BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
nattydread

Hand Washing Or Rather The Lack Of It

proper handwashing has the potential to save more lives than any vaccine or medical intervention and is one of the simplest and most cost-effective ways of preventing disease

all cultures have a percentage of people that dont wash their hands particularily after using the toilet mostly because they are lazy rather than ignorant but from my observations in Thailand hand washers seem to thin on the ground

I live in an apatment complex and swim in the pool every day. The swimming pool is right next to the kitchens and restaurant with the toilets adjacent and in full view of the pool,I can see into the washing area of the toilets..I have never once seen a member of the kitchen staff wash their hands after using the toilet

most public toilets i have used never even have soap apart from the likes of the hospital,BigC or Tesco......I see very few people washing their hands after using these toilets

are Thai people taught the importance of washing hands after using the toilet or before preparing food?

• Like 2

yes they are, and ive found them to be very clean,

I think you should include the disclaimer that you are visually impaired or have never watched Thai food service employeed.

As the OP said, you are generally only likely to find soap (and toilet paper) in Tescos and big shopping centres. So how staff in restaurants can do anything other than run their hands under cold water beats me.

I was always taughtnot to pee on my hands

Is that the only thing you use a toilet for?

Ever seen those studies? Small traces of fecal matter are everywhere, particularly places like escalator rails and poles on trains/buses. Enough to make ya sick.

Pee is not the problem. You can drink pee, for the most part in a healthy person it is fine. Even better if you are circumcised. It is the poop that is dangerous.

Probably a better disinfectant than your average soap bar. It's just a bit tricky to refill the dispensers. w00t.gif

Edited by Morakot

Is that the only thing you use a toilet for?

YOu are getting quite personal now. Mind your own business, at least till we are married

Probably a better disinfectant than your average soap bar. It's just a bit tricky to refill the dispensers. w00t.gif

And you can save on salt when preparing the food!

Using the men's room in our office building it is quite shocking to see how few of the Thai men actually do wash their hands - and that includes those having used the bum gun.

At most they will just quickly wet their hands - but only to rearrange their hairdo.

Well, maybe not hand washing, but feet washing seems to be more popular nowadays.

post-155923-0-46425000-1348471437_thumb.