Flooding Caught Sukhothai Officials Napping

webfact

INUNDATION

Flooding caught Sukhothai officials napping

PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

JANJIRA PONGRAI

THE NATION

30190302-01_big.JPG

SUKOTHAI: -- The unexpected flooding in Sukhothai municipality, affecting more than 2,500 households in six communities since Sunday, reflects clearly the failure of local authorities and the government to handle the emergency situation.

Flooding in the area was caused by breaks, some about 13 metres wide, in the flood barriers behind the Wat Ratchatanee community.

The flood waters destroyed parts of the concrete wall and leaked under the barriers, before flowing into community areas.

Authorities have only just set up a single command centre aimed at ensuring effective management and timely response, three days after the flood occurred.

The flooding was not caused by the overflow of large amounts of water from the Yom River, as in past years.

"This was an unprecedented accident," Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee, who is also chairperson of the flood management committee, told media on Tuesday at Government House and apologised to flood-hit Sukhothai residents.

He said he was unaware of the failings in the cement barriers that were built in 2001, which allowed the water to flow into the town. He said the flooding should recede in a few days.

Meanwhile, PM Yingluck Shinawatra on Tuesday instructed Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsuk to fly with officials to visit the flood-affected areas, covering 5 square kilometres, which have been under 1.5 metres deep flood water.

" Local authorities have not set up any management system to handle the flood situation," Preecha said.

"No one knows their responsibilities in dealing with the emergency. The single command centre must be set up now and working around the clock to stop flooding. If not, it will get worse," he told local authorities at the Sukhothai provincial rural roads office.

Provincial governors nationwide already have the authority to set up a command centre to handle floods. They do not need to an order from the government or Water and Flood Management Committee.

" We have to accept that Sukhothai local authorities had no experience in handling floods inside municipality areas," he said.

In the past, the overflow of large amounts of water from the Yom River has flown into rural areas of Sukhothai province, not into the urban area because authorities had built a flood barrier along the river 10 kilometres long and 6 to 7 metres high.

However, water in the Yom River damaged the lower parts of the flood barriers and seeped into the community zones around 7pm on Sunday. Initially, the leakage was small but three hours later it had drastically increased to a torrent 13 metres wide, inundating residential areas.

"We did not expect that water from Yom would break the barrier and rapidly flow from the breaches into the community zones," Sukhothai Provincial Administration Organisation chief Pannasiri Kulanartsiri, said.

In order to help the flood-affected areas in Sukhothai, Preecha said he had ordered the provincial governor and other officials to install more than 1,000 gabion baskets - heavy wire-netting containing rocks - to block water from breaking through the barriers at Wat Ratchathanee community.

He also ordered local authorities to deploy 20 pumps to drain the water back into Yom River. "We expect the floods to recede within three days," Preecha said.

"I will not leave until the construction to block the breaches is finished," he said.

Meanwhile, Royal Irrigation Division 4's chief, Archit Suwanichwong, designated by Preecha to oversee this construction, said he was not sure it would be finished within a few days due to difficulties in transporting the necessary equipment.

"If they [local authorities] had known how to block this leakage earlier when the leakage was small, a large amount of water would not have flown into the community zone," he said.

Sukhothai Governor Chakarin Plienwong said that at press time, the piling "big bags" and gabion baskets to stop flood water pouring into the municipality area had progressed by 50 per cent hence it should be completed by 3am today. Seventy pumps were also running to drain out flood water as fast as possible. He would report on the situation in detail to PM Yingluck Shinawatra during her visit today, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-13

"This was an unprecedented accident," Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee, who is also chairperson of the flood management committee

I think this man is confused bye the word "accident". He should have said, gross negligence, by failing to inspect flood barriers.and this statement says it all

He said he was unaware of the failings in the cement barriers that were built in 2001, which allowed the water to flow into the town. He said the flooding should recede in a few days.

Edited by dcutman
  • Like 1

Caught napping suggests they were caught out by something that surprised them as out of the ordinary.

Quite worrying, that they shouldn't have been on the lookout for the 1m surge of water (seeping, imaginative if a little understated)seeping into town whilst they were napping.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Flooding in the area was caused by breaks, some about 13 metres wide, in the flood barriers behind the Wat Ratchatanee community.

These are large breaks in the flood barriers. Should be no surprise that when a flood wall has breaks in it you are prone to actual flooding.

"This was an unprecedented accident," Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee, who is also chairperson of the flood management committee, told media on Tuesday at Government House and apologised to flood-hit Sukhothai residents.

Well I think this post already made me SNAP...post-4641-1156693976.gif

" We have to accept that Sukhothai local authorities had no experience in handling floods inside municipality areas," he said.

