BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
yoslim

Fridge Repair Or Replacement

NumChai repair team came over today, of course the fridge was working better and my bottle of water was in fact cold when I checked in the morning. I still insisted they check the fridge (wasn't going to pay for nothing ermm.gif ) and they opened it up and there was some ice (small defrosting problem) so they melted it with a hot fan and now it works again as it should. dam_n I wish I had know better and saved 400 baht sad.png

NumChai repair team came over today, of course the fridge was working better and my bottle of water was in fact cold when I checked in the morning. I still insisted they check the fridge (wasn't going to pay for nothing ermm.gif ) and they opened it up and there was some ice (small defrosting problem) so they melted it with a hot fan and now it works again as it should. dam_n I wish I had know better and saved 400 baht sad.png

Still a lot cheaper than buying a new one

5 days after the repair guys came over bah.gif

Any advice on what I should do ? ermm.gif

post-13062-0-68253900-1348412845_thumb.j

Edited by yoslim

Google - ukwhitegoods -

Brilliant forums on there. That site helped my engineers out at times no end when I had the white goods business in UK.

You will most likely find an answer by asking on there, or you may even find it written already by someone.

Of course. Uk model numbers and Thai ones will be different I assume but you will work it out somehow.

Good luck.

Harry

Edited by Harrywonka

Of course, if you print off that picture and take it to Numchai they may know straight awa. Make sure you have make and model details with you if you do just in case they ask.

Several things it could be, depending on make and model of fridge. May be some electrical sensor or other but each make has it's own reason for doing such things, as well as reasons common to all fridges.

UKwhitegoods may provide an answer or Numchai or suchlike.

Harry

Edited by Harrywonka

Wish I had read this sooner. Freezer cold means compressor/cold is working. No cooling in refer means there's a blockage. The units always cool on the freezer side and then cold migrates to the refer side. Some have a small fan to move the air and others rely on a vent. In any case the cold air wasn't moving from the freezer part to the refer part. Yours was easy because you didn't have/need a new small fan.

What happened was far better than having a major repair or even buying a new machine, so it's all good.

Bought 5 Mitsubishi refrigerators 20 years ago and 2 of theme is still working, never repaired any of them. When they stop working I just threw them away.

Now I go for Electrolux, the best fridge if you ask me.

this may sound daft but i had some problems with my hitachi and i thought the door seal on the fridge bit was not closing as it should.

somebody on another forum suggested rubbing vaseline on the door seals and door and believe it or not it worked.thumbsup.gif

cost me 50 bht and i still have most of the contents of the jarrolleyes.gif.

right this trip i have used the vaseline method on 2 other fridges owned by doubting ex pats and it worked both times.

cheaper option than buying a new one

When the frost appears on the tubes in a frost free frdige, it is usually 1 or both of the following: the heater element is burned out or; the timer is not functioning correctly. You can check the element, usually a glass tube, with an ohm meter, it should not be an open circuit. The timer, decides the defrost cycle, usually about 40 minutes. If you get a new timer, be sure it is in a factory sealed box, and try to get one with a warranty. Sometimes dealers accept returns on timers and the consumer returns the defective timer, and then the merchant re-sells you the defective timer.

Edited by cigar7

My Samsung fridge has packed up now, 8 years old .

Repair guy said the compressor has no power to push the gas up <deleted>

Newd a new compressor and a fridge door seal.

Waiting for the quote later today.

Repair or buy new that is the question.

post-13062-0-68253900-1348412845_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some good offers in macro this month Why bother with Samsung its bitten You enough, and Me , Ive gone to Mitsu Totally.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Some good offers in macro this month Why bother with Samsung its bitten You enough, and Me , Ive gone to Mitsu Totally.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
I will have a look at the weekend, thanks

My 11 year old Samsung with vertical freezer/cooler arrangement started having cooling issues (excess condensation) in the cooler side while the freezer side seemed to be OK. Hauled it away from the wall, removed the back kick plate and removed a pound-and-a-half of black dust, hair and cobwebs from around the condenser coils. Then I removed the ice that was stopping the bottom door seal on the freezer doing its job properly. I guess someone hadn't closed the freezer door properly and the condensation stream froze. Checked all the door seals for malformation, cleaned them and the faces the seal against. All good again.

• Like 2

My 11 year old Samsung with vertical freezer/cooler arrangement started having cooling issues (excess condensation) in the cooler side while the freezer side seemed to be OK. Hauled it away from the wall, removed the back kick plate and removed a pound-and-a-half of black dust, hair and cobwebs from around the condenser coils. Then I removed the ice that was stopping the bottom door seal on the freezer doing its job properly. I guess someone hadn't closed the freezer door properly and the condensation stream froze. Checked all the door seals for malformation, cleaned them and the faces the seal against. All good again.
Bloke said 8,500 for a new compressor or 6,500 2nd hand .

Considering I paid 40K for it now I've got to think buy a new one or take a gamble .

Lovely big fridge, but if I buy a new one it will probably be a smaller one 1571307605164~2.jpeg1571307718428.jpeg1571307755424.jpeg

12 hours ago, Apiwan2 said:

Lovely big fridge, but if I buy a new one it will probably be a smaller one

I would get a new one, be around 11,000 baht. If it is a newer inverter model it might use less electricity and be quieter. Will be in Numchai myself later, second fridge in 2 months just packed in, both were 12 years plus old.