Gave Up Smoking - But Really Miss It.

mommysboy

I gave up 5 years ago. My sinus was giving me hell, and I was getting bronchial problems that were really unpleasant. This didn't abate after giving up as it was mainly due to the pollution ( but luckily is now resolved thanks to nasal rinsing).

Nevertheless, my general health has improved. I put on much needed muscle and feel fitter and stronger. Unfortunately to compensate, I began to drink more, with inevitable consequences, but again thankfully, I have quit the booze too.

Thinking about it, it is smoking that I really miss, in fact I'd go as far as to say life is so much less worth living without it. I guess that is easy to say when you feel well.

So I was wondering if anyone has ever managed moderation, say 3-4 cigs a day.

I'll also canvas opinion on the electronic cigarette forum, but also wondered if anyone had quit and then gone on to e cigs without going back to real ones.

I have given up many times in the past, the longest for 13 months, starting again because of the reasons you give. Nothing to do with stress, problems etc, just plain old missed smoking. Problem is when you start back having a couple it's not long before your up to 20 a day again.

You have done really well stopping for as long as you have and even though i am a committed smoker I would suggest you really should keep at it,

fags are for fags, light one up and in no time the nasty nicotine addiction will get you back to smoking two packs a day and I'm sure it won't be long before you drink a cold beer to enjoy the smoke even better :whistling:

Try to remember why you quit in the first place.. did you really enjoy smoking or was it nicotine addiction ?

Sounds to me like you’re feeling stronger now after so long without the filth (that already says it all!) and have forgotten (physically and emotionally – not intellectually) the vicious destructive effects of the vile poisondisease. So you expect something good from it. You haven’t understood that like yoslim/jingjoe8/pomchop say, scratching the itch will only open the wound again and “need” more scratching.

Focus on the advantages of giving up. Believe me the “advantages” of smoking are literally all in your mind – there are none. It’s poisonous, filthy, stinks and controls your life – turns you into a slave, literally a fag, a sucker.

Alan Carr I say. The Only Way To Stop Smoking Permanently (or some such like).

BusyB – deliriously happy non-smoker since 1997 (after 30 years at an average 30 – 40 a day, Embassy, Golden Virginia, Disque Bleu, Camel untipped and Marlboro self-rolled).

Believe me mommysboy – there’s no such thing as ONE ciggie!

• Like 1

I've been off them for 4 plus months my second longest quit, had 2 minor relapses when drinking but I have decided not to drink anymore for this reason. I tried the 2-3, 4 or 5, just a 1/2 pack in the past when I had less than successful quits and I can tell you it does not work one bit, before you know it you are back to your usual amount to keep your nicotine addiction fed. So, yeah. just don't do it!

I gave up 5 years ago. My sinus was giving me hell, and I was getting bronchial problems that were really unpleasant. This didn't abate after giving up as it was mainly due to the pollution ( but luckily is now resolved thanks to nasal rinsing).

Nevertheless, my general health has improved. I put on much needed muscle and feel fitter and stronger. Unfortunately to compensate, I began to drink more, with inevitable consequences, but again thankfully, I have quit the booze too.

Thinking about it, it is smoking that I really miss, in fact I'd go as far as to say life is so much less worth living without it. I guess that is easy to say when you feel well.

So I was wondering if anyone has ever managed moderation, say 3-4 cigs a day.

I'll also canvas opinion on the electronic cigarette forum, but also wondered if anyone had quit and then gone on to e cigs without going back to real ones.

Don't do it man .....ur doin great it gets easier BELEIVE me

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Don't do it mommysboy. I'm only 9 weeks and 3 days clean but if i hear of people who go back after 5 years of quitting, it just makes me doubt whether it's all worth it if I'm going to end up doing that. You've done that long now, be strong.

Would like to echo this mommysboy. I am going into my sixth week and know what you are asking as I am kidding myself at this moment that I could take one or two a day I know I couldn't so do you so does mrbojangles. In my case I would be sentencing myself to an early death as I have been diagnosed with COPD a progressive lung disease which affects one in five smokers -the progress slows immediately you stop smoking and here I am even considering prolonging the awful addiction.

I am glad I read your post and hope you remain strong. I only knew how badly this was affecting me on my yearly visit to Thailand last year (long haul flight and change of climate) so determinedly had I tried to ignore the danger. Thank you for your post and all replies, this forum has helped when I gave up drinking three years ago and has strengthened my resolve tonight

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. There's no danger of me slipping back other than by conscious decision. I actually found quitting much easier than I could ever have thought, and experienced only slight pangs, but these have continued throughout.

Part of the problem is that I'd attributed all my symptoms to smoking, but in fact it appears that the pollution in Bangkok is the major player. But generally, bodily, I feel much stronger without the cigs, and certainly my endurance down the gym doubled on the running machine.

Since giving up drinking, I feel rather at a loss.

My problem with these things is a problem of moderation- and like many posters I feel that smoking is one of those things that can not be done on an on off basis, and I wonder is there anyone who can just stick to 3 or 4 a day?

