U S Wants The Film "innocence Of Muslims" To Be Removed From Google

george

Should Google remove the film?  

438 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I strongly believed freedom of speech to be very important

but I dissagre with freedom of slander, freedom to encite

violence (and those producers knew exatly what the airing

of that movie would do).

Even the best democracies don't allow freedom of inciting

haterance or malicious attempts to destabalize institutions.

Try denying the holocaust in Germany as example,

The more freedom we want, the more security we lose and

if we want security, we give up some of the freedom we have.

Just can't have the penny and the bun.

BUT.,.. that is NOT for any Government to take action, but to go to the COURT, who is in the "Free West" completely independant from any government. Something in NO islamic country is the case.

So, if you believe it is slander, hurt you etc, bring the one who did it to you to the court.

That's where we have these institutions for.

Like: you donot like the pictures made of your wife, but especially publicized ?

NOT your or any GOVERNMENT takes action, but youself by bringing the publicitor for a judge in court.

And in the Western World, the wife/women has exactly the same powers as you. When she likes the pictures, you hardly can do anything anymore.

Try that in the muslim world...

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you bow to ignorant uneducated bigoted mobs then one day we will all end up in the same gutter alongside them.

Fully agree with you on that. I read every day ignorant, uneducated, bigoted comments and speeches from people here on TV and from Thai politicians and you see, I'm in the same gutter alongside with all of you living here :-)

Exactly.....When Monty Python put out the life of Brian...where there riots in the streets, people murdered in the name of religion...dont think so....leave it up

Although, if "Life of Brian" (I love that movie) would have been produced today by some one called Bin Laden, I'm sure we would have riots all over the western world too.

Edited by JoeLing

Under no circumstances......what has happened to the US? They used to be the World leaders when it came to Free Speech!!

If you bow to ignorant uneducated bigoted mobs then one day we will all end up in the same gutter alongside them.

do you prefer do end up in the gutter dead or alive?

Google has complied to the internet censorship requests of the Chinese government - so why the double standards

I was under the impression that Google was evicted from the Chinese mainland? Has that changed? When I was last in China I had to access Google via Hong Kong.

Until March 2010, Google adhered to the Internet censorship policies of PRC. Google claimed that some censorship is necessary in order to keep the PRC government from blocking Google entirely. You could read this as a cynical statement to protect Google's commercial interests

Correct access in H.K., but I understand was still filtered by PRC - I might be wrong. From the following URL looks like Google is renegotiating with PRC as of May 2012 / looking at workarounds, don't know the outcome. What I was getting at that Google at one time did co-operate with PRC & now appear to be resisting US government requests in the name of national security. If the American public support this stance in support of Freedom of Speech, their choice.

http://en.wikipedia....of_Google#China

More info:

http://www.guardian....-users-censored

Edited by simple1

Google has complied to the internet censorship requests of the Chinese government - so why the double standards when the US is undoubtedly concerned about the security of American citizens

While this movie offends me, the double standard is exactly that because we are not China.

It was the double standard of Google I was referring

Although, if "Life of Brian" (I love that movie) would have been produced today by some one called Bin Laden, I'm sure we would have riots all over the western world too.

I believe he was in the life of Brian...a member of the suicide squad...tongue.png

It's actually a Double Like thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Looks like were headed right back to the Dark Ages where its illegal to criticize religion. I am getting sick and tired of Islam demanding this shroud of respect it is never willing to afford to others. You DO NOT have a right to not be offended in this life and you DO NOT have the right to inflict violence on others because of pictures or YouTube clips a half a world away. It is time the Governments of the world stood up to these murderous thugs and said no instead of cowtowing to them by granting their command for censorship under threat of violence.

You are right. A lot of the people actually doing the protests are uneducated and led by fanatics to whom they pay almost fuedal repsect. There is no excuse for the attacks on American citizens and embassies. It is indeed like the religious Inquisitions of the Dark Ages, or the totalitarian Nazi and Communist regimes who try to control by surpressing freedom of speech and indepentent thought. Islam is being hijacked by a small group of fanatics who, much like Hitler and Mao, create mass hysteria and violence as a means to their own ends. I hope America continues to be the champion of free speech and individual freedoms, and not turn to appeasment which time and again has been proven not to work.

• Like 1

Under no circumstances......what has happened to the US? They used to be the World leaders when it came to Free Speech!!

Nothing happened to the US - they didn't act to suppress the video. They ASKED Google to do so, and they were refused. The White House has been quite clear that they wouldn't compromise freedom of expression under any circumstances, meaning they would comply with the Constitution. Nothing prohibits them from asking for voluntary cooperation.

Google, to its credit, didn't comply.

What's so hard to understand?

• Like 1

Nothing happened to the US - they didn't act to suppress the video. They ASKED Google to do so, and they were refused. The White House has been quite clear that they wouldn't compromise freedom of expression under any circumstances, meaning they would comply with the Constitution. Nothing prohibits them from asking for voluntary cooperation.

Google, to its credit, didn't comply.

What's so hard to understand?

It's hard to understand the White House asking in the first place.

