Us Ambassador Chris Stevens Killed In Libya

webfact

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are parading the Ambassador's dead body through the streets.

??

Seriously? Is there a news link.

http://www.thegatewa...in-the-streets/

It's awful for a man who spent 2 years in the region teaching English with the Peace Corps, then most of his 10 yr diplomatic career in the Middle East North Africa. Someone who wasn't a political appointee, but someone truly interested in the region and people.

Clinton and Obama say that the people taking his body were FRIENDLIES and they were taking it to the hospital. Looking at the pictures, that could be the case.

I hope it is.

I just read the NY Post piece and the caption they have under one of the photos is,...

"
Libyan civilians help an unconscious Chris Stevens, at the US consulate compound in Benghazi . Stevens and three of his colleagues were killed in an attack on the US consulate.

Read more:
"
Edited by koheesti

It's awful for a man who spent 2 years in the region teaching English with the Peace Corps, then most of his 10 yr diplomatic career in the Middle East North Africa. Someone who wasn't a political appointee, but someone truly interested in the region and people.

Clinton and Obama say that the people taking his body were FRIENDLIES and they were taking it to the hospital. Looking at the pictures, that could be the case.

I hope it is.

I just read the NY Post piece and the caption they have under one of the photos is,...

"
Libyan civilians help an unconscious Chris Stevens, at the US consulate compound in Benghazi . Stevens and three of his colleagues were killed in an attack on the US consulate.

Read more:
"

I think that is correct, I have now read many articles saying that the men were trying to get the Ambassador to safety/treatment. However, Jim Hoft of the Gateway pundit does not give a flying fig about accuracy. I imagine the publication of that picture is unbearable for the Ambassadors family to see.

Annabel

Brilliant link thanks, I have that one bookmarked now.

The freedom of speech thing is irrelevant,

Wrong. It is very relevant. The US government has nothing to do with what someone wants to post on Youtube and no one has the right to murder Embassy personnel because they object to it.

yes but after urinating on dead Afghan bodies, you would have thought the US government would have pulled out

all stops to prevent these kind of insensitive actions particularly if " winning hearts and minds " is meant to mean anything at all?

Some difference between controlling actions of soldiers and those of civilians.

Huh? How can the US government prevent anyone from posting a video on Youtube? rolleyes.gif

Department of Homeland Security monitors Facebook, Twitter and news sites for 'situational awareness'

Monitoring isn't censorship. The headline is much more ominous than the contents of the article itself.

somehow I don't think Brandon J. Raub would agree with you on that?whistling.gif

http://psvitaforum.com/threads/marine-sent-to-mental-hospital-for-facebook-posts.8864/

• Like 1

I hope it is.

"

Read more:
"

I think that is correct, I have now read many articles saying that the men were trying to get the Ambassador to safety/treatment. However, Jim Hoft of the Gateway pundit does not give a flying fig about accuracy. I imagine the publication of that picture is unbearable for the Ambassadors family to see.

In the race to be the first with the news, inaccuracies will happen. And when you see footage on an Arabic TV channel of people carrying the dead body of an American, none of the first few things to run through the mind are, "They must be helping him". In any case, I'm very happy there was a mistake in the initial report.

Edited by koheesti
  • Like 1

Huh? How can the US government prevent anyone from posting a video on Youtube? rolleyes.gif

Department of Homeland Security monitors Facebook, Twitter and news sites for 'situational awareness'

Monitoring isn't censorship. The headline is much more ominous than the contents of the article itself.

somehow I don't think Brandon J. Raub would agree with you on that?whistling.gif

http://psvitaforum.c...ook-posts.8864/

Probably not. Then again, there are quite a lot of people posting whatever is on their mind and a quite a few websites which aren't exactly supportive of the USA government. Yet you somehow don't see masses of people arrested. May I suggest spending a few years in a country with "proper" censorship, just to learn the difference?

Anyway, OT here.

Legitimate media never reported the body was dragged in the street in a hostile way. Nice try. coffee1.gif

So, you want to play politics with this? Make this a right wing - left wing thing?

No, but Romney does. His response was shameless.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/09/12/timeline_the_romney_campaign_s_odd_response_to_the_embassy_protests.html

In any case, the blog that was posted here with the dragged body lies was clearly from an unreliable source, yes, that happened to be right wing, with an obvious agenda. Hard to run from those kinds of realities.

Edited by Jingthing

Legitimate media never reported the body was dragged in the street in a hostile way. Nice try. coffee1.gif

So, you want to play politics with this? Make this a right wing - left wing thing?

http://www.slate.com...y_protests.html

In any case, the blog that was posted here with the dragged body lies was clearly from an unreliable source, yes, that happened to be right wing, with an obvious agenda. Hard to run from those kinds of realities.