"We did not expect that water from Yom would break the barrier and rapidly flow from the breaches into the community zones," Sukhothai Provincial Administration Organisation chief Pannasiri Kulanartsiri, said.

"

didn't know. He didn't know, She didn't know, They didn't know, We didn't know..." The ultimate minimum face saving excuses....whistling.gifcheesy.gifsorry.gif

In order to help the flood-affected areas in Sukhothai, Preecha said he had ordered the provincial governor and other officials to install more than 1,000 gabion baskets - heavy wire-netting containing rocks - to B-B-B-BLOCK water from breaking through the barriers at Wat Ratchathanee community.

B-B-B-BLOCK,.... B-B-B-BLOCK, Yo, everybody let's sing the Block-rap to the hip hop beats... Block, block, block,.... block, block, block, my head is so empty, so I need to get it blockedcrazy.gifcrazy.gifclap2.gif

Edited by MaxLee

Engineering 101: if you don't inspect and maintain infrastructure; it will fail. Bridges will ultimately collapse, dams will ultimately breach, flood control structures will ultimately fail. What amazes me is that with all the money spent, they didn't start with the basics: inspect, inventory and map every existing structure; repair and reinforse where needed, then start modeling to determine what improvements will yield the best bang for the baht.

Because the money was spent to fill the own pockets and all the money really spent went to friends who have no idea about construction.

If they actually manage to keep as much of the water as possible in the river, what odds it is without doubt going to go over the top down in downtown Bangkok. 100%.

I think they survived by only a couple of inches last year in the very downtown, and that was with flooding 1000's or sq km up stream. Just imagine how high the walls would have to be if all the water upstream would be in the river instead of left to wash across the countryside. The enormity of the challenge they face is massive, but 4bn USD should have been able to make some improvements.

Engineering 101: if you don't inspect and maintain infrastructure; it will fail. Bridges will ultimately collapse, dams will ultimately breach, flood control structures will ultimately fail. What amazes me is that with all the money spent, they didn't start with the basics: inspect, inventory and map every existing structure; repair and reinforse where needed, then start modeling to determine what improvements will yield the best bang for the baht.

Modeling? With due respect, I think it is pretty too much for them. They have to go through the real meaning of "flood", scientifically and mathematically rather then politically defined it to their political inclination. What cause it to happen? What sequences it propogates? How to exploit the sequences with least efforts and resources so that it becomes harmless. Modeling won't help them if they are not having minimum knowledge about physical correlations the subject of interest.

" We have to accept that Sukhothai local authorities had no experience in handling floods inside municipality areas,"... Plodrasob

....and we all have to accept that Plodrasob has no experience in handling floods period!,"

On the contrary, he has plenty of experience, he either hasn't learned anything from the experience or is just totally inept.

Caught napping suggests they were caught out by something that surprised them as out of the ordinary.

Quite worrying, that they shouldn't have been on the lookout for the 1m surge of water (seeping, imaginative if a little understated)seeping into town whilst they were napping.

Same same in Thai lah.

" We have to accept that Sukhothai local authorities had no experience in handling floods inside municipality areas,"... Plodrasob

....and we all have to accept that Plodrasob has no experience in handling floods period!,"

On the contrary, he has plenty of experience, he either hasn't learned anything from the experience or is just totally inept.

So he will keep his job. Inept is good for graft.

A quote

"He said he was unaware of the failings in the cement barriers that were built in 2001, which allowed the water to flow into the town."

Did not the fact that it was done under Thaksin as was the swampy airport which has had construction problems since day one tip them off that maybe they should have looked at the work done on there own land.

Even if that went over there heads do they not understand the concept of inspection to make sure it is still OK.

That moron has a wall in his headcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The incompetance of this government in dealing with anything is beyond belief. You can read about it but unless your actually here to see it, you just can't understand. Yes, there is incompetent politicians in every government in the world, but this country seems to have found a way to gather them all under one umbrella. w00t.gif

• Like 1

I would gladly act the fool and let everyone call me stupid if at the same time I could have a cushy job and receive lots and lots of tea money. The only real concern is which inactive post I could be transferred to. Oh wait that is a bonus, continue getting paid while doing even less than before.

I wish I was Thai so I could be an inept politician.

PM leaves Bangkok by helicopter to inspect flood conditions in Ayutthaya, Nakhon Sawan, Phitsanulok, Sukhothai /MCOT

I hope this helicopter has night flying capabilities, otherwise Yingluck will have to stay overnight.

Aint it funny -THEY always visit-AFTER the incident--- WHY isn't or hasn't she been flying around for 1 YEAR inspecting with her water clowns ministers.

Enough to make me PEWK. 1 Whole bleeding year later, SAME SAME sorry Thai voters--your fault--do not cry, think if you can in 3 years time, (if you havent been drowned in the meantime).