Location, Location.

monty9

Question to all, that contribute to the Chiang Rai Forum, Did you choose Chiang Rai or did the situation ( partner orientated ) choose you. Just very interested to know, HOW and WHY you have chosen that particular area?.

Oh, yes greetings, I have been reading your posts for the past couple of weeks. Do you take off to the coast from time to time?. What do you miss most?.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 30 years in Bangkok, and ten years of condo life with my wife, we yearned for something different. For the first time in my fifty some years I wanted a home of my own. Land, a big house, pets, toys and all the things that I had as a child but had done without during my bachelor days in Bangkok.

Though my wife had a Green Card, we gave that up when we decided to settle down and make the move to Chiang Rai, and after five years we are still quite happy here. Travel and adventure have been replaced by comfort and a more relaxed pace of life. Nothing is perfect but this is pretty close.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang

Ditto; it's easier to live where the partners family is, they're generally happier around Mum and the sisters.

I have no problem with Chiang Rai most of the year. I live about 20km out of town and usually make a couple of trips a week into the shops.

We have a few months of the year where smoke pollution can get bad, this is a good time to get away and do holiday stuff.

• Like 2

We moved to Phayao area because that was where her parents were. We built a house in the same village and live about 50m from their home. We use to live in Phuket but glad we did move. I think sometimes did we do the right thing. Two seconds later the answer is always yes. We are about 13 km from Phayao and 110 km from Big C in Chiang Rai. Chiang Mai is also close but the road is over mountain is dangerous. That is why we travel to Chaing Rai instead. I do not miss the beach. Never swam in Phuket but did like the views. The locals are great and even with my limited Thai can have a good laugh with them

• Like 1

Thais as a whole are not known to revel in solitude or isolation. They are born into a crowded world of large extended families and living in close proximity with little privacy. So as Scea suggests they are often happier in a familiar place with relationships that extend back in time.

So, other than the happiness of my wife, I was drawn to Chiang Rai for many reasons. Among them are the vast open countryside, mountains, rivers, reservoirs, waterfalls, trails good for hiking or mountain biking and beautiful backcountry roads meandering through dramatic scenery, just perfect for exploring on a motorcycle. Add a camera to the mix for recording your adventures and you become emersed into a world both intimate and boundless, perfect for sharing with others.

Sure it isn’t the big city, but then again that is why some of us like it.smile.png

My wife and I decided to move to her families land after a few attempts to get land near CM fell apart. We are busy upgrading the land and the house. trying to change the pointless (zero profit for months of work) way some things have been done here for generations.

It is a beautiful place, and good for the soul. The neighbors are friendly and I can do what I like when I like. But it is definitely is devoid of other westerners here so even though my wife is surrounded by more friends and family, I mainly have the internet now and a lousy 2G connection for news, entertainment, and socialization. So not perfect, but it works for me. I have always been a bit of a hermit and I can only take visiting in small doses anyhow.

It is 1 and a half hours to Chiang Rai town, and 3 hours to CM for us, so we rarely see Chiang Mai anymore.

• Like 1

Many thanks for sharing situations and thoughts. I plan to settle in Chiang Rai in the future, I have been there as a tourist and always liked the geography and climate. Before comments are made, I have spent the last twenty years in Thailand doing business ( I speak Thai reasonably well, thai people will say very well), as well as exploring. I guess I have spent three of the last twenty years in Thailand.

Chiang Rai, Ko Samed and Krabi remain my favourites.

Five years ago I became a sole parent ( had to stop my thailand wholesale business ) of my two boys, who will be of age soon enough.

So I will move there as a single person, hence the original question, better to meet someone there ( Don seems to have managed that quite well, is that Don, Juan or Giovanni )

What I miss most is the Thai way of giving people time of day with a smile, that is almost disappeared in the more developed countries. ( sad but true )

Edited by monty9

Spent twenty years debating with she who shall be obeyed where to spend the winter years and whether it should be the beach or the hills and finally settled on the latter. My wife was born in Chiang Rai but left home during her school years and grew up near Bangkok. If I'm honest I would probably say that economics was also a deciding factor. All of the beach areas (islands or mainland) had become very expensive places to live in not to mention far too crowded with many of the less desirable neighbours (N.B. spelling reveals where he's from).

