Phuket Taxis Agree To Standard Fares

webfact

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daily minimum salary for thai worker is 300B (for Myanmar workers less). Why don't we start using daily salary for comparition of work done versus salary gained?

So how many days does en average worker need to work to be able to travel from Karon to the Airport? Is this fair for the one hour of work of an taxi driver? Are there other forces which are collecting the money from the taxi driver? Who are the people who are collecting over these charges?

I get it now. They have just made the ripoff legal and official across the board by the local authorities. Now that is amazing and actually quite smart. I wonder if that is Farang price or do locals have to pay the same fee?

It's a Farang price! On the west coast, no thai will ever drive with a Tuk Tuk, if not a Farang pays for it!

If you take a tuk Tuk from Nai Mueang (Robinson area) to Ha Yek (Villa market area) you can get it for 200 baht.For sure, if you have a Thai with you!

That is ~ the distance from Patong to Kata, but 40% of the price, only!

Edited by noob7

Got to be the highest priced taxi's in the world.

Thank god I do not have to have anything to do with these scum.

I just pity the poor tourist's having to put up with this total and utter crap.

Now highway robbery has been legitamized in Phuket.

LOL, what countries have you been in? A 25km ride in Norway would cost you probably 8,000 baht. There was a story about a family of 6 people, taking a metered taxi to downtown Oslo in the worst possible time (red-letter-day and nighttime), which set them back about 30,000 Baht.. Talk about expensive..

Well I have been around the world twice so quite a few countries.

As already said it's all relative to the wages paid here.There are an estimated million people living here now so it's not all about cashed up tourists throwing money about.What about the poor locals who can not afford a bike .What do they do? Save a months wages to go into Phuket town by taxi.

A totally disgusting show of greed in my eyes.

There is no Thai (family), that can't afford

Phuket doesnt need more Taxis or new prices for the old ones... WE NEED A PROPER PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM ... Busses wich drive every 5-10 minutes the beach roads from Rawai to Kata-Karon-Patong-Kamals etc .... Taxes for new private cars, specially the luxury ones should be much much more expensive .- The ppl who can afford do drive a PORSCHE Cayenne or Mercedes or BMW or Fortuners should be taxed 1000 Percent higher... Phuket is rediculous when it comes to traffic, its like Bkk already...and everybody is racing...WHY?? we are a HOLIDAY destination thought...

I don't understand the pick up with hard roof in your list! What has a Fortuner in common, with the import cars?

Transportation system, I'm with you, But one, that doesn't stop at 7pm! 'cause that will be the next step:

I really can't see why so many people are moaning about the taxi fares. The fares seem fare enough and let's not forget the taxi drivers are a bunch a guys just trying to make a honest living.

Don't like the fares then keep walking and stop moaning

cheesy.gif

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

If 800baht is such a problem, then you can't afford to go to phukete. To leave the airport grounds in Perth,Australia,after midnight costs over 1000baht. Thailand is still dirt cheap,unless you are a cheap Charlie. Stop and smell the roses.

I bet you pay the first price asked when shopping too, it's people like you that have ruined this country!

• Like 1

If 800baht is such a problem, then you can't afford to go to phukete. To leave the airport grounds in Perth,Australia,after midnight costs over 1000baht. Thailand is still dirt cheap,unless you are a cheap Charlie. Stop and smell the roses.

Depends on your point of view, ie are you a once year tourist or travelling here on a regular basis and know the true cost of living here in Phuket. Annoys me to hear people saying the cost of a taxi in London, Perth, wherever is much more. Yes it is cos the cost of living there is much more. Look at the prices in other parts of Thailand, that's the true comparison.

I lived in phang nga for18 months , went to phukete every week or so, been living pattaya for 7 years.aveagoodweekend.

Tough luck mate! What happened? You in prison?

From Patong to the airport 800 Bt, from the airport to Patong 650 Bt??huh.png Am I missing something?

Not much difference.

Airport to Pattaya 1,500

Pattaya to Airport - start at 800 baht.

How about standard fairs LIKE IN THE REST OF THAILAND, which is by meter?!?!

