Location, Location.

monty9

to BIG GARY:

sounds lovely. i must get your advice about this. i do love the sea. i am not into suntans or crowded tourist strips either. i can sit for hours under a coconut tree, with the sound of waves in the background.

i have friends who retired to Bali. everything perfect until one of them fell off his horse (yes riding on the beach) the bone was sticking out of his thigh *ouch*. we had to airlift him to singapore. that hard reality made a lot of us realise how important it was to be near/er medical facilities.

so i too would love to have a second getaway place by the sea.... but i think Chiang Rai or CM would be where i plant the main flag.

to SCEA:

thanks for the advice about the Swiss deli and german-speakers. very helpful smile.png

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to BIG GARY:

sounds lovely. i must get your advice about this. i do love the sea. i am not into suntans or crowded tourist strips either. i can sit for hours under a coconut tree, with the sound of waves in the background.

i have friends who retired to Bali. everything perfect until one of them fell off his horse (yes riding on the beach) the bone was sticking out of his thigh *ouch*. we had to airlift him to singapore. that hard reality made a lot of us realise how important it was to be near/er medical facilities.

so i too would love to have a second getaway place by the sea.... but i think Chiang Rai or CM would be where i plant the main flag.

to SCEA:

thanks for the advice about the Swiss deli and german-speakers. very helpful smile.png

Firstly I agree that Chiangrai is the place that is still No1 place to live but to have a "Getaway Place" is great. As I said we travel a lot and looked at many places North and South and Koh Chang was/is the place. I have a favourite little local drinking spot and my chair is under a beautiful palm tree on the sand looking out to the sea. Beautiful sea breeze last night.

As for medical, our house is about 1.5 klm from the KC Hospital and went once to get a cut foot fixed and when they realized we were the "new locals" I was charged 30 baht for treatment.

• Like 1

Your right Krobert6 we have been spoiled by our OZ beaches, anyway as you approach a certain age the beach has less appeal. Six foot swell becomes too big, where as in your youth would be considered average at best. Being dumped has less appeal.

Has anyone canoed or rafted from the border into Chiang Rai or Chiang Rai downstream.

I can remember about 15 or so years ago some guys would go to Tha Ton with inner tubes and Kyaks and go downstream and meet their wives or girl friends at the jetty at Rimkok Resort. Great fun when the water is up but not so good when its down.

• Like 1

BG that sounds like a TV challenge.

Last time I went down the Mekok in a boat(about 10+ years ago)we got stuck on a sandbar. There were 4 boats doing the trip to and from the Elephant Village/Hot Springs and it was our boat that got stuck. I dont know if you have seen me but I am a very big guy(145kg). Back to the story and the other boats circled around us and all my mates were yelling " Get out you big Buggar and it will lift off the sandbar" I did that and sure enough it lifted and moved off the sandbar. There are still some of the guys still kicking that did that trip and are living in Chiangrai and would remember this and still have a laugh.