Whilst Romneys behaviour make be unlikeable, your link is also outrageous. The Last two editors of 'The Slate' have been David Poltz and Jacob Weisberg, need I say more! Why did you post a link to their magazine. The disgraceful bit is that they are reporting that the movie has been made by a 'group of coptic christians' !! That is an out and out lie, published by American Israeli's concerning a movie made by American Israeli's. Totally shocking! Please stop playing these games over Israel. However much you love a nation or people you have to accept sometimes that what they do may do may be wrong.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

http://www.slate.com...y_protests.html

Whilst Romneys behaviour make be unlikeable, your link is also outrageous. The Last two editors of 'The Slate' have been David Poltz and Jacob Weisberg, need I say more! Why did you post a link to their magazine. The disgraceful bit is that they are reporting that the movie has been made by a 'group of coptic christians' !! That is an out and out lie, published by American Israeli's concerning a movie made by American Israeli's. Totally shocking! Please stop playing these games over Israel. However much you love a nation or people you have to accept sometimes that what they do may do may be wrong.

Dude, I didn't write the article. The filmmaker is an Israeli as previously mentioned on this thread -- by me. I included the link because I think Romney trying to exploit these events for political gain is very sleazy (and understandably desperate). The so called filmmaker is not acting for the Israeli government or the Jewish people any more than the infamous Danish cartoonist was acting for the Danish government or Christian people. He is acting as an individual. I don't support his movie except in the sense that I support free speech which includes tasteless speech, and I certainly don't endorse his artistic abilities which appear to be nonexistent. Who here is playing games about Israel? Not me. BTW, I don't know David Poltz and Jacob Weisberg from Adam. Those names are supposed to mean something to anyone? Need you say more? I suppose so.

Obama was not making excuses for the protesters in North Africa. He was just making it clear, the truth, that the American people support religious freedom and tolerance and that inflammatory film does not reflect the agenda of the American government.

Edited by Jingthing

Some interesting background from The Associated Press on Sam Bacile, the films maker, a 56 year old California real estate developer who identifies himself as an Israeli Jew, said, 'This is not a religious film, it is a political film'. He also says he believes the movie will help his native land by exposing Islams flaws. He obviously knew what the likely result would be after putting this film out, as do his 100 like minded financial backers, they clearly have an agenda. Meanwhile the headlines in The FT right now,"US and Israel in open feud over Iran". But i'm sure that's just a coincidence.

100 financial backers? What did they give, 25 cents each? The clip I saw on YouTube was the lowest quality I've ever seen. Really, we made 8mm films when I was a kid back in the 70s that was of a higher quality than that piece of garbage. My acting was also better if I do say so myself. ;)

The west had better start getting used to this kind of thing, it's what happens when we get into bed with these fanatics, arming them, financing them, using them as our soldiers on the ground while our Air Forces bombed Libya on a daily basis for weeks on end, pretty much destroying the infrastructure of what was, by the standards of the region, an advanced and stable country. Now our new allies are in charge, looting, stringing up dark skinned Libyans from lamp posts, driving out Christians who had always been free to practice there, including smashing up the graves of allied servicemen from WW2, all the while firing their weapons in the air and shouting Allah Akbar. Meanwhile poor old Hilary Clinton says, "How could this happen in a country we helped liberate"? ! Does she really believe this c--p? Is that how she really believes these people see us? Talk about naive and totally inept. Meanwhile the usual suspects on this forum,(although the cat seems to have got their tongue on this topic), were acting as cheerleaders for these so called "rebels" during the assault on Libya with post after post insisting they were defenceless civilians, never mind that they were 'defenceless civilians' with kalashnikovs, rocket launchers and God knows what else. And now, on any post about Syria they are doing the same thing, acting as cheerleaders to overthrow another regime which was stable and secular, and replace it with the same lunatics who are now running amok in Libya. I fully expect to see similar stories to this one emanating from Syria on a regular basis next year. But i suppose when it comes to the geopolitical interests of The USA and their allies, i.e The big prize, Iran, if they fail to install a compliant regime no longer allied with them, the next best thing is the country in chaos so that they are in no position to act as an ally. Unfortunately one of the side effects of this cynical type of policy, when so called civilised nations choose to abandon their morals and scruples by allying themselves with sworn enemies in pursuit of their own perceived naked self interests, is that events such as the ones today in Libya and Egypt will start happening on an increasingly regular basis. Sadly, decent people like Ambassador Chris Stevens, will always be the ones paying the ultimate price. Also sadly, there will probably be some decision makers in the upper echelons of power who will cynically shrug their shoulders, and declare it 'a price worth paying'. The ends justify the means.The world is on a slippery slope.

Since they will never leave us alone even if all Western nations pulled out of the Middle East completely, I guess the only alternative for peace is the nuclear option.