And what makes Phuket so different that it justifies those horrendous fairs in the first place?

We don't have metered fares in Pattaya. They are all negotiated.

Gee you're getting ripped, Mr T charges 1000 baht from the airport to Pattaya, Anyway it's no where near the same distance, Phuket airport to Patong is half the distance.

With all the talk about Taxi's and Tuk Tuk robbery in Phuket I don't see why some Farang hasn't seen it as a business opportunity most countries have shuttle busses the fraction of the cost of a Taxi to and from the airport, instead of bitching about it why doesn't wait there is one http://www.airportbusphuket.com/ only 85 baht! So stop the bitching. You don't want to wait for the bus then pay the 650 baht for a taxi it's an hour long ride honestly I don't see how it's a rip off?

Firstly, it isn't about going to the airport, it's about going from point to chosen point. Secondly, that bus you are talking about goes from Phuket Town. How do you get there to take the bus in the first place?

When Phuket is the only place in the whole of Thailand that does not have an affordable public transport system, something is wrong. And when I say public transport, I mean something that is affordable to Thais.

Do you even live in Phuket?

No you're wrong there are a few companies that offer MINI BUS services to and from Airport, and they pick you up from your condo or hotel anywhere within reasonable distance in Patong. They take you for around 150 baht from memory per person each way.

Clarification - click on the Phuket Gazette link to access the taxi fare tables ....

http://www.phuketgaz...ares-17916.html

Would you find it reasonable for a taxi to charge 500 baht each way from say Patong - Airport and back?

As I have a friend who is a Thai national,and he's also half English, (so he's fluent in both languages) Anyway he used to be a stretch Limo driver in Pattaya, and worked doing routes from Pattaya to Airport and back, it went ok for a while, but not many people are that interested in taking a stretch limo back and forth so the market was not really there.

Anyway he is now living in Phuket (his home town actually) so he was thinking about starting his own little taxi business from all these main cities to Airport and back charging reasonable prices, and with an online reservations form, where anyone that was abroad could make a reservation and include their arrival times, where about in Phuket they are going, hotel, condo etc, etc, you get my drift.

What does everyone think about a service like that?

• Like 1

Firstly, it isn't about going to the airport, it's about going from point to chosen point. Secondly, that bus you are talking about goes from Phuket Town. How do you get there to take the bus in the first place?

When Phuket is the only place in the whole of Thailand that does not have an affordable public transport system, something is wrong. And when I say public transport, I mean something that is affordable to Thais.

Do you even live in Phuket?

No you're wrong there are a few companies that offer MINI BUS services to and from Airport, and they pick you up from your condo or hotel anywhere within reasonable distance in Patong. They take you for around 150 baht from memory per person each way.

You are both correct. KarenBravo was talking about a PUBLIC transport system. Yes, there are mini buses to the airport. I used them to go back to the airport because I had plenty of time to spare. On the way in from the airport I used a metered taxi which cost 350bt. Very happy with both services.

sorry, completely messed up the quotes sad.png

Edited by DoctorG

Other countries in the world license taxis and then the taxis have to abide by the rules. If a taxi driver doesn't then he looses his license. Why can't Thailand implement and police laws? Because society is so corrupt? The taxi mafia make up the rules and then agree them with the local government? Only in Thailand!

thailand can, phuket can't

From Patong to the airport 800 Bt, from the airport to Patong 650 Bt??huh.png Am I missing something?

Not much difference.

Airport to Pattaya 1,500

Pattaya to Airport - start at 800 baht.

How about standard fairs LIKE IN THE REST OF THAILAND, which is by meter?!?!

And what makes Phuket so different that it justifies those horrendous fairs in the first place?

We don't have metered fares in Pattaya. They are all negotiated.

Yoi 'have' a baht bus, right?

Edited by noob7

Has anyone bothered to ask the mayor of patong, whose son is the president of the :"patong taxi coop and tuk tuk association about this?

They might be able to provide a reasonable answer, but the real answer is.

Don't forget, the major was the president before and made his son president, before he became major, the first time.