We bought our 12 rai here in Wiang Chai 25Km away from the metropolis (555) and finally built our own house in 2002/3 after a few early years of missing the bright lights and assisting the Bangkok Governor in pinching a few bums on some evenings. I have finally settled down to a farmer's life of lawn cutting and heaven forbid, Thai Visa reading. What do I miss? let me count the ways....mmmmmmm errrrrrr ahhhhhhhh Apart from a good cheese selection at reasonable prices, absolutely bugger all.

• Like 2

Many thanks for sharing situations and thoughts. I plan to settle in Chiang Rai in the future, I have been there as a tourist and always liked the geography and climate. Before comments are made, I have spent the last twenty years in Thailand doing business ( I speak Thai reasonably well, thai people will say very well), as well as exploring. I guess I have spent three of the last twenty years in Thailand.

Five years ago I became a sole parent ( had to stop my thailand wholesale business ) of my two boys, who will be of age soon enough.

So I will move there as a single person, hence the original question, better to meet someone there ( Don seems to have managed that quite well, is that Don, Juan or Giovanni )

What I miss most is the Thai way of giving people time of day with a smile, that is almost disappeared in the more developed countries. ( sad but true )

I know it is not the way most people go about it but I have always thought it was better to get your bearings and develop a relationship with Thailand first. After you feel comfortable, know your way around and have your own life here, then is a good time to start looking for a partner or a more permanent setup. That way you don’t become overly dependent on one individual for your interface with Thailand.

You have much of that covered already, with language and time in country. You really shouldn’t have any problems to speak of. Good luck but I doubt you will need it.smile.png

• Like 1

Thanks VF, you are right.

Whilst I have many friends in BKK, a big city is not my thing, a bit of a country boy at heart. A partner whilst desirable,is not really essential.

I think I'm like Canuckamuck, whilst not a hermit, I have not problem with solitude way of life.

Solitude seems to be a common element with many farang in the Chiang Rai region.

• Like 1

Thanks VF, you are right.

Whilst I have many friends in BKK, a big city is not my thing, a bit of a country boy at heart. A partner whilst desirable,is not really essential.

I think I'm like Canuckamuck, whilst not a hermit, I have not problem with solitude way of life.

Solitude seems to be a common element with many farang in the Chiang Rai region.

Geography plays a part as much as personality much of the time. When friends live from 50 to 100 km away, face time is less frequent by necessity. If you are the self-reliant type, however, you can easily find things to keep you interested and active. The ability to speak Thai and the availability of sites like ThaiVisa can make things much easier. If you meet people while doing things you enjoy I am sure you will find people with a similar outlook.

There is no reason not to visit friends in BKK from time to time or invite them up to Chiang Rai for a break from the big city. Chiang Rai is a great place to settle and use as a base to explore more of Thailand and the region.

Rumpole first screened in 1978, whilst I may be wrong can swear I hear the term prior to that.

News flash, old term from she novel published in 1886.??? So there may have been many cases of plagiarism over the century. But I guess VF, you knew that.

Edited by monty9

A fair number of people seem to like reading this topic but where are all the stories? Please share your story so others will have something to read and enjoy.smile.png

I'd like reading this thread too, if it stayed on topic (Location). I personally am not interested in reading poster's chatting that is more appropriate as a pm? Perhaps I am in the minority. wai.gif Edited by OneZero
  • Like 1

A fair number of people seem to like reading this topic but where are all the stories? Please share your story so others will have something to read and enjoy.smile.png

I'd like reading this thread too, if it stayed on topic (Location). I personally am not interested in reading poster's chatting that is more appropriate as a pm? Perhaps I am in the minority. wai.gif

I figure Monty9, the OP, can take this thread anywhere he wants to without asking our permission. I'm not sure who you thought was going off topic.tongue.pngbiggrin.png

So where is your contribution?wink.png

There's been a couple of threads in the past where people have given their reasons for preferring Chiang Rai, it's also a popular topic in most of the other regional forums (Why people prefer where they live).

You can try to use the search box with a few key words perhaps?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You mention plans to settle in Chiang Rai and liking the geography and climate but perhaps you could elaborate a bit more on what draws you to this area of Thailand other than the Thai smile and liking solitude. Sometimes by sharing a little more you can stimulate others to add something.smile.png

I chose Chiang Rai after visiting on the way back from a trip to Mae Sai. I'd been living in Chiang Mai until then but a few days in Chiang Rai soon tempted me away. Quite ironic really as I'd passed through a few years earlier while backpacking around Asia and didn't think much of it at the time.