Subway System In Chiang Mai

CMNightRider

My understanding was that the Songtaew Mafia has been stifling any attempt to create a half decent public transport system in Chiang Mai for years and years. Thailand's second city and no mass transit. Embarrassing.

Incorrect. There is a bus service although like many things in life, it could be better. The important part of the message though is that there is no mafia, despite how much people like to use that word when describin things in Thailand!

I think they use the word so when they perceive them selves as being ripped off they can say the mafia ripped me off not this Thai guy beat me out of 10 baht on a songthow ride.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Indeed, it's as though using the word Mafia to describe almost any aspect of Thai life will excuse the fact that a person paid the wrong price for something out of ignorance or stupidity, ah well you see I bought this house for ten million baht, the real estate agent mafia really screwed me over - and/or, the carrots were marked as 22 baht but I got charged 35 baht, the Rimping cashier mafia really .....! Big sigh,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend said she read an article about the subway plan in a Thai magazine that was published this month. She said a high ranking city manager was interviewed about the proposed plan. According to the article, the city manager stated the electrical lines have been laid and they are going to go forward with it. I think it is a great idea if it happens.

I know we have a mayor, but how many ranks of city managers do we have ????

I don't know how many there are, but what I do know is that every last one of them will want their cut before a sod ever gets turned !

My understanding was that the Songtaew Mafia has been stifling any attempt to create a half decent public transport system in Chiang Mai for years and years. Thailand's second city and no mass transit. Embarrassing.

Incorrect. There is a bus service although like many things in life, it could be better. The important part of the message though is that there is no mafia, despite how much people like to use that word when describin things in Thailand!

I think they use the word so when they perceive them selves as being ripped off they can say the mafia ripped me off not this Thai guy beat me out of 10 baht on a songthow ride.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Quantity over quality again, with some people's posting habits. I withdraw my loose usage of the word 'Mafia' - upon reflection, I'm fairly sure they weren't born in Sicily or have a particular fondness for pasta.

To spell it out for the hard-of-understanding TAT representatives among you, Songtaew concessions are very closely guarded by those who sell, drive, fix, rent and otherwise organize their use. Ask any Songtaew driver, if you can stomach talking to a Red Shirt.

As for 10 Baht per ride, that would be cheaper than getting on mass transit in BKK or any other fully fledged city, so it wouldn't really be a problem now, would it? I'm talking about if you want to go from, say Airport Plaza to somewhere where there happens to be no other people wanting to go at that particular time, let's say a few Km, and paying at least 100 Baht a time.

And as for the current bus 'service', you're more likely to see a wayward bald-headed eagle nesting on the gables of your local wat than spot one of these elusive vehicles.

I realize you people can't handle your choice of abode being knocked in any way since it obviously involves an affront to your own judgement, but come on. There is no half decent mass transportation system in Chiang Mai and it is an embarrassment.

P.S. If you'd like me to say something nice about CM, please let me know and I will. Just not about mass transit.

Edited by 15Peter20
  • Like 1

It seems to me that by the time you made the effort to get to a subway stop, you'd be halfway to your destination. A city bus line would seem more logical for a city this size and it'd certainly be a lot cheaper.

Wouldn't it be considerably cheaper to construct an above

ground train system like the Bangkok skytrain?

There was a plan to re-use some of the components from that urban monument called the Hopewell project in BKK, but it was opposed by city hall on the grounds it did not fit with Lanna culture. Their alternative was much more appropriate:

hopehenge.jpg

Construction will start as soon as Fred and Barney can afford the Tea Money! tongue.png

Wouldn't it be considerably cheaper to construct an above

ground train system like the Bangkok skytrain?

There was a plan to re-use some of the components from that urban monument called the Hopewell project in BKK, but it was opposed by city hall on the grounds it did not fit with Lanna culture. Their alternative was much more appropriate:

hopehenge.jpg

Construction will start as soon as Fred and Barney can afford the Tea Money! tongue.png

and how does this " fit with Lanna culture "..............?tongue.png

post-149848-0-23118800-1348556513_thumb.

Edited by Asiantravel

Quantity over quality again, with some people's posting habits. I withdraw my loose usage of the word 'Mafia' - upon reflection, I'm fairly sure they weren't born in Sicily or have a particular fondness for pasta.

To spell it out for the hard-of-understanding TAT representatives among you, Songtaew concessions are very closely guarded by those who sell, drive, fix, rent and otherwise organize their use. Ask any Songtaew driver, if you can stomach talking to a Red Shirt.

As for 10 Baht per ride, that would be cheaper than getting on mass transit in BKK or any other fully fledged city, so it wouldn't really be a problem now, would it? I'm talking about if you want to go from, say Airport Plaza to somewhere where there happens to be no other people wanting to go at that particular time, let's say a few Km, and paying at least 100 Baht a time.

And as for the current bus 'service', you're more likely to see a wayward bald-headed eagle nesting on the gables of your local wat than spot one of these elusive vehicles.

I realize you people can't handle your choice of abode being knocked in any way since it obviously involves an affront to your own judgement, but come on. There is no half decent mass transportation system in Chiang Mai and it is an embarrassment.

P.S. If you'd like me to say something nice about CM, please let me know and I will. Just not about mass transit.

We don't mind that you don't say nice things about our fair city, the more negative comments the better, that way fewer people will be inclined to come and live here.