Thanks for all the responses. There's no danger of me slipping back other than by conscious decision. I actually found quitting much easier than I could ever have thought, and experienced only slight pangs, but these have continued throughout.

Part of the problem is that I'd attributed all my symptoms to smoking, but in fact it appears that the pollution in Bangkok is the major player. But generally, bodily, I feel much stronger without the cigs, and certainly my endurance down the gym doubled on the running machine.

Since giving up drinking, I feel rather at a loss.

My problem with these things is a problem of moderation- and like many posters I feel that smoking is one of those things that can not be done on an on off basis, and I wonder is there anyone who can just stick to 3 or 4 a day?

It sounds like you have kicked your smoking addiction but not your drinking addiction,you can't substitute a few smokes for the drinks that you want,deal with the drink addiction,no such thing as a casual smoker its a bad addictive drug.ONly people i have known to smoke a few a day had really bad breathing probs and couldn't handle any more poison in there body.

• 6 months later...

I seem to remember that around 6 years from packing in the harmful effects of smoking have disappear unless of course grave damage has already been inflicted. So does that mean I effectively have a blank sheet? as I would like to start again.

I really am doing myself more harm than good by giving up, it's led to all sorts of imbalances in my life.

I figure of course it is damaging smoking but I am 52 now and really have to live a life not the negation of it. And I am denying myself one of the truly great pleasures I had.

Part of the problem is that I never really got the benefit I'd hoped for and am still in pain with the old nose. Living in Bangkok doesn't help.

I seem to remember that around 6 years from packing in the harmful effects of smoking have disappear unless of course grave damage has already been inflicted. So does that mean I effectively have a blank sheet? as I would like to start again.

I really am doing myself more harm than good by giving up, it's led to all sorts of imbalances in my life.

I figure of course it is damaging smoking but I am 52 now and really have to live a life not the negation of it. And I am denying myself one of the truly great pleasures I had.

Part of the problem is that I never really got the benefit I'd hoped for and am still in pain with the old nose. Living in Bangkok doesn't help.

Are you trolling or serious? Every poster on here has given you good advise on how harmful the drug is and how easy it is to go back to the old habit. Instead of listening to them, you keep harping on how life is so boring and meaningless without smoking and alcohol? This will discourage a lot of others who are just quitting this disgusting addiction and who read this forum for encouragement and support. You have successfully kicked the addiction and been clean for 5yrs, you are a winner. Dont even let these kind of thoughts enter your head.

• Like 1

I really like smoking....

I gave up two years ago but didn't quit - OK, that doesn't make sense... I didn't really give up. But, I cut way down.

Now I go weeks without a cigarette, sometimes months. But, if I want one, I'll have one... no hard and fast rules - I just don't let it get out of hand.

I did find myself having 6 on one night out, so I totally cut them out for 2 months.... But, when I want to, I will enjoy a cigarette when out drinking, just not more than 3 a night. I won't smoke in the day time at all.

So... the question the Op asked: has anyone ever managed moderation, say 3-4 cigs a day ?... yes, its easy enough. If you can quit, you can also use moderation if thats what you wish (for me, its more like 4-5 per week), but then, I haven't had one in a week already cos I haven't been out !

Of course - As everyone has already said, the are poison and there is no sensible justification for smoking apart from 'we want to' - so if you have quit it is better to stay 'fully quit'... for me, I'm happy having the odd cheeky one !

Edited by richard_smith237

Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did. Some years ago I was diagnosed with bladder cancer and was advised that it was almost certainly a result of my tobacco habit. Some years later, after I'd quit as a result of that, I was diagnosed with COPD, a condition which is incurable but, fortunately, treatable. Now I find myself avoiding the smokers, or if this is not possible, trying to arrange to be up-wind of them.

My biggest problem is that smokers effluent really offends me, but I have nothing with which to retaliate - other than removing myself from their company.

I don't know how to relate to those that were formerly my friends but who either don't know, or don't care, about the damage they cause to themselves, or, more importantly, those around them.

Damn the tobacco companies - damn their products - damn their profiteering.

Edited by richardjm65

After 20+ years of smoking, I was finally able to quit my 2 pack/day habit 3 years ago. Wasn't easy as I'd been trying to quit for 10 years. (Last week when having a few drinks I tried a few cigs. They tasted totally disgusting. Horrible stuff. Can't stand the smell of them either. Actually left the night club because of the smoke.) I do miss relaxing with a smoke, but now enjoy the ability to breath, and feel so much better in many ways. So happy I'm no longer addicted to that crap.

As for 3 or 4 cigs a day, have never understood why someone would do this. If you're a nic addict, you will likely be back to your old habits. If not an addict, why smoke at all? Those things are nasty.

To the op, based on what you say, don't do it, you will get hooked again for sure.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You should try reading Allen Cars book the easy way to stop smoking it helps with the desire to smoke by destroying the brain washing that says it is good and you want to

thumbsup.gif

5 years since I had a smoke after reading this book.

