Visa Problems In Vientiane?

I talked to another farang tonight about going to Vientiane for a new visa, just looking for experience, tips, etc. He said he went elsewhere for his visa, and not recently, but a friend of his had problems 2 weeks ago. I don't know what kind of visa the other guy was applying for.

I don't like basing anything on hearsay, but I want to play it safe. I'm leaving in about 2 weeks to get a non-B. Anybody have any recent (within last month or so) experience at Vientiane?

Never used to have any problems getting my 1 year Non B

even in Penang. Since a couple of years I only got 3 months

Non B in Penang, same in KL or Singapore.

Had my Non B refused twice in Vientiane fist time because

"No hape paper like this??" and now (end of June) I forgot my

Por Ngor 50 but I got a double entry Tourist visa (2 X 60)

insted. Advice from Embassy, get new passport have to many

stamps. What do they expect?

Just got back from Kota Bharu, she was friendly, smiled, took

her time. I was friendly, smiled, sat down and come back with

90 days non B.

Non B, so you will be working? I have obtained 4 non B visas in Vientiane, in 3 years, no problem as long as you have all the paperwork. I was refused once, missing a paper from the Min. of Education. They gave me a tourist visa in the interim, until I got the missing document. Last one obtained 3 weeks ago. So No problems.

As per MacWhalen's post, it is too many tourist visas that cause problems. Good luck

Non B, so you will be working? I have obtained 4 non B visas in Vientiane, in 3 years, no problem as long as you have all the paperwork. I was refused once, missing a paper from the Min. of Education. They gave me a tourist visa in the interim, until I got the missing document. Last one obtained 3 weeks ago. So No problems.

As per MacWhalen's post, it is too many tourist visas that cause problems. Good luck

Was that Non B for 90 days or 1year?

• 2 weeks later...

In January i need a new Tourist Visa. For that i plan to go to Vientiane. I have already 4 visas in a row from this embassy. I hear from a visa-run office in Pattaya, that i have a big chance to get the red stamp into my passport. Some experiences?

I've just returned from Vientiane, after a trip to sort out my non-ED visa, without any major problems.

To address the OP though, at least four people were denied their initial visa requests (all non-B and non-O IIRC) while I was sitting waiting for my turn. They were issued tourist visas instead. Of course, I have no idea whether they had the correct paperwork with them, so the problems may have been self-inflicted. It caused a ripple of concern amongst the rest of us non-tourists, but, as I had number 37, I wasn't waiting for long and have no idea if many others had similar problems.

The official dealing with my application initially said (incorrectly, of course) that he couldn't issue my visa without a rent contract, which really just highlights the need for us to be fully aware of the specifics of our application requirements (plus the need to keep smiling politely while refusing to budge in the face of adversity, of course).

(Slightly OT but while I'm here I'll add a note on the process. It was all very well organised and relatively fast. I joined the queue at 08:10 (gate opens 08:30) on Monday morning, had ticket number 37 and was finished by 09:55. I joined the collection queue at 12:45 (gate opens at 13:00) on Tuesday, had ticket 79 and was finished by 13:30. Please note for first-timers - there is absolutely no need to buy anything from the guys selling application forms, etc outside. Forms and photocopy facilities are all available inside).

Edited by Scot Landman

Hello everyone!

I'm heading to Vientiane tomorrow with my six-months-pregnant thai-girlfriend to get another tourist VISA for myself!

I have 6 tourist VISA in my passport: 4 from my European embassy, 2 from the Vientiane embassy.

Also made 3 times the 30-days extensions.

Last time I was in Europe was six month ago, so basically I already got a tourist VISA from Vientiane 3 months ago with a 30-days extension.

My question is as follow: should I scare a VISA refusal? If I get the red stamp, does it prevent future ED-VISA or O-VISA (marriage)? Or does the red stamp only concern tourist VISAs?

------

For the story, my girlfriend and I are trying to get married for a few months now but the process is very very slow and very long, I need to get a document from my country that proves my ability to marry, but once requested it takes up to 8 weeks (2 months!) to get it, and BEFORE we can actually request it I need to provide all kind of documents like a 3-months old (max) birth certificate which I have requested 2 months ago from my hometown already but never got it, so now they will try to send it again to my embassy in Bangkok... Anyway hopefully we'll get through all this, but in the meantime I don't want to leave my girlfriend alone during her first pregnancy and after the birth, and for that I need a tourist VISA!

