allowed to say and do whatever they want, yet with that precedent in mind, you are one of those that think Assange and wikileaks should be taken to the gallows. This movie endangers more lives of servicemen and US civilians abroad than wikileaks could have done in a hundred years.

There is big big trouble on the way, mark my words and people will die because of this movie makers 'rights'. At least someone has realised the implications and cut youtube from being seen in Afghanistan.

GentlemanJim, you are spot on and dead right.

I fully agree with you about this senseless act of deliberate ( and well funded ) provocation and insanity.

A cynical and ugly attempt at manipulation and provocation.

Stupid people are trying to influence the world.

The freedom of speech thing is irrelevant,

Wrong. It is very relevant. The US government has nothing to do with what someone wants to post on Youtube and no one has the right to murder Embassy personnel because they object to it.

Not one person on this site will say that someone has the right to murder embassy staff or any other person over a stupid crappy movie. But 99.99% of people on here, if they were shown that movie first would have said, for God's sake do not upload that, there will be riots in the streets and murder because of it. Freedom of speech comes with a responsibility. You are another one who is now defending freedom of speech yet thinks Assange should be imprisoned for exercising the exact same right. You can't have it both ways Ulysees.

So just imagine if more than one film exposing Islam for what it is was shown. But of course if funding came from Hollywood then it was probably controlled by Jewish interests. If this film was financed as alleged by Israeli's then that obviously inflames the situation. Our next world war - and make no mistake - it's coming. It is only a matter of time.

That 13 minute clip on youtube was a sampler.

I don't think the entire film is on youtube.

In any case, it was a very awful sampler.

Commenting on the film quality.

It wasn't really watchable. Imagine the film length version.

In any case, protesting over a film nobody in their right mind would really want to watch is nutziod. To kill over it, beyond the pale.

The full film has been shown once, to a mostly empty theater in Hollywood earlier this year, said Bacile.
http://www.huffingto..._n_1876044.html Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

What triggered these attacks.

I reckon the film is inflammatory but it's just a film made by an Israeli in L.A..

http://www.washingto...f8eb_story.html

The two-hour movie, “Innocence of Muslims,” cost $5 million to make and was financed with the help of more than 100 Jewish donors, said Bacile, who wrote and directed it.

The film claims Muhammad was a fraud. An English-language 13-minute trailer on YouTube shows an amateur cast performing a wooden dialogue of insults disguised as revelations about Muhammad, whose obedient followers are presented as a cadre of goons.

Can someone find a link to watch the film?

Crappy movie or not, the west should never let ourselves be intimidated to suppress freedom of speech and expression by fanatic violent backwards thinking fundamentalists of any flavor.

Does this mean the U.S. will close the embassy in Libya and Egypt?

A truly awful clip to watch. It made very little sense and hard to believe that a $5 million dollars could have been spent if that is an example

Edited by BookMan

In any case, protesting over a film nobody in their right mind would really want to watch is nutziod. To kill over it, beyond the pale.

The full film has been shown once, to a mostly empty theater in Hollywood earlier this year, said Bacile.
http://www.huffingto..._n_1876044.html

Yeah, one bad home movie for sure. The guy's fake name is Sam Bacile? Like Im Becile?

They are parading the Ambassador's dead body through the streets.

??

Seriously? Is there a news link.

http://www.thegatewa...in-the-streets/

It's awful for a man who spent 2 years in the region teaching English with the Peace Corps, then most of his 10 yr diplomatic career in the Middle East North Africa. Someone who wasn't a political appointee, but someone truly interested in the region and people.

Edited by koheesti

So just imagine if more than one film exposing Islam for what it is was shown. But of course if funding came from Hollywood then it was probably controlled by Jewish interests. If this film was financed as alleged by Israeli's then that obviously inflames the situation. Our next world war - and make no mistake - it's coming. It is only a matter of time.

Happily, most of the film product out of 'Jewish controlled Hollywood'rolleyes.gif is much more entertaining! But there are lots of out of work waiters actors in L.A.!

Apparently there is another film from that cretinous American bible basher.

YouTube has been banned in Afghanistan to prevent the viewing of a US-made film that sparked an attack on the US Embassy in Benghazi, which left the US ambassador and three others dead.

Many see the movie as being insulting to the Prophet Muhammad.

"We have been told to shut down YouTube to the Afghan public until the video is taken down," Aimal Marjan, general director of Information Technology at the ministry, told Reuters.

There are conflicting reports about which film sparked the anger of the protesters.

One, entitled Muhammad's Trial, the film, which was widely circulated on YouTube, depicts a mock trial of the prophet, and is reportedly linked to controversial Florida pastor Terry Jones, who gained notoriety in the US and throughout the Muslim world for threatening to burn a Koran.

The pastor was also behind “International Judge Muhammad Day”, an online show trial symbolically held on 11 September, in which the Prophet was to "stand trial" before an international audience.

Another film, Innocence of Muslims, posted on YouTube, was also cited as the cause of the violence.

The US ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other embassy staff were killed in a rocket attack in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi overnight on Tuesday.

One of the other three Americans killed was identified as Foreign Service Information Management Officer Sean Smith, the White House confirmed.

A tweet, from the account of the deputy prime minister of Libya, described the attacks as "cowardly".

The Libyan official said Mr Stevens had been trying to make his way to safety after protesters tried to storm the consulate in Benghazi and opened fire, killing a staff member, in protest at the YouTube film.

The old Clash of Civilisations theory - ain't going to happen

• Like 1

They are parading the Ambassador's dead body through the streets.

??

Seriously? Is there a news link.

http://www.thegatewa...in-the-streets/

It's awful for a man who spent 2 years in the region teaching English with the Peace Corps, then most of his 10 yr diplomatic career in the Middle East North Africa. Someone who wasn't a political appointee, but someone truly interested in the region and people.

Clinton and Obama say that the people taking his body were FRIENDLIES and they were taking it to the hospital. Looking at the pictures, that could be the case. The link in the blog is a right wing anti-Obama site trying to use this tragedy politically.
  • Like 2

http://www.huffingto..._n_1876044.html

Yeah, one bad home movie for sure. The guy's fake name is Sam Bacile? Like Im Becile?

Well whatever his name is maybe he could be prosecuted?

When the Mel Gibson movie “The Passion of the Christ,” came out in 2004 a Jewish group led by Ephraim ben Laibl said the movie violated "Hate Crime Laws" and that “ civil, criminal, and Federal hate-crime laws, as appropriate, be utilized not only against the perpetrators involved in each and every act which it has encouraged, but against the directors, producers, and screen writers responsible for the work itself."

Edited by midas
  • Like 1