BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
CMNightRider

Subway System In Chiang Mai

Ever once in a while someone will mention red and purple public busses being available in Chiang Mai. I can't even find a Thai that know anything about these elusive busses. Generally, when a city has public transportation it is no mystery as to where they are, what their routes are, and the cost. It appears to be a complete mystery when and where any public busses travel in Chiang Mai. I have lived in Chiang Mai, for over four years, and at no time have I ever seen a buss at a buss stop. sad.png

Ever once in a while someone will mention red and purple public busses being available in Chiang Mai. I can't even find a Thai that know anything about these elusive busses. Generally, when a city has public transportation it is no mystery as to where they are, what their routes are, and the cost. It appears to be a complete mystery when and where any public busses travel in Chiang Mai. I have lived in Chiang Mai, for over four years, and at no time have I ever seen a buss at a buss stop. sad.png

And they want to put a subway in!! laugh.png

I'm sure sometimes people think that Chiang Mai is one of the great cities of the world.

A Subway RT system will never happen if the number crunchers do an in-depth study. CM has no real CBD.

A bus system could work if sufficient modern buses were put on couple of busy routes - one which comes to mind would circuit the moat, down Suthep Rd past all medical centres to the back of the Uni and back again. Another around moat and up Changpuak Rd etc.... They'd have to dedicate the LH lane to buses and taxis and enforce it wouldn't work.

Actually, the problem is they seem to have no-one who has sufficient communication skills to get the word out. You can get a pretty comfortable a/c bus from Worarot Market to Nong Hoi (and I think all the way to Lamphun, certainly Saraphi) and on the couple of times I have used it it was better than a songthaw by far.

Edited by Greenside

Actually, the problem is they seem to have no-one who has sufficient communication skills to get the word out. You can get a pretty comfortable a/c bus from Worarot Market to Nong Hoi (and I think all the way to Lamphun, certainly Saraphi) and on the couple of times I have used it it was better than a songthaw by far.

Just need to expand that one line "network" to run along all the major arteries radiating from Chiang Mai, to Hang Dong, Mae Rim, Doi Saket, & San Kamphaeng. Bus every 10 minutes, running until midnight......

And out of town car parks, so people can get to the bus in their car.

Edited by MESmith

Can you get a bus from anywhere along Huay Kaew Road or Nimanhamin Road to Airport Plaza? There are bus stops along Huay Kaew but I have never seen a bus stop at any of them. One person here mentioned there was a red and purple bus line. Where do these buses go?

Considering there's been a bus system for a couple (few) years and no-one can give definite information about it, speaks volumes for what a shambles it is and how silly it is to even think of a subway system..

Considering there's been a bus system for a couple (few) years and no-one can give definite information about it, speaks volumes for what a shambles it is and how silly it is to even think of a subway system..

I see blue buses at Chiang Mai gate all the time. Don't have a clue as to where they go or what time. Also have seen the ocasiona one on the river by the wharot market.

Does any one know the correct English spelling for that market.

Too harsh, I drive everywhere so never need to take it.

I see blue buses at Chiang Mai gate all the time. Don't have a clue as to where they go or what time. Also have seen the ocasiona one on the river by the wharot market.

It's Wararot, as far as I can make out, although I've also seen it spelled Wararos somewhere

I see blue buses at Chiang Mai gate all the time. Don't have a clue as to where they go

Doi Tao.

Kad Luang.

That is the problem, you can either drive or take a songtaew. The streets of Chiang Mai, are congested, and since the police don't enforce traffic laws for some unknown reason, the roads can be down right dangerous. At times it is laughable to watch how people drive here until you see people who have been hurt in avoidable traffic accidents.

Too harsh.......which part?

The shambles part. Look, I think most people are aware that the introduction of the bus system was a brave attempt to introduce better organised public transport but that the needs of the Sontaew drivers must be catered to also. Hence, full implementation of the system will take many years with embryonic routes such as present forming the early outline. That's not shambolic that sensible poilitical compromise that caters to everyones needs, eventually. giggle.gif

The shambles part. Look, I think most people are aware that the introduction of the bus system was a brave attempt to introduce better organised public transport but that the needs of the Sontaew drivers must be catered to also. Hence, full implementation of the system will take many years with embryonic routes such as present forming the early outline. That's not shambolic that sensible poilitical compromise that caters to everyones needs, eventually. giggle.gif

Fair enough, let's discuss it again after another few years, when buses will be in full swing.

• Like 1