Perhaps if I feel that the marriage procedure won't make it within the next 3 months I'll register into a school to get an ED student VISA and be able to stay near my child. From what I've heard the school needs a month delay before providing the necessary documents to get the VISA, therefor I can't get it now before my trip to Vientiane tomorrow...

Dawn I hate borders!

Edited by patpat

The good news is that red stamp will not prevent application of a new non immigrant visa later.

The bad news is even a single entry tourist visa may be a problem with that many visas in your passport. I would travel to Savannakhet myself. The reason Vientiane is popular is for issue of two entry tourist visas but for single entry other locations are likely better with your record of visa usage.

The good news is that red stamp will not prevent application of a new non immigrant visa later.

The bad news is even a single entry tourist visa may be a problem with that many visas in your passport. I would travel to Savannakhet myself. The reason Vientiane is popular is for issue of two entry tourist visas but for single entry other locations are likely better with your record of visa usage.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Arggg I've just bought the bus tickets for Vientiane! Should I really change my destination?

Why didn't I get the red stamp the last time I requested a tourist VISA? I would almost prefer to have one because at least you know what to face for the next time, but at least you have the 3 months to change strategy!

Anyway, you're making me seriously scared.. What about the guy standing in the front of the embassy in Vientiane (by the way I didn't see him the last time) which offer same-day passport pickup for a few thousands baths?

Do you think that in case of refusal I could try negotiating with them while pointing at the huge stomac of my girlfriend to make them understand that we both need each other and that our marriage is in process anyway and can't be accelerated because of cumbersom bureaucracy procedures, while the baby isn't waiting?

I don't think you will have a problem getting a visa. You may have several visa's but most are from Europe.

You should apply for a 2 entry visa instead of a single entry just in case you have to stay loner than 90 days.

You will get a visa but you also might get a red stamp but that would only prevent you you from getting a new tourist visa there.

Also having your fiance along who could help explain why you need another visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

I don't think you will have a problem getting a visa. You may have several visa's but most are from Europe.

You should apply for a 2 entry visa instead of a single entry just in case you have to stay loner than 90 days.

You will get a visa but you also might get a red stamp but that would only prevent you you from getting a new tourist visa there.

Also having your fiance along who could help explain why you need another visa.

:)

Yes this is what I thought, in comparaison to alocacoc who have "4 visas in a row" from the Vientiane embassy, while I only have 2 from this embassy (and not in a row).

The only reason I didn't ask for a double-entry VISA 3 months ago when I was there is because I feared a refusal, and that they would less likely to refuse a single-entry VISA. Do you really think that I have good chances of getting a double-entry now, and that it wouldn't increase my chances of getting a refusal? And if a double-entry is refused, I believe I need to stay in Vientiane another day to request a single-entry VISA, while loosing the fees of the double-entry, is that correct?

Thanks a lot!

They would tell you if the 2 entry was being denied when you turn in your application and pay the fee.

I am sure you will not have a problem getting your visa.

Thanks a lot, I'll try that and will definitely keep you posted in a couple of days!

Oh by the way I have another related question, my current visa ends on October 8, does that mean that I need to leave Thailand on the 7th, or can I leave on the 8th?

I'm taking the bus tomorrow evening (7th) and should cross the border in the morning (8th).

I remember when I went to Vientiane for the first time about a year ago I was one day late and had to paid overstay fee, but I can't remember if I left during the last day of my visa or one day later. Probably the later but just wanna make sure :)

It is your permit to stay that counts not visa expiration.

If it your permit to stay that runs out the 8th you should not have any problem (visa expiration would probably be earlier).

Edited by ubonjoe

It is your permit to stay that counts not visa expiration.

If it your permit to stay that runs out the 8th you should not have any problem (visa expiration would probably be earlier).

Yes absolutely I was talking about the permit to stay, not the visa expiration, sorry for the mistake! icon_jap.gif