Location, Location.

monty9

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, just lurking from the US ! ! !

Sorry VF. Hopefully someday soon I will have something substantive to contribute. Lurking from the US as well I'm afraid.

Sometimes just a few words are enough to help ease one into the conversation. It need not be earth shattering or new, just an observation or shared thought from time to time as you have done here and previously in another thread.

Sure there are the nuts and bolts components of the forum but there is also room for the social and connective aspect as well. So I for one, would like to thank chris1dna and zzdocxx for at least saying hello and becoming a part of the conversation, even if only a small part. Over time you guys may feel like sharing more as you get more comfortable here.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang

Good question VF, I seek my own nirvanna (nibbana)

I'm sick of the cut throat society to be honest. I guess I've always been a buddhist, even before I'd heard of Buddha.( or maybe it's the movie "LORD JIM'' that left its impression since childhood)

I have travelled the world, I know how small earth really is. The idea of boundries is beyond me, If your born there u have to die there, is beyond belief. ( I blame air travel speed for that, has not changed for 45 years, well before the first PC, hard to believe )

Chiang Rai appeals for a number of reasons.

Climate I'm one of those farang who likes to walk, not for any other reason, only that I can. Thai people are dismayed that I would rather walk 5 km rather than sit in a taxi in traffic Cooler weather would be nice given my age in ten years on. Would love to meet a local that likes to hike for more than 100 metres.Many rivers,streams to explore.

Location Whilst I have never been on a visa run the prospect worries me. I have had an APEC card previously, so the experience will be new. I like that it would take only a morning. Not sure visa yet, maybe retirement, if still current in a few years

International/regional airport with flights to BKK daily at a good price.Previously a would have preferred krabi, but as we know the beach holds less appeal as we get older. Then again three months by the sea might be nice.

Always been a country boy, prefer outdoors to indoors. Further south maybe be too hot.

Price Point Nirvanna is possible.

The People nothing against city dwellers but I prefer the country swagger,always have.

But you have to love thailand, thats the key.

Sorry hope that helps.

Seeking nirvana is a tricky one. One man’s nirvana could very well be another’s hell. Some westerners who study Buddhism, and come here looking for a spiritual existence, become disillusioned by the way everyday life unfolds before them. That is probably a discussion better left to another time.

While there are indeed outdoorsy, athletic Thais, finding them in the usual places is not common. If walking is really important to you then hold out for someone who has a preexisting interest at least. Forcing someone to like what you like is a hard row to hoe.

A retirement visa is easy if you meet the qualifications. Visa runs can be viewed as an opportunity to travel and explore. No real need to rush through them if you are no longer on a schedule.

Easy access to an airport is definitely a plus as is the occasional change of climate and view. It is always a good idea to get out of town from time to time. It helps to put things in perspective.

Not sure how one relates price point to nirvana but I am no expert on religiosity.

Country swagger is in no short supply but I’m not sure how important loving Thailand is. Thailand can be seen as little more than a vessel which you are required to fill by yourself. Once the novelty wears off it is really up to you to make a life out of what is available.

Chiang Rai is as good a place as any to begin the journey but no telling where it might lead you.smile.png

• Like 1

I'm sick of the cut throat society to be honest. I guess I've always been a buddhist, even before I'd heard of Buddha.( or maybe it's the movie "LORD JIM'' that left its impression since childhood)

I have travelled the world, I know how small earth really is. The idea of boundries is beyond me, If your born there u have to die there, is beyond belief. ( I blame air travel speed for that, has not changed for 45 years, well before the first PC, hard to believe )

Climate I'm one of those farang who likes to walk, not for any other reason, only that I can. Thai people are dismayed that I would rather walk 5 km rather than sit in a taxi in traffic Cooler weather would be nice given my age in ten years on. Would love to meet a local that likes to hike for more than 100 metres.Many rivers,streams to explore.

Location Whilst I have never been on a visa run the prospect worries me. I have had an APEC card previously, so the experience will be new. I like that it would take only a morning. Not sure visa yet, maybe retirement, if still current in a few years

International/regional airport with flights to BKK daily at a good price.Previously a would have preferred krabi, but as we know the beach holds less appeal as we get older. Then again three months by the sea might be nice.

Always been a country boy, prefer outdoors to indoors. Further south maybe be too hot.

The People nothing against city dwellers but I prefer the country swagger,always have.

Sorry hope that helps.

