Thailand Expats Versus Expats Elsewhere

DrWho

Singapore and KL expats are mostly on better packages and are generally higher up the company ladder than those in BKK as the cost of living is higher, so it makes sense to keep lower level employees in cheaper postings such as BKK. In Singapore you don't find pensioners and school teachers ( although when I lived in Singapore I knew some freelance school teachers ) as you do in Thailand.

You don know your talking through your bottom dont you ?

As regards Singapore and foreign pensioners, of course there isnt as Singapore doesnt offer a retirement visa, in Asia as far as I am aware the following are the only ones that have a retirement visa

Malaysia

Philippines

Indonesia

Australia

Thailand

Edited by Soutpeel

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Singapore and KL expats are mostly on better packages and are generally higher up the company ladder than those in BKK as the cost of living is higher, so it makes sense to keep lower level employees in cheaper postings such as BKK. In Singapore you don't find pensioners and school teachers ( although when I lived in Singapore I knew some freelance school teachers ) as you do in Thailand.

<deleted> are you on about? I've been in the region two decades and have lived in both countries and know corporate expats in both countries from two decades ago until now.

There maybe some validity in what the OP is saying, lets face it Thailand has large numbers of foreign retiree's, hanger's on and wannbee's where as places like Singapore dont, the vast majority of expats in Singapore, HK etc are working there with reputable companies, therefore there would be a tendancy for there to be more undesirables in Thailand just based on numbers.

Based on my own observations of 10 years here and in comparision with other countries I have lived, worked in, Thailand does seem to have a lot more "damaged" , bitter, resentful, chip on their shoulder type expats floating around than I have seen on other places

You are obviously an expat who has experience of working in a number of regional locations. Your comments are well observed.

Many of my colleagues are based in HK, KL, Seoul, Tokyo, Sing, and Macao. The general consensus is that the man who has been transferred to BKK is the man who has drawn the short straw.

My contract is only for 6 months. After this, I'm back to Sing.

I invested 13 years in Singapore - and now I'm here. Drew the short straw this time, didn't you? Well, never mind, we all cop a ration of shit sometime or other. It could be worse, Iran, Iraq, Saudi, the Sudan, Afghanistan and Libya are marginally worse. Belgium's pretty gross too!

• Like 2

<deleted> are you on about? I've been in the region two decades and have lived in both countries and know corporate expats in both countries from two decades ago until now.

Well if you have lived in the region so long, you would know that numerous MNC's have their regional Asian HO's in Thailand, namely BKK, and satellite offices in Singapore and KL.

Therefore their main corporate structures are sitting in BKK..ie the higher ups on the corporate ladders as you put it and packages between BKK/Singapore/KL are pretty much the same with slight adjustments for accomadation costs in Singapore, because yes it does cost more for accomdatation in Singapore

There maybe some validity in what the OP is saying, lets face it Thailand has large numbers of foreign retiree's, hanger's on and wannbee's where as places like Singapore dont, the vast majority of expats in Singapore, HK etc are working there with reputable companies, therefore there would be a tendancy for there to be more undesirables in Thailand just based on numbers.

Based on my own observations of 10 years here and in comparision with other countries I have lived, worked in, Thailand does seem to have a lot more "damaged" , bitter, resentful, chip on their shoulder type expats floating around than I have seen on other places

You are obviously an expat who has experience of working in a number of regional locations. Your comments are well observed.

Many of my colleagues are based in HK, KL, Seoul, Tokyo, Sing, and Macao. The general consensus is that the man who has been transferred to BKK is the man who has drawn the short straw.

I invested 13 years in Singapore - and now I'm here. Drew the short straw this time, didn't you? Well, never mind, we all cop a ration of shit sometime or other. It could be worse, Iran, Iraq, Saudi, the Sudan, Afghanistan and Libya are marginally worse. Belgium's pretty gross too!

and g*d help him if he gets posted in Brussels...biggrin.png

Well, I'm not bitter or resentful, but proudly damaged. Maybe the cost of living attracts the more transparent expats. I have never found a tremendous difference in rich v poor, except the rich is better at hiding their true nature. Food for thought or ammunition for a good bash??

Ever tried Manila?!!

Well if you have lived in the region so long, you would know that numerous MNC's have their regional Asian HO's in Thailand, namely BKK, and satellite offices in Singapore and KL.

Therefore their main corporate structures are sitting in BKK..ie the higher ups on the corporate ladders as you put it and packages between BKK/Singapore/KL are pretty much the same with slight adjustments for accomadation costs in Singapore, because yes it does cost more for accomdatation in Singapore

Yes, you are right. If anything, the tangible benefits of being here in BKK are better than in other regional locations. We have a nice house in a gated community. Our daughters attend an international school that is within the same complex (or MOO BARN). The maid comes every other day (at our request), and the gardeners/swimming pool men come once a week.

Our neighbors are mostly Japanese, and they are extremely pleasant and polite.

The standing joke that to be assigned to BKK represents having "drawn the short straw" stems from Thailand's reputation for sleaze and crime.

An assignment here does not by any means indicate a reduction in salary and associated benefits. I apologize for not having made this point clear earlier.

