"affirmation Of Freedom To Marry" Document Translation Question

12alh34

Good Day, I undertand that after filling out this form and getting it notorized at the UK embassy in Bangkok, the form must then be translated into Thai. i have ready also that there has been some problems with the translations done being unacceptable. Thus my question: would it be okay to have the document translated before hand correctly and then when the english version is stamped and signed by the embassy officer you then take the document to get registered? Or must the embassy's signature be also translated in to Thai? if so then you would take all documents to a transator knowing that the translation you have is good and they just copy word for word. any thoughts. thanks

You go to your embassy to get the letter. They only stamp the letter off and not any translation. That is simply not their business. Next you go to a translation agency to have it translated. You can use one inside or opposite the Thai Consular Department to have it translated, so they can easily correct things if you fear for mistakes.

The Thai consular department checks the translation and the signature of the embassy offcial, before they stamp it as real. After that you can get married at any amphur in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

If moving to the UK then a translation will be needed, and it's cheaper to have it done in Thailand than the UK.

For all official purposes in the UK a translation by a licensed translation agency, whether in Thailand or the UK, and certified by them as a true translation is sufficient.

However, if applying for a Schengen visa the translation will need to be certified either by the MFA in Bangkok or the Thai embassy in London.

Edited by 7by7