American Aircraft Carrier To Arrive In Phuket

webfact

American aircraft carrier to arrive in Phuket

Phuket Gazette

c1.jpeg

About 3,500 US Navy sailors will have the opportunity to soak up some local culture and take a break from their duties when the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis pulls into Phuket early next month. Photo: US Navy

c2.jpeg

NEED A LIFT? Crew members of the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis are looking forward their stop in Phuket. Photo: US Navy

PHUKET: -- The American aircraft carrier USS John C Stennis (CVN-74), dispatched four months ahead of schedule back in August, will arrive in Phuket early next month along with two US warships and 3,500 sailors.

The Washington-state-based aircraft carrier's current mission is to ensure security and stability in the “vital Asia-Pacific region”, according to the ship’s Facebook page.

The departure of the ship comes on the heels of rising tension between Japan and China over the sovereignty of the disputed islands known as Diaoyu in China and Senkaku in Japan.

However, Matt Plouche and Charles E Stehwien from the US embassy in Bangkok met Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha yesterday to formally confirm that the US Navy ships will be anchored in Ao Makham Port from October 7 to 10.

“All 3,500 sailors will be rotating off the ship to spend time in Phuket, especially Patong,” said Phuket Tourist Association Vice President for Marketing Bhuritt Maswongsa.

Heading back to the Arabian Gulf, the ship will be spending time in the US 7th Fleet area of operations “engaging with some of our country’s important allies and to experience [other] unique cultures that can only be found in this part of the world,” said RDML Chuck Gaouette, Commander of the John C. Stennis Strike Group 86.

According to the USS John C Stennis’ Admiral video blog, the sailors are looking forward to the break in routine.

“Getting off the ship and, you know, seeing new sights, places I’ve never been,” said one sailor in the blog who plans to relax, put his feet up and catch some sun while in Phuket.

“It just gives us something to look forward to,” said another crew member.

Due to the strict rules given to sailors on shore leave, there should not be too many problems involving them while they are on Phuket, said Mr Bhuritt.

“It’s good that the ships are coming to Phuket as it supports our tourism. We expect each sailor to spend about 10,000 baht a day,” Mr Bhuritt added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle17978.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-09-22

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope they send out a warning flyer about the beach armchair mafia, the tuk tuk mafia, the double pricing standards, the motor bike accidents and bingle rip offs and let's not forget the jet ski's, the fire compliant disco's.... Did I miss anything apart from the floods? ohmy.png

A warning on the American Embassy website would be good.

“It’s good that the ships are coming to Phuket as it supports our tourism. We expect each sailor to spend about 10,000 baht a day,” Mr Bhuritt added.

I shall go to work there in the bars also lol

Hope they send out a warning flyer about the beach armchair mafia, the tuk tuk mafia, the double pricing standards, the motor bike accidents and bingle rip offs and let's not forget the jet ski's, the fire compliant disco's.... Did I miss anything apart from the floods? ohmy.png

They get briefings on that type of stuff before they are allowed to exit the ship. Talk about most possible scenarios. Especially the more common type of rip offs. Most of them won't care and are just thinking about all the amazing asian girls they will see. Who are there just 'visiting ' their friends that work there.

There will be lots of smiling BGs and many handsome men around.

Also many Isaan girls will suddenly have a "job" in Bangkok.....

Yes as stated earlier. THey're only there on holiday for a few days. hehe I want to go just to see the girls working their magic. Edited by metisdead
: 30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.
  • Like 1

And every time they come, some girl die, like last year throved out of a balcony, last april 1 girl died in panga bay on motorbike but no one from the ship to be found only that her friends know that she left with a sailor, raped by three sailors in a guest house in Kata ,no CCTV of course , can't ruin the business ??

Jack

And every time they come, some girl die, like last year throved out of a balcony, last april 1 girl died in panga bay on motorbike but no one from the ship to be found only that her friends know that she left with a sailor, raped by three sailors in a guest house in Kata ,no CCTV of course , can't ruin the business ??

Thousands of rapes, murders, and scooter deaths every year. Some of them happen while the navy is in port. The vast majority happen when (and where) they're not in port.

Hardly a cause-effect relationship.

Let 'em spend their money in Phuket. The place will survive, and maybe some of them will decide they like it and become TV lifers when they retire.

Oh, wait a minute...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Might have to go to Phuket for the week.

I like sailors.

Isn't there another name for Sailors?

Squids....Swabbies... 2 that just popped into me mind...

I don't suggest you call any of them that...could

receive more than you hoped for.

• Like 1

I like sailors.

Ill keep that in mind.

I think Dorothy really fancies any seaman though.

Is seamen misspelled? Should it be semen instead?

• Like 1

'not too many problems' unless they hire a Tuk Tuk that islaugh.png

Well the Tuk Tuk mafia might be in for a suprise if they try to gang up on these boys and beat the hell out of them like they do regular tourist. These fellows are game for the game so to speak.

Well they did not put much of a fight the last few times they were here.Got fleeced good and proper.

Jack

Ridiculous. What a breath of fresh air you must be like to be around. Everytime they come around....what a dick.

American sailors know that if they're caught doing anything wrong, they won't get off the ship for six months. I've been in Patong many times with sailors in town and always found them to be well behaved and polite. The shore patrol is highly visable and on patrol. Before they step on land here they are lectured extensively about the do's and don't. You rarely see a drunk sailor wandering around. I have friends in the Tourist Police who work with the Navy so that everything goes smoothly and I've never heard of a major incident. The US Navy does me proud everytime they're here. The Navy is often here. When a big ship comes in, it makes news. I remember asking a big group of them if they had heard the news. I told them Bin Laden had been killed and watched them celebrate. Unforgetable, really.

• Like 2

I like sailors.

AND, the ever popular, sea going bellhop. Sorry, couldn't resist.. I'm a former US Marine. tongue.png

• Like 1

I did duty aboard three carriers and I wonder about the numbers. There are about 3000 ships company and 2500 air wing. for over 5000 sailors. I don't know what their escourts are but you can

bet there are a bunch of them too. Usually from 100 to 300 sailors on a destroyer. Don't know what else they have as escourts. Could be as many as 18 more ships.

It will be a big cash injection for the city.