• Like 1

Actually it was the embassy in Egypt that made statements that Romney is now falsely trying to spin as apology:

Some more on the politics of this and how Romney stumbled:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/09/12/the-politics-of-the-libya-attack/

The White House insisted it had not approved of the Egyptian embassy statement before it was sent out. Others noted that the statement was issued prior to the attack on Ambassador John Christopher Stevens and well before his death had been confirmed.

The Obama campaign fired back at Romney; “We are shocked that, at a time when the United States of America is confronting the tragic death of one of our diplomatic officers in Libya, Governor Romney would choose to launch a political attack,” said campaign spokesman Ben Labolt.

Edited by Jingthing

Some interesting background from The Associated Press on Sam Bacile, the films maker, a 56 year old California real estate developer who identifies himself as an Israeli Jew, said, 'This is not a religious film, it is a political film'. He also says he believes the movie will help his native land by exposing Islams flaws. He obviously knew what the likely result would be after putting this film out, as do his 100 like minded financial backers, they clearly have an agenda. Meanwhile the headlines in The FT right now,"US and Israel in open feud over Iran". But i'm sure that's just a coincidence.

100 financial backers? What did they give, 25 cents each? The clip I saw on YouTube was the lowest quality I've ever seen. Really, we made 8mm films when I was a kid back in the 70s that was of a higher quality than that piece of garbage. My acting was also better if I do say so myself. wink.png

Well on average it was $50 000 each, an unbelievable $5M for the movie.

100 financial backers? What did they give, 25 cents each? The clip I saw on YouTube was the lowest quality I've ever seen. Really, we made 8mm films when I was a kid back in the 70s that was of a higher quality than that piece of garbage. My acting was also better if I do say so myself. wink.png

Well on average it was $50 000 each, an unbelievable $5M for the movie.

The catering must have been fabulous. Also consider the so called actors. If any of them had a career before this, they won't now!

The west had better start getting used to this kind of thing, it's what happens when we get into bed with these fanatics, arming them, financing them, using them as our soldiers on the ground while our Air Forces bombed Libya on a daily basis for weeks on end, pretty much destroying the infrastructure of what was, by the standards of the region, an advanced and stable country. Now our new allies are in charge, looting, stringing up dark skinned Libyans from lamp posts, driving out Christians who had always been free to practice there, including smashing up the graves of allied servicemen from WW2, all the while firing their weapons in the air and shouting Allah Akbar. Meanwhile poor old Hilary Clinton says, "How could this happen in a country we helped liberate"? ! Does she really believe this c--p? Is that how she really believes these people see us? Talk about naive and totally inept. Meanwhile the usual suspects on this forum,(although the cat seems to have got their tongue on this topic), were acting as cheerleaders for these so called "rebels" during the assault on Libya with post after post insisting they were defenceless civilians, never mind that they were 'defenceless civilians' with kalashnikovs, rocket launchers and God knows what else. And now, on any post about Syria they are doing the same thing, acting as cheerleaders to overthrow another regime which was stable and secular, and replace it with the same lunatics who are now running amok in Libya. I fully expect to see similar stories to this one emanating from Syria on a regular basis next year. But i suppose when it comes to the geopolitical interests of The USA and their allies, i.e The big prize, Iran, if they fail to install a compliant regime no longer allied with them, the next best thing is the country in chaos so that they are in no position to act as an ally. Unfortunately one of the side effects of this cynical type of policy, when so called civilised nations choose to abandon their morals and scruples by allying themselves with sworn enemies in pursuit of their own perceived naked self interests, is that events such as the ones today in Libya and Egypt will start happening on an increasingly regular basis. Sadly, decent people like Ambassador Chris Stevens, will always be the ones paying the ultimate price. Also sadly, there will probably be some decision makers in the upper echelons of power who will cynically shrug their shoulders, and declare it 'a price worth paying'. The ends justify the means.The world is on a slippery slope.

Since they will never leave us alone even if all Western nations pulled out of the Middle East completely, I guess the only alternative for peace is the nuclear option.

I think you have got it the wrong way round. The West are the ones invading, bombing and attacking their countries, not the other way round. But of course, it's their fault, they have abundant natural resources and have the temerity to want to keep it for themselves. Just a pity they don't have cabbages in the ground instead of oil, we wouldn't have bothered them then!
  • Like 2

I think you have got it the wrong way round. The West are the ones invading, bombing and attacking their countries, not the other way round. But of course, it's their fault, they have abundant natural resources and have the temerity to want to keep it for themselves. Just a pity they don't have cabbages in the ground instead of oil, we wouldn't have bothered them then!

Maybe, but there is ZERO chance that they would leave us alone if we left them alone. This must be finished sooner or later.

Inciting racial hatred through speech, press or expression has been a capital crime at least since 1946 when Julius Streicher was hung at Nurnberg.

• Like 1