Nirvana, nirvanna, or nibbana - make of it what you will...!? I still love Thailand.

I live a few km south of you in Phayao. My 'location, location' reason was due to my wife having to teach at Phayao University after finishing her PhD in the UK (where we met several years ago). I should be in Bangkok, but my boss has been very good to me (which is a whole new story).

We are both young(ish) (I am 35 and the oldest by a while), so our 'wants' are probably somewhat different to most on here?! We also have a 3 month old daughter, who has changed everything in our life immensely!! This answer may have been VERY different last year!?

So...

While I very much enjoy myself in Phayao, it would be better if I understood a LOT more Northern Thai. My Thai isn't bad, but when you are having to live here it would be highly beneficial to know the local dialect (which, by the way, changes between Chiang Rai/Mai, Nan, Phayao and Phrae)...!

Phayao might not be on the 'cutting edge' for Farang-based 'necessities'; but you can get by without too much hardship!? The plus points for me are:

a) It's still cheap (land, house, food, whatever....) - more so than Chiang Rai/Mai.

B) The people are nice as can be!

c) You can easily avoid 'farang' food - we have a pizza place and a KFC. More than enough for me...

d) Kao-Soi is available at several restaurants...! :o)

That's my tuppence worth anyway (perhaps giving away where I was originally from).

Ciao for now... M

• Like 1

mistephenso

Glad to hear things are still working out for you two (now three) in Phayao. No doubt things have changed dramatically with the arrival of your daughter. Chances are things will change again, once your wife has fulfilled her obligations to the university.

Thanks for sharing and continued good luck adapting to your ever evolving life in Thailand.smile.png

Me and my Pakpoom will be moving from the UK to thoeng in a few months, main reason is his family have some land there that I can build a house on but never been. Just saw some very nice pictures though and reading through some of the threads I think it will be super. The handsome chap villagefarang on top of me (oooh cheeky) has already made me feel welcome, can't wait to meet some of you guys, and girls of course LOL

• Like 1

Sorry hope that helps.

Nirvana, nirvanna, or nibbana - make of it what you will...!? I still love Thailand.

I live a few km south of you in Phayao. My 'location, location' reason was due to my wife having to teach at Phayao University after finishing her PhD in the UK (where we met several years ago). I should be in Bangkok, but my boss has been very good to me (which is a whole new story).

We are both young(ish) (I am 35 and the oldest by a while), so our 'wants' are probably somewhat different to most on here?! We also have a 3 month old daughter, who has changed everything in our life immensely!! This answer may have been VERY different last year!?

So...

While I very much enjoy myself in Phayao, it would be better if I understood a LOT more Northern Thai. My Thai isn't bad, but when you are having to live here it would be highly beneficial to know the local dialect (which, by the way, changes between Chiang Rai/Mai, Nan, Phayao and Phrae)...!

Phayao might not be on the 'cutting edge' for Farang-based 'necessities'; but you can get by without too much hardship!? The plus points for me are:

a) It's still cheap (land, house, food, whatever....) - more so than Chiang Rai/Mai.

cool.png The people are nice as can be!

c) You can easily avoid 'farang' food - we have a pizza place and a KFC. More than enough for me...

d) Kao-Soi is available at several restaurants...! ohmy.png)

That's my tuppence worth anyway (perhaps giving away where I was originally from).

Ciao for now... M

Good to see another poster in the Phayao area. Our new boy is almost 2 months old. They certainly do change you life for the better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, best place for Coffee as a take away or beans.

best place for cheese. (variety of cheeses please ).

best place to swim laps ( and cost ).

best Gym.

best place for massage.

best place for a quiet beer.

best place for a loud beer.

best washing ( laundry ) service.

best place to buy fresh produce ( no outer town locations that would be difficult to locate )

best place for a haircut.

and so on, I realise some other threads may cover this, To have on one thread would be convenient .

I buy coffee beans at Doi Chaang Coffee but there are many other options depending on taste and cost.

Gym, swimming and sauna can be had at one convenient location at Pimann Inn. Not sure what the daily rate is right now but they also sell packages which reduce the cost per visit. I found the cost reasonable.

The wife and I have enjoyed some very good massages at Arisara Thai Massage.

The main market by the old clock tower is an excellent location for almost any kind of local style shopping. As for cheese, bread or other western items I would go to Tops at Central Plaza first to see what they have before then try searching for other items in smaller, harder to locate delis and farang run shops.

