Life In Songkhla

Chris B

Hi All,

Whats life like in Songkhla? Looks like i'm transfering with my work to Songkhla. I'll be out there next week for two weeks to check it out.

Is Songkhla Safe? is there plenty to do? also is it easy to find apartments etc..?

Any tips for staying there? cost of living i assume is cheaper than the main area's..

Hi Chris B! I've lived in Songkhla Town for over 10 years now, can truthfully say I've never felt threatened in any way. There have been bombs in nearby Hat Yai, but realistically what are the chances of being next to one? very small. It may well be different in the South of the province, but in the town - no problem. Whats life like? - its a great little town, quiet, but you can create a lively lifestyle if you want. Give it a go, I dont regret it

• Like 2

It will be Songkhla Town, I don't mind the quiet life as long as there some things to do ie sports and a nice beach.. I can always head into Hat yai for something if Songkhla doesn't have it..

Just want to know its safe enough, As will be there for a while and want to know my family will be safe..

I quite liked songhkla, hence my username, holidayed twice a year for 3-4 years,great seafood restaurants samila beach,get yourself a mountain-touring bicycle, good cycleways around beaches,it's quiet, How's eric @ the office bar, still open? & then there's cosmos bar, anything goes there, especially when a few cashed up rig workers call in for some female company,

regards songhklasidclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I often jump in the car and head off down there for a few days off island. A nice little town with plenty to do and see within a short drive. I have never once felt at all threatened there. A small expat community of offshore workers makes it good for a night out if you so wish. I wouldn't hesitate for a second if work took me there. biggrin.png

Thanks for the advice all.

Arrive in Hat Yai on Wednesday so will hopefully have plenty of time to try get round Songkhla town to see if it's somewhere i could stay.

There would have to be a major problem before i'd turn the job down to be honest.

Its been a while since I've been there but this is what I remember.......

Songhkla......decent enough beach and promenade at Hat Samila with local seafood restaurants.....golf course next to the BP Samila hotel.

There are a few farang bars situated in the area near the Indonesian Embassy.

For the kids there is the Songhkla Aquarium and,also,Songhkla Zoo just out of town.

Songhkla was a very nice place to stay.....very relaxing......I dont think you would have any problems there.

The nearest big city is Hat Yai,some 30 kilometres away,which is Thailands 3rd largest city.Airconditioned shopping malls,nightmarkets where you can pick up some great bargains,excellent food and a very raunchy nightlife........walking around you are likely to be offered a "massage" every few minutes......decent pub/bar scene with live music.

For the kids to eat there are places like MacDonalds,KFC and Pizza Hut.........I think Central Shopping Mall might have a cinema and bowling but I'm not 100% sure on that one ?

About 5 kilometres outside Hat Yai is the huge Hat Yai Municipal Park with gardens,a lake where you can hire pedalos and also,now,a cable car that can whisk you to the top of the hill where there are some great views of the city.

There are 3 large temples in the park,of which the highest two you can use the cable car otherwise its a long trek uphill !

Hat Yai gets very busy at weekend with Malaysian and Singaporean tourists.Its then that there is a small chance of a problem.....a bomb went off in the car park of the Lee Gardens Hotel in April.

It is only a small chance of a problem but it is there.......I wouldnt let it put me off,though.

If some of my info.is a little dated,maybe a local could update,thanks.

• 2 months later...

Safe.

But stay away from that mall with McD and KFC as well as Odean. They are serious targets. I met a guy who was in an Odean blast and we have a friend living in Songkla only missed that big bombing at the larger mall recently - by minutes. Bombing those nalls is a regular occurance.

Edited by bangkokburning

Been trying to get my company to transfer me to Songkhla Town (from BKK) for almost 2 years now. Great beaches, little traffic and if you stay away from obviously hinky areas, it seems pretty safe.

Street food is awesome, weekend walking street reminds me of the USA in the '60s, and Da Zorro has some of the best pizza I've had in Thailand- look them up.

I can't speak for raising a family there, but oilfield expats and their companies are know for building great communities for their families in most places they get stuck.

Edited by impulse