Bungsamran Rod Loss A Different Story

robblok

In general when you loose a rod in BSR the guys will start dredging for it and usually but not always find it. Last Wednesday i went fishing with a friend, in the past i have learned not to have a phone / keys / wallet on me while fishing. I keep those separate just in case.

This Wednesday was a "just in case day", i had a fish taking the bait and i struck and for some reason the rod slipped from my hands and got pulled into the water. My gear is real expensive (accurate bx 500 and jigging master 3 kings rod) and i did not hesitate one moment and jumped after the rod. Much to the amusement of everyone else.

Because i did not hesitate and responded fast i got the rod, but the fish was pulling me away (it was a tail hook i found out later). I disengaged the brake and swam back to shore handing over my rod to my friend. I got out and engaged the brake again and started fighting the fish. It was a fish that was a bit bigger as normal but not over 40kg. But it was tail hooked so it took a while to get in.

I was dripping wet for part of the day but i did not care, i knew they probably would have gotten the rod while dredging but i could not be sure 100%.

Just a few points, if i had known i had a phone or stuff in my pockets i would not have jumped. Also i knew that the lake was deep so i did not risk much jumping in. I would not have jumped in at shadow lake as i would probably have hurt myself. Other lakes i would also probably not have jumped in as i did not know the bottom. I don't like jumping in but at that point it seemed like the good thing to do.

My friend had to laugh a lot and others too they did comment me on my fast reaction.

Anyway it was a fun day fishing.

• Like 1

I would jump after my gear too. I never really worry about a rod slipping out of my hands but anything can happen. It is possible for braid to dig into itself and jam if it's not loaded with enough tension but I spool from reel to reel to make sure that wont happen. So you'll have a nice session taking your reel apart draining it and re-oiling/lubricating. I can't imaging a dredged rod and reel will be in great condition after.

Must admit robs reflexes on this occasion were very impressive...i once had the same reflex in a rod loss situation but alas both my phone and wallet were in my pocket,

I was a little surprised he actually got his hand on the rod considering the speed it was going and robs spread eagle jump...a nice dive with some style next time pls,

When rob handed me the rod his reel was in free spool with a lot of line going fast...this fish was heading for obstructions on the other side, I had engaged the drag and not only stopped the fish for some moments but regained some line ...i put it back into free spool when i handed it back thinking it might slip out his wet hands,

If only i could have taken a video it would have been perfect!

I experienced a similar think in oz, I was fishing from the bank in a Qld river(Gregory) on the outgoing tide and the bank was around 8 feet of sticky mud. A large cod hit the bait as I was distracted by a mate and the rod was just ripped out of my hand, like you I have good quality gear and promptly went over the bank after it. I was covered form head to toe in the stinking mud but I got my rod and actually got the fish to the bank before I lost it. Because it was a run out tide I had tightened the drag up and used a heavier sinker and when the fish hit I was only holding the rod in one hand as I had turned around to see what my mate wanted. Wasnt to dissapointed with loosing the cod, dont really like eating them(flesh is a bit too soft for me) plus we had a heap of mud crabs in the pots, mate wet himself laughing when I emerged back over the bank covered in mud, also like you I dont carry any valuables on me when I fish.

Dennis