10,000 Baht Program.

Issangeorge

It's too bad the program is not permanent, I teach at a small primary school (Anuban to M 3) in a small village. When I started almost none of the children could read and I almost never heard English in the village. Now some students are reading a little bit and I quite often hear students say hello etc. in the village, plus I sometimes hear them speaking English to each other. To my mind English is becoming used a little more and understood a little more, but of course four months is a drop in the bucket. If they had a permanent program where all P 4 students were taught by a NES teacher once a week until M 6, most students would have a basic knowledge of English and the ones who were interested would have a good opportunity of being fluent or at least functionally fluid.

Edited by Scott
formatting

I have worked here now for several years. I wanted to stay here but without being able to get a full-time job because I was seen as a trouble-maker/drunkard/not holding a degree.........the last one is at least 100% true. I decided to go voluntary as a teacher in a very nice small school outside from my town. The kids were star-strucked when they first met me........now it has been over 1 yr since I have offered my services and this incentive scheme did help me out after a few head-aches of finally getting my hands on some of the money. Just this week-end one of the schools students competed in a speech contest, which was to tell a story and be questioned about it. She came 3rd out of 15 other schools in the area. The 1st was from the bi-lingual school........I feel so proud that she did so well and it is a two finger-up at the full-paying schools! All the kids, even anuban will try and use english with me. If the incentive scheme is cut it would mainly hurt these small schools and communities. Shame on the MOE if they let this happen and I am not only thinking about my wallet.