True Visions Hd Pvr

chris2004

Apologies if this has been covered already.

In my Truevisions magazine this month was a plug for the HD PVR. It's in thai but seems to offer the service for an extra 99 baht a month plus the chance to buy the recorder for 4,780 baht (not sure if this is the 500 mb or 1TB).

Has anyone started using this service yet? Does it work OK?

Can you buy your own eSATA hard drive for less (if so what model), or can you use a 1 or 2 TB HD. If recording HD movies 500 mb wouldn't last long.

I'm using it with my own 1Tb HDD. 3 months free PVR to check it out.

Is quite a nice system from what I've seen in the couple of weeks of using it.

Edit - The HDD they will supply is a very pricey 500Gb, much much cheaper to buy your own but beware a USB HDD doesn't work, it needs to be eSATA.

Edited by TS79

What I can tell you is that a few months ago I purchased the service and recorder and once I learnt how to operate the recorder I am very satisfied with it. Can record certain movies and selected documentaries etc and view them when it suits me- which is very convenient. In my view as less than 10% of all True Vision programmes(apart from some of the live sport) are worthwhile watching then having the recorder is a big bonus.

Edited by Zodiac

Thanks TS79 i was going to buy my own recorder rather than pay 4,780 to Truevisions. What model did you get/price? Apart from having to be eSATA will any model work.

As long as its eSATA then it will work. I actually bought a regular sata internal HDD (1Tb) and a little docking station which I can plug in 2 x sata drives which has eSATA cable and also USB if I want to connect to my laptop.

The 1TB is Hitachi and was 2100 baht, the little dock was 900 baht. Easy to tuck away behind the TV.

Cheers,

T.

post-135940-0-65466900-1348035483_thumb.

It doesn't matter what HDD it is, whatever brand you prefer as long as its SATA / eSATA. I got a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 0F15632, the dock is a cheap OKER DK-U2. All cables came with the dock.

All from a little PC shop in Big C Phuket.

Edited by TS79

For those looking to get a PVR through True Visions there is a very useful article on www.somkiet.com/AudioVideo/HD-PVR.html which sets out all the options. Following this i bought the Orico 2.5 in 2598 HDD external enclosure and a 500gb Seagate HDD. Worked great from the outset and i am very happy with the PVR service (so far).

The good thing about the external drives of course is that you add as many as you want as it fills up. Next time i will get the 1TB WD10JPVT which i've seen for 3,150 baht

Thanks for the info.

Just got back from Tukcom in Pattaya armed with a 'Toaster' by IdeaTools docking station (Baht 1,200) and a 2TB WD HDD (Baht 3,360).

A quick phone call to Truevisions to activate the PVR service and I was up & running within 20 mins of getting back to my condo. Despite some misinformation provided over the phone from the Truevisions operative.... she reckoned (wrongly) that the power for my new HDD needed to be supplied from the Truevisions receiver. I informed her that all should be well because the HDD will draw it's power from the powered dock.

All seems to be working well and I'm looking forward to recording some sport in High-def over this coming weekend.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Bulshy.

to Bulshy and others,

" a quick call to TrueVisions to activate the PVR service"; not so quick for me. I cannot make out what numbers they want, are they saying 'serial number', 'enclosure number' or what, and where do I find them?

I have Orico 2598 with cables and Seagate 1 TB sata.

goutngrump

to Bulshy and others,

" a quick call to TrueVisions to activate the PVR service"; not so quick for me. I cannot make out what numbers they want, are they saying 'serial number', 'enclosure number' or what, and where do I find them?

I have Orico 2598 with cables and Seagate 1 TB sata.

goutngrump

When I activated my PVR by calling TrueVisions I didn't have to give them any information other than my True Vision account number. What HDD and enclosure you have is of no concern to them.

(unless they are getting pi$$ed off that no-one is using their expensive HDD).

Edited by TS79
  • Like 2

Well, I've had my PVR/HDD set up for a week now and would like to deliver my opinion.....

The PVR is an improvement over the old non HD PVR, however I am encountering one big problem. During virtually every recorded programme I play back, I find that the picture goes blank for one or two seconds at some point but when the picture returns I find the programme has jumped ahead by approx 2 minutes! I can rewind and watch the missed portion but I find it very frustrating especially if it's live sports I've recorded (there might be a goal or other important action in that 2 minute spell).

Also noticed that when recording 'series' there is no info displayed in the PVR list which tells you what episode number it is.

Has anyone else experienced the 2 minute 'jumping' problems same as myself?

Regards,

Bulshy.

To TS79 again,

Can you really use USB (or even esata) to connect to a computer?

I find it impossible to watch (or even copy) any recorded programs except thru Truevision's PVR.

I was hoping to take the Orico on the road and watch via my laptop.

Incidentally, my experiments did not lead to unintentionally wiping my recordings, so no damage done.

To TS79 again,

Can you really use USB (or even esata) to connect to a computer?

I find it impossible to watch (or even copy) any recorded programs except thru Truevision's PVR.

I was hoping to take the Orico on the road and watch via my laptop.

Incidentally, my experiments did not lead to unintentionally wiping my recordings, so no damage done.

The recordings from UBC that are stored on your external drive are in a format that cannot be read by a PC. The hardware you bought (HDD and docking station) can be used to connect to a PC but not to extract the saved TV programmes.