NEVER again!

Would be nice if someone could answer the last question I posed rather than guving me this anti smoking rhetoric. At what point can one return to the state of a non smoker and does that mean I would start from a clean slate so to speak?

I have tried googling but same propaganda.

As previously stated since giving up it has really done me more harm than good. I suffer quite a few sinus and nasal issues and live in Bkk so probably have not seen the full health benefits you other guys are happy with.

Just figue I am 52 now, possibly got 65 or so in me and want to do the things I like.

Wont be smoking inside or in a non smokers face.

You might try googling 'quitting smoking timeline' - there's plenty of info there on recovery time. From your last post #22 though, you come across as actually wanting to go back to doing something that you enjoy. So do that! Go back to it if that's what you really want. It's entirely your own decision, it's your body, do with it whatever you wish. Seems to me that the 'clean slate' you're interested in would be between 10 - 15 years to recover your non-smoker status. That seems to be the norm to reduce your health risks to those of a non-smoker.

Smoke if you wish - no-one on TV will really mind that much - nobody is going to spank your botty.

I do know guys who have managed to reduce their tobacco usage by using e-cigs, but don't know anyone exclusively on e-cigs.

• Like 1

Re: "no-one on TV will really mind that much - nobody is going to spank your botty"

Thank goodness for that is all I can say to that!!!.

Thanks for the info very helpful.

Can't help noting my sinus relief is 3 years 9 months overdue. And figure that by the time my risk of lung cancer has fallen to zero I could easily be dead of old age anyway.

These e-cigs sound a bit of a wheeze, might be a half way house.

Never did smoke more than 10 or so a day and frequently 1 or 2, similar to your goodself in the end.

mommysboy,

My Dad was about your age when he decided to have the odd cigarette after having quit for 15 or so years. Initially it was just he and I having a smoke when we'd go for a drive. Before long (2-3 months) he was sucking down a pack or more a day. Note that he wasn't smoking at home and was trying to hide it, so that means he was smoking like a chimney when he'd sneak away.

Finally he saw the writing on the wall after a couple years and gave it up again, never to have "just one" again. He said he still misses it, but he began exercising more frequently and intensely. He says that while smoking he could never have kept up his current pace. He's 62 now and the doctors give him positive feedback, aside from being a bit overweight.

I've been smoking for 16 years, too. I set my quit date for May 1 of this year. I've quit several times in the past only to be doomed by the temptation of "just one." I really do LOVE smoking, but I hate getting sinus infections and bronchitis every year. The biggest help, I've found, when I've successfully quit smoking is to give myself a fitness related goal. Start taking a class (perhaps Muay Thai?) and be ambitious. Give it hell! If you started smoking (or are smoking and intend to quit) your stamina will be dramatically hampered. Not to mention, being around a group of people who are fitness-minded will help in your resolve to remain/become an ex-smoker.

Godspeed, brother!

I smoked modestly 3-4 cigs a day for nearly 40 years - numerous attempts to give it up but always slunk back, This time I've been off 'em for around 6 months -this time it's just that some switch in my brain just seemed to finally go off and stay off - the desire has gone. My brother still smokes and I tried a drag for all times sake last week which had me coughing and spluttering and after he has had his gasper in the garden he stinks. They really are the most pointless drug going and one that takes ages to like and when we finally do like them then this is the grand deception which can take a lifetime to shake off. If your life really is boring and meaningless then the problem is your attitude I would respectfully suggest and having a few fags here or there is not going to change that. By giving up and staying off them you are showing willpower,resolve and a better attitude towards yourself so wherever you may be in your life it's about getting to a better place. It's good that you've come on here to share and hopefully all the positive vibes back can make you feel better about the process and yourself.

Good luck fella - just keep looking at all the gruesome Thai fag packets - they're a real horrorshow,

funny-office-sign-please-dont-smoke+%281

• 3 weeks later...

In the end I decided not to smoke cigarettes as they are just plain rough and I don't fancy the idea of lung cancer.

I will use an ecigarette, tried one already very impressed.

I do miss nicotine a lot and as physically I am older than my age I figure I have maybe 10 years or so left in me. What's the point of denying myself a pleasure? I'll still use with caution as I understand they are an unknown, although they probably are very much safer.

I would never advise any youngster to smoke or indeed anyone who felt they had 30 years or so of living to do.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thinking about it, it is smoking that I really miss, in fact I'd go as far as to say life is so much less worth living without it.

That sh!t will kill you. Simple. Imagine lying on a hospital bed about to have your nuts removed because of cancer from smoking or your tongue and throat cut out because of smoking cancer.

You won't have a life to live if you smoke. You beat it, now don't go back. It wants to kill you. Awful stinking filthy habit.

• Like 1

Read Alan Carr's 'The Easy Way To Stop Smoking' - twice if necessary. No tricks. You won't remember when you decided to STOP smoking. To 'give up' suggests you are depriving yourself of something. You aren't.

• Like 1