But just between you and me only, the red bus and indeed the more modern purple bus system does work, in fact they both work really well, I think. I don't know where you live but I'm just over the river on the East side, the purple bus service runs on a regular and frequent basis along the river road although I admit I do not know where else they go. The system of Songtaews also works exceptionally well, I think, ten or twenty baht to go from A to B, what good value, who gives a toss what the politics of the driver are, doubtless Thai Airways has some pilots who also wear red but I feel sure that wouldn't cause you not to fly with them. OK so the price goes up to two pounds or three dollars if you live in some godforsaken remote wilderness other than Muang, it still seems like a pretty good deal to me compared to any alternatives anywhere and doubtless that cost doesn't offset the cost benefits of living in the wildnerness.

BTW I like spaghetti and I'm not mafioso so there is no linkage there I'm afraid. tongue.png

Edited by chiang mai

Does the red or purple buses go down Huay Kaew Road? It appears to be a complete mystery when and where any public busses travel in Chiang Mai. I can't even find Thai's that know anything about them. As far as the songtaews, they are certainly cheap enough but add to the traffic congestion due to their numbers. A subway system sure sounds like a sensible idea to me. I think this is going to happen in the near future.

The important part of the message though is that there is no mafia, despite how much people like to use that word when describin things in Thailand!

Obviously you've never been to Phuket then.

I lived in Patong for four years, but this conversation was about Chiang Mai, not Phuket!

Ever once in a while someone will mention red and purple public busses being available in Chiang Mai. I can't even find a Thai that know anything about these elusive busses. Generally, when a city has public transportation it is no mystery as to where they are, what their routes are, and the cost. It appears to be a complete mystery when and where any public busses travel in Chiang Mai. I have lived in Chiang Mai, for over four years, and at no time have I ever seen a buss at a buss stop. sad.png

Ever once in a while someone will mention red and purple public busses being available in Chiang Mai. I can't even find a Thai that know anything about these elusive busses. Generally, when a city has public transportation it is no mystery as to where they are, what their routes are, and the cost. It appears to be a complete mystery when and where any public busses travel in Chiang Mai. I have lived in Chiang Mai, for over four years, and at no time have I ever seen a buss at a buss stop. sad.png

And they want to put a subway in!! laugh.png

I'm sure sometimes people think that Chiang Mai is one of the great cities of the world.

A Subway RT system will never happen if the number crunchers do an in-depth study. CM has no real CBD.

A bus system could work if sufficient modern buses were put on couple of busy routes - one which comes to mind would circuit the moat, down Suthep Rd past all medical centres to the back of the Uni and back again. Another around moat and up Changpuak Rd etc.... They'd have to dedicate the LH lane to buses and taxis and enforce it wouldn't work.

Actually, the problem is they seem to have no-one who has sufficient communication skills to get the word out. You can get a pretty comfortable a/c bus from Worarot Market to Nong Hoi (and I think all the way to Lamphun, certainly Saraphi) and on the couple of times I have used it it was better than a songthaw by far.

Edited by Greenside

Actually, the problem is they seem to have no-one who has sufficient communication skills to get the word out. You can get a pretty comfortable a/c bus from Worarot Market to Nong Hoi (and I think all the way to Lamphun, certainly Saraphi) and on the couple of times I have used it it was better than a songthaw by far.

Just need to expand that one line "network" to run along all the major arteries radiating from Chiang Mai, to Hang Dong, Mae Rim, Doi Saket, & San Kamphaeng. Bus every 10 minutes, running until midnight......

And out of town car parks, so people can get to the bus in their car.

Edited by MESmith

Can you get a bus from anywhere along Huay Kaew Road or Nimanhamin Road to Airport Plaza? There are bus stops along Huay Kaew but I have never seen a bus stop at any of them. One person here mentioned there was a red and purple bus line. Where do these buses go?

Considering there's been a bus system for a couple (few) years and no-one can give definite information about it, speaks volumes for what a shambles it is and how silly it is to even think of a subway system..

I see blue buses at Chiang Mai gate all the time. Don't have a clue as to where they go or what time. Also have seen the ocasiona one on the river by the wharot market.

Does any one know the correct English spelling for that market.

Considering there's been a bus system for a couple (few) years and no-one can give definite information about it, speaks volumes for what a shambles it is and how silly it is to even think of a subway system..

Too harsh, I drive everywhere so never need to take it.

I see blue buses at Chiang Mai gate all the time. Don't have a clue as to where they go or what time. Also have seen the ocasiona one on the river by the wharot market.

Does any one know the correct English spelling for that market.

It's Wararot, as far as I can make out, although I've also seen it spelled Wararos somewhere

That is the problem, you can either drive or take a songtaew. The streets of Chiang Mai, are congested, and since the police don't enforce traffic laws for some unknown reason, the roads can be down right dangerous. At times it is laughable to watch how people drive here until you see people who have been hurt in avoidable traffic accidents.

Too harsh.......which part?

The shambles part. Look, I think most people are aware that the introduction of the bus system was a brave attempt to introduce better organised public transport but that the needs of the Sontaew drivers must be catered to also. Hence, full implementation of the system will take many years with embryonic routes such as present forming the early outline. That's not shambolic that sensible poilitical compromise that caters to everyones needs, eventually. giggle.gif

The shambles part. Look, I think most people are aware that the introduction of the bus system was a brave attempt to introduce better organised public transport but that the needs of the Sontaew drivers must be catered to also. Hence, full implementation of the system will take many years with embryonic routes such as present forming the early outline. That's not shambolic that sensible poilitical compromise that caters to everyones needs, eventually. giggle.gif

Fair enough, let's discuss it again after another few years, when buses will be in full swing.

• Like 1