Sorry we don’t drink, have our own washing machine and I don’t have any hair so can’t help you with those questions.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like very much the humour and vibes on this forum. For years now, I have been planning to retire to Chiang Mai but I think I could be happy in the Rai. Everytime VF waxes lyrical about starry skies, endless roads to nowhere and quaint village happenings... I am already there.

Drawback is: my partner is not Thai and is not as enamoured of village life (amd Thailand) as I. Being closer to CM, she could probably find more German-speaking friends and a better range of cheese! Maybe this dilemma is what is holding me back from committing to the big move sad.png

Whatever happens, I am grateful to forum members for their generosity in sharing.

• Like 1

I like very much the humour and vibes on this forum. For years now, I have been planning to retire to Chiang Mai but I think I could be happy in the Rai. Everytime VF waxes lyrical about starry skies, endless roads to nowhere and quaint village happenings... I am already there.

Drawback is: my partner is not Thai and is not as enamoured of village life (amd Thailand) as I. Being closer to CM, she could probably find more German-speaking friends and a better range of cheese! Maybe this dilemma is what is holding me back from committing to the big move sad.png

Whatever happens, I am grateful to forum members for their generosity in sharing.

Excellent post, thank you for sharing. Your concern for your partner’s needs is also admirable. Whether you choose Mai or Rai you can alway visit the other from time to time. It is a pretty drive and not that far. Hope we hear more from you.

Another question, motor vehicle ownership and registration for farang operating on visa entry? Is it possible.

You might try asking this question in the Thailand Motor Forum section of ThaiVisa. Another option would be to visit the vehicle registration office in your area or in Chiang Rai town to get information direct from the horses mouth, as it were. I always put my vehicles in my wife's name so can't answer your question from personal experience.

I have my car in my name and originally bought and registered it on a tourist visa.

I think Chiang Rai will suit most people looking for somewhere quiet to settle, There's a couple of sources of good cheese and other Western style foods, I use the Swiss Deli personally where I'm sure the owner would be able to introduce you to a few of his German customers.

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 2

I'm 170kms, usually take about 2 1/2 hours but that includes a coffee stop.

Remember that once you are in Chiang Mai driving around the city would take twice as long as it would for the same distance here.

I am 235kms to the outer ring roads and my time does not include coffee, only diesel and a pitstop. wink.png

A fair number of people seem to like reading this topic but where are all the stories? Please share your story so others will have something to read and enjoy.smile.png

i'm reading your stories and i envy you people living up north in obviously beautiful natural surroundings and a bearable climate where a one Rai plot is considered "mini".

but what story do you expect from someone who lives a rather secluded life even though his home is located only 3km (as the crow flies) from Pattaya's Walking Street ermm.gif

• Like 1

A fair number of people seem to like reading this topic but where are all the stories? Please share your story so others will have something to read and enjoy.smile.png

i'm reading your stories and i envy you people living up north in obviously beautiful natural surroundings and a bearable climate where a one Rai plot is considered "mini".

but what story do you expect from someone who lives a rather secluded life even though his home is located only 3km (as the crow flies) from Pattaya's Walking Street ermm.gif

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment Naam. It is nice to see we sometime reach a broader audience.

I built my first house in Chiangrai 29 years ago and my last one about 10 years ago. My wife and I travel constantly all over Thailand. We have also purchased a house on Koh Chang and Chiangrai will always be our No1 Location, Koh Chang is a close second. As the Thread says Location Location, we bought on the East Coast of Koh Chang which is 99% local people where as West Coast is mega tourist location which we stay away. Just bought a 5 mtr Thai Fishing boat and after a refit we will hit the water as getting sick of fishing off jetties.

Coming back to Chiangrai at the end of Nov for a week or so and back to Aussie for 10 days Xmas shopping.

• Like 2

I built my first house in Chiangrai 29 years ago and my last one about 10 years ago. My wife and I travel constantly all over Thailand. We have also purchased a house on Koh Chang and Chiangrai will always be our No1 Location, Koh Chang is a close second. As the Thread says Location Location, we bought on the East Coast of Koh Chang which is 99% local people where as West Coast is mega tourist location which we stay away. Just bought a 5 mtr Thai Fishing boat and after a refit we will hit the water as getting sick of fishing off jetties.

Coming back to Chiangrai at the end of Nov for a week or so and back to Aussie for 10 days Xmas shopping.

Sounds like a great life. Thanks for sharing.smile.png