Computer Classes For Smart Kid - In Bkk

Nepal4me

My son is in Year 2 in an international school. They just did standardized English and Math testing in his school. This was a test done in hundreds of private schools across Asia including Bangkok Pattana and ISB.

At the risk of sounding like a proud parent smile.png , my son's scores in math were the highest of the 45 kids in his year and he was measured slightly above average in math for a year 4 student.

It was quite obvious to us and to his teachers even when he was as young as 2 that he was bright. He could do all kinds of menu based things that kids much older couldn't do. I have a music system in my car that has an atrociously difficult menu system, my wife can't figure it out and I often make mistakes. He at 3 years old, had it sussed. There are many examples like that from when he was 2 and 3 but I don't want to bore you smile.png

I am wondering if there is a computer school in Bangkok for kids where my son could attend. If anybody has information on good computer courses/schools, I would appreciate it.

BTW, I'm not an over the top parent wanting my kid to be unusual or special. I want him to be normal but I want to encourage him too and let him find things that he likes to do. He does football and swimming on Saturday because he really enjoys them and otherwise we encourage him to be a kid and play.

Not sure if they do any entry level courses but maybe try http://isolthai.com/courses/certificationcourses.html

I would get him doing something like CompTIA A+/N+ or some of the Microsoft ones net essentials ect. That's all pretty basic stuff but it sounds like maybe he could pick it up.

Btw if you can't find any classes that reach that then invest in some scrap pc and get some of those home learning kits with videos. Train Signal,CBT nuggets are all excellent. Hands on is important but for those course especially the A+ unless you plan to get into hardware support then you can do it straight from the book.

Good luck

As a web developer and desktop support technician (in my free-time I like to tweak home-cinema set-ups, re-wire the house, tinker with the motorbike) can I have you think about other skills that will test your son. My reasoning for this is fairly simple. Unless you actually want to steer your child into a particular career in programming then IT knowledge is going to be fairly moot. Right now we are in the earliest stages of augmented reality and tactile interfaces. Most babies understand a smartphone because smartphone interfaces are written to be instinctive. This will only become more integrated to work alongside human nature and how we naturally work with our environments.

To get ideas of projects to test your child and provide you both with a lot of entertainment check out

http://www.instructables.com/

Find some projects on here that will excite you both and let your child do the leading. Be there to assist if need be and enjoy. Let the computer skills come later if that is the direction your kid wants. If he is as bright as you think he is (my 10 month old girl is similar....seriously!) then you needn't worry about loading him with knowledge as he will find his way and storm down that path. In the meantime have a lot of laughs smile.png

Edited by draftvader

BTW, I'm not an over the top parent wanting my kid to be unusual or special. I want him to be normal but I want to encourage him too and let him find things that he likes to do. He does football and swimming on Saturday because he really enjoys them and otherwise we encourage him to be a kid and play.

And now you want to introduce him to computers (play games) rolleyes.gif

When I was 5 years old my father bought me an Amstrad computer (terminal, green screen, ancient i know). Set off a life long interest in math/programming.

I did not take a single programming course until college. However, started coding simple projects in Basic when I was about 11 or 12.

I would suggest you focus on building a strong math foundation for now. Many people are helpless with anything beyond using a computer because they lack development of the analytical part of their brain. Math is the foundation of computer science. This is where you must begin.

Also, if you feel you must get started now, buy him a few computer science books. He either picks it up or he doesn't.