Try not to insult our intelligence old chap coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Sure glad all those Libyans have long memories and are still grateful to the Americans for all they did in helping to get rid of Gaddafi LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. Little wonder the US doesn't want to get involved in Syria. Seems the more you help certain groups of people, the more they resent you and want to stab you in the back, while (usually) still holding out their hands begging for money.

Nothing wrong with your article but,

I don't belive the US helped the Lybian people just for humanitarian reasons but more likely they helped them to help themself to get favorable terms for oil contracts and to establish Coke and McD in every street corner. (I know, desserts have no corners but there are plenty of towns in Lybia that do). So not quite sure why Lybian people should be greatfull to the US.

America, Britain and France provided air cover and other support for the people who were fighting to rid themselves of a lunatic dictator who had ruled for 42 years. Think about it.

• Like 1

Although I do believe in freedom of speech, of press, and I really do not believe in censorship of any kind, journalism and any media, such as YouTube or Google and others, should use their own judgement in deciding what clips and other items they would be wise, in the interest of the public, to "publish" . This so called film should have never been shown, but it is too late now. All that can be done now is to try and limit the damage, by not condoning this "film". Having said this allow me to empasise that I strongly condem the wild reactions and unaccepted behaviour of uneducated and violent masses. They cause more damage to their religion than they can imagine.

Have a look around YouTube. There is plenty of material to offend every possible religion, minority group, ethnicity, gender or dog breed. Why are looney radical Muslims so special that they should be shielded from things they consider offensive? Soon, Springer Spaniels may begin biting people after being portrayed as dumb....oooh, scary!

• Like 1

Freedom of speech is paramount. You Tube, the media in general and the public also have the freedom to ignore deeply offensive and inflammatory material and morally should do. Yes, you Tube should delete this film as a matter of principle, but not law.

• Like 1

You and other people on this forum do not understand how strongly Muslims feel about their religion .In countries like Singapore Malaysia and others with responsible leadership, racial and religious slurs are against the law because they can cause riots and death. This film was apparently made by an Israeli Jew in order to stir up trouble. But if anyone makes slurs against Israel and questions the Holocaust it is not acceptable especially in the US. There should be limits to free speech. The maker of the film is totally responsible for the death of the US ambassador and should be held accountable.

• Like 1

Shame on the White House for asking to have the clip removed

Sorry, but this has to be the silliest comment yet made.

Why wouldn't they ask Google to do something to remove material that is patently offensive? The point is that, because of the Constitution, they can't compel anyone to remove it.

I can't, for the life of me, understand why this is such a difficult concept. Civilized countries are constrained by LAWS, unlike the other kind.

• Like 1

Google has complied to the internet censorship requests of the Chinese government - so why the double standards

I was under the impression that Google was evicted from the Chinese mainland? Has that changed? When I was last in China I had to access Google via Hong Kong.

Until March 2010, Google adhered to the Internet censorship policies of PRC. Google claimed that some censorship is necessary in order to keep the PRC government from blocking Google entirely. You could read this as a cynical statement to protect Google's commercial interests

Correct access in H.K., but I understand was still filtered by PRC - I might be wrong. From the following URL looks like Google is renegotiating with PRC as of May 2012 / looking at workarounds, don't know the outcome. What I was getting at that Google at one time did co-operate with PRC & now appear to be resisting US government requests in the name of national security. If the American public support this stance in support of Freedom of Speech, their choice.

http://en.wikipedia....of_Google#China

More info:

http://www.guardian....-users-censored

I'm aware of what happened on the run up to Google being evicted from mainland China, and yes they did go through a phase of attempted compliance with local conditions, however in the end various factors came into play which resulted in Google leaving the mainland. Factors too numerous to mention in this thread, and to be honest with you Google can speak for themselves, they don't need me.

My primary interest in your post was the notion that Google were back in the Chinese mainland market, to date it appears not to be the case. One of these days, If I can be bothered, I'll write a treatise on the state of the Nations in connection with China and the USA. The USA is marching into a suicidal position, and one of these days historians will look back on Nixon's visit to China in 1972 as the day it all went wrong for the US.

The constitution incorporating Freedom of Speech was written for American citizens. With the advent of instant global content communication, Freedom of Speech is no longer purely a US issue. In many western countries it is illegal to publish content that can be construed as vilification / incitement of hatred of any faith or people. e.g. Someone posted that under Freedom of Speech the Nazi Party is legal in the USA and that's OK for the Nazi's to publish their poison as it's a protected right under the constitution. In most western countries it is banned.

It's time for US citizens to wake up and stop taking such a self centered view of the world. Stop supporting activities that are illegal in countries that are US allies and damaging their interests.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

I saw this so called 'movie' few hours ago.

I consider its scenario and 'jokes' poor and should not disturb anyone.

I'ts a trash made by a stupid guy/s.

You should smile on such movie.

I am an othodox christian by born and i am from an young democracy, but i've learned what tolerance and freedom of speech meens.

I remember i was laughed loudly when i saw (as a member posted before) Mounty Python movie.

Stop violence! Respect life! Respect civilians! Educate yourself and evolve, life is too short!

I wonder what would have voted Mahatma Gandhi...