Edited by DrWho

Yes, you are right. If anything, the tangible benefits of being here in BKK are better than in other regional locations. We have a nice house in a gated community. Our daughters attend an international school that is within the same complex (or MOO BARN). The maid comes every other day (at our request), and the gardeners/swimming pool men come once a week.

Our neighbors are mostly Japanese, and they are extremely pleasant and polite.

The standing joke that to be assigned to BKK represents having "drawn the short straw" stems from Thailand's reputation for sleaze and crime.

An assignment here does not by any means indicate a reduction in salary and associated benefits. I apologize for not having this point clear earlier.

Hi there, I recognize you from Sammyboyforum. How's it going bro?

• Like 1

And of course all of these expats from singapore and hk will end up in Thailand like other strugglring scums

sent from-would like to know

expats in sing make much more money. to most people lots of cash makes you eccentric, rather then a scumbag.

...but either way your still a sleaze.

expats in sing make much more money. to most people lots of cash makes you eccentric, rather then a scumbag.

...but either way your still a sleaze.

Where are you not a sleaze?

My take on the location issue is that corporate ex-pats tend to prefer being based in Singapore, Hong Kong or KL but to have their holidays and, ahem, meetings, seminars and training courses in Bangkok. From a general ex-pat viewpoint I reckon that if there was a class structure of Asian locations, Singapore and Hong Kong would be in the upper classes whilst Bangkok would be in the working class - KL probably in the middle class. And I say these things having been previously based in all the locations mentioned but now being retired in Chiang Mai (the less expensive option).

Ever tried Manila?!!

Actually, yes. I was there in 1986, only for 6 months though, and strictly for R&R after the rigours of Singapore. I especially remember the delights of MH del Pilar and Marbini, and a good Catholic lass called Malinao, who could do quite extraordinary things. I also did some photography in Malacanang palace the day after Marcos was extracted. Happy days. Then there were happy days in Angeles and also Puerto Galera. Those days, I must say, were much more to my liking than any of those ME countries. Or Belgium.

But each to his own, I say......each to his own.

In my firm Manila is the shortest straw, most last 1 month and either quit or beg to come back to Tokyo/SIN/HK. The ones posted in BKK end up being in-house tour guides for the rest of the firm. You have to be very very careful suggesting things to do in BKK. I know one guy who ruined his career being posted in BKK and his big mouth.

In my firm Manila is the shortest straw, most last 1 month and either quit or beg to come back to Tokyo/SIN/HK. The ones posted in BKK end up being in-house tour guides for the rest of the firm. You have to be very very careful suggesting things to do in BKK. I know one guy who ruined his career being posted in BKK and his big mouth.

Well you do have to realize where the tourists are coming from don't ya! They might be British. Ix nay on the x ay.

That's interesting. What is it about Manila that's so bad? I've not been there, but I've heard terrible feedback.

I think I can understand the rest of your post. My wife and I have a Thai chauffeur. We are quite certain that he has been told where he can and can't take us. He won't take us to that market place PATPONG. We think it's because there are too many scams there.

A quick thank you to everyone for replying.

It's both surprising and interesting to note that there are so many other expats on this forum who have experience of working in East and South East Asia.

I look forward to sharing ideas, thoughts and feedback with all of you in the near future.

Ask your Chauffeur to take you to Poseidon when on your own, I'm sure it will change your mind about BKK tongue.png

Ask your Chauffeur to take you to Poseidon when on your own, I'm sure it will change your mind about BKK tongue.png

Do they let people from Singapore in?

anyone with cash is welcome

As regards Singapore and foreign pensioners, of course there isnt as Singapore doesnt offer a retirement visa, in Asia as far as I am aware the following are the only ones that have a retirement visa

Malaysia

Philippines

Indonesia

Australia

Thailand

Scratch Australian retirement visa (unless you had one before) you need big bucks for a investment visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/retirement/410/

This visa is designed for retirees and their partner who want to spend some of their retirement years in Australia.

Important: This visa is not available to new or first-time visa applicants other than new partners of existing or former Retirement visa holders. The recommended visa for new or first time applicants considering spending a period of their retirement in Australia is the Investor Retirement Visa (subclass 405).

See: Investor Retirement Visa (Subclass 405)

Former Retirement visa (subclass 410) holders and their partners who have been granted any other substantive visa, including Visitor visas and Electronic Travel Authorities, are not able to reapply for this visa.

Since 1 July 2009, Retirement visa holders are able to apply for a visa which is valid for 10 years and do not have any restrictions on the hours that they are able to work.

I don't think Thailand's true business expat population is much different than Singapore/Hong Kong. The difference in Thailand is that you have a bunch more farang retirees/pensioners, backpackers, perpetual tourists, slummers, telfers, bar owners/pimps, hustlers, online ebayers/small biz, "thai gf has a cafe/hair dresser/market stall that i paid for and survive off of" type of people. Why? Because Thailand has a much lower cost of living.

These other countries also have higher standards for their teachers whereas in Thailand you just need to be white and have a pulse.

They also have less homeless people and less politicians murdering people with uzi machine guns.

smile.png

Edited by farang000999
  • Like 2