This way, a conflict of interest never happend! clap2.gif

Edited by noob7

Dont like the rip offs? easy solution, dont go to Phuket. It seems that most coastal resorts take full advantage of the gullibility of tourists. Chiang Mai however, whilst it does not have a beach, has many attractions and rip offs are both rare and minor in nature.

Clarification - click on the Phuket Gazette link to access the taxi fare tables ....

Would you find it reasonable for a taxi to charge 500 baht each way from say Patong - Airport and back?

As I have a friend who is a Thai national,and he's also half English, (so he's fluent in both languages) Anyway he used to be a stretch Limo driver in Pattaya, and worked doing routes from Pattaya to Airport and back, it went ok for a while, but not many people are that interested in taking a stretch limo back and forth so the market was not really there.

Anyway he is now living in Phuket (his home town actually) so he was thinking about starting his own little taxi business from all these main cities to Airport and back charging reasonable prices, and with an online reservations form, where anyone that was abroad could make a reservation and include their arrival times, where about in Phuket they are going, hotel, condo etc, etc, you get my drift.

Did he check with the mafia guy's? The first, he has to speak to. But they will show up, as soon he applies for a license. The meter Taxi Co. had to go to court, to get their license

Did he check with the mafia guy's? The first, he has to speak to. But they will show up, as soon he applies for a license. The meter Taxi Co. had to go to court, to get their license

I don't know, I haven't spoken to him since the idea, as I am not in Thailand at the moment, but if it is a private company and he uses his own private van, (as they did with the Limo) does he have to register as a taxi? I think not, yes I am aware about these mafia idiots, but Patong is his home town, plus he is very well connected, I don't think they will be a problem for him....

Edited by Mike West

Depends on your point of view, ie are you a once year tourist or travelling here on a regular basis and know the true cost of living here in Phuket. Annoys me to hear people saying the cost of a taxi in London, Perth, wherever is much more. Yes it is cos the cost of living there is much more. Look at the prices in other parts of Thailand, that's the true comparison.

I lived in phang nga for18 months , went to phukete every week or so, been living pattaya for 7 years.aveagoodweekend.

Tough luck mate! What happened? You in prison?

Another friend of mine moved to Pattaya a couple of weeks ago. That's 3 guys I know that have moved there now. They all used to be "die hard" Phuket fans.

How things have changed. :)

One reason for that. The taxi mafia along in the beach towns is very well organized. The government is not able to regulate them.

This is why this trip in a Bangkok metered taxi for this distance (35km) would be 190B (35B for first 3km and 5B for each additional km, add 100B inbound for "airport tax."

You are a bit off in your calculations, 35 km. in Bangkok (assuming no stand-still charge because of traffic) would be 224 baht. The 35 baht only covers the first km., and the 5 baht/km. rate is only for kilometers 2-12, after that the per km. charge increases incrementally with the distance.

Sophon

Interesting that they want 1,000 Baht from Rawai to the airport. I just called the meter taxi and got the same ride yesterday for 500 Baht. I don't know how much business they'll get at those prices, but they won't be getting any of mine. I thought the idea behind this push to register taxis was to stop the rip off, instead they legitimize it. Put meters in the taxis and tuk tuk and quite playing these games!

Spot on. How can you expect to get a fair price when those with a duty to govern it cave into the demands of the taxi companies. I last went to Phuket five years ago, and I now feel so much better, and less threatened, for it....!

"those with a duty to govern it cave into the demands" - they didn't "cave in" - they are involved in the collousion/scam as well.

• Like 1

The prices and general level of service you get from taxi's in phuket is the main reason i have not been there in years and do not plan to return. I have visited every other main island in thailand at least twice in that time period but refuse to go back to phuket.

If they charged DOUBLE the bangkok taxi meter rate in phuket it would be a bargain compared to the posted prices.

Bangkok taxi rates:

Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) 35.00 ฿

Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff) 5.00 ฿

You have forgotten the meter ticks over for every minute spent in traffic as well so a couple of km can easily cost 100 baht.

But still much cheaper than Phuket.

A Bangkok taxi can also pick up where he dropped off and the tribal nature of the transport co-operatives in Phuket means that this can't happen.