No Relief In Sight For Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang Airport Immigration Staff

webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that when anyone wants to exaggerate the amount of time spent in an immigration queue it is always 2 hours?

i stood in line for passport contron 2 hours,
The entry ques at Suvarabhumi immigration yesterday evening were que'd right down past the last minute duty free stands, worst I have ever seen it. For those without a fast track card that must have been a 2hr+ wait

Ridiculous

At a busy time it might stretch out to 30 minutes or so - but every post recently complaining about immigration (this & other threads) somehow manage to come up with a 2 hour waiting time.

I used to think this too. We fly in and out of Thailand 4 or 5 times a year and have never waited more than half an hour - until last month. I could see the size of the queue so I looked at the time (we had a onward flight to CM). We were there there for 2 hours and 8 minutes, which I rounded DOWN to 2 hours. As I noted in a post at the time, because of pure boredom, I counted and calculated 45% of windows open. That means 55% of the chairs didn't have a bum on the seat. Connection was Air Asia, so it didn't matter anyway as they're hardly ever on time, but like you, I didn't believe people saying this kind of thing until it finally happened to me.

i stood in line for passport contron 2 hours,as the cue made its way to the officer,a familly of 5 russians stood in front of me,when thier turn came,they appeared stunned,as they strugggled to find a pen and then began to fill in all five entry cards,sometimes the ignorance of the traveler is matched,only by thier arrongance....

Hope the 5 Russians could spell!

i stood in line for passport contron 2 hours,as the cue made its way to the officer,a familly of 5 russians stood in front of me,when thier turn came,they appeared stunned,as they strugggled to find a pen and then began to fill in all five entry cards,sometimes the ignorance of the traveler is matched,only by thier arrongance....

Hope the 5 Russians could spell!

Hardly helpful. Not everyone uses English as their first language.....Post still makes perfect sense and is entirely understandable.

• Like 1

In each case the officer has to bring the line to a halt and review the case with a superior.

And herein lies the problem. If someone shows up and there are anything other than very minor errors (such as forgetting to date or sign the immigration form), the individual should be removed from the line and sent to a side office where he/she can wait their turn to be dealt with by immigration officials. This way the line is not held up by those who have issues.

Also, a single line that allows the next person in line to go to the first available immigration officer would also help speed things up. No more guessing which line is going to move the fastest.

But I suppose that this would be asking too much of Thai authorities.

• Like 1

I used to think this too. We fly in and out of Thailand 4 or 5 times a year and have never waited more than half an hour - until last month. I could see the size of the queue so I looked at the time (we had a onward flight to CM). We were there there for 2 hours and 8 minutes, which I rounded DOWN to 2 hours. As I noted in a post at the time, because of pure boredom, I counted and calculated 45% of windows open. That means 55% of the chairs didn't have a bum on the seat. Connection was Air Asia, so it didn't matter anyway as they're hardly ever on time, but like you, I didn't believe people saying this kind of thing until it finally happened to me.

Fair enough Konini. Your explanation sounds completely credible. Amazing, but at least you elaborated.

A few years ago arrived behind a 747 load of Chinese tourist none spoke English or wrote it. They hadn't filled out their cards arriving at immigration backing up the line to over an hour.

They should have all been turned away until their cards were correctly filled in ! i.e. sent to the back of the qeue.

Why not just have an idiot queue?

When a passenger causes an unnecessary delay send them to that line and let everyone else move on.

• Like 1

One way of getting around this is planning your time of arrival.

Many flights come in to BKK at 10.:30PM. Just remember, if you have only 5 planes arriving at the same time it can mean up 1,500 people to clear customs. If some of the planes are the A380, then you can easily make that number go up to 2,000.

When I used to come to Thailand, before becoming an ex pat, I would pick an airline that arrived in the morning. I usually cleared customs in 10 minutes as there were more customs officials than passengers!

Why is it that when anyone wants to exaggerate the amount of time spent in an immigration queue it is always 2 hours?

The entry ques at Suvarabhumi immigration yesterday evening were que'd right down past the last minute duty free stands, worst I have ever seen it. For those without a fast track card that must have been a 2hr+ wait

Ridiculous

At a busy time it might stretch out to 30 minutes or so - but every post recently complaining about immigration (this & other threads) somehow manage to come up with a 2 hour waiting time.

I have come in twice in the last month and have spent 1:38 minutes and 2:17 minutes in the line. Both times were on a Friday evening and immigration officers were posted at less than half of the stations available. Edited by drdoom6996

Why check people leaving?

Ummmmm, Let's have a think..... OH ! maybe they have committed crimes here, and trying to escape, or Interpol has updated outstanding Warrants.

They should do what they do in Canada or the US, check those passports at the ticket counter. Simple, yes?

That would then pass on the resposibilty of apprehending offenders to the check-in staff. Once they have gone through to immigration the staff there are more likely to be able to arrest someone...such as those who are on bail and not allowed to leave the country. Those who are trying to flee who have an outstanding arrest warrant for example.

On another note, if you travel to Phnom Penh your fingerprints are checked going in and out. Are they connected to an international agency as well?

A few years ago arrived behind a 747 load of Chinese tourist none spoke English or wrote it. They hadn't filled out their cards arriving at immigration backing up the line to over an hour.

This is very true. Though I hate to generalize about a nation/cultural group, I have to agree that the Chinese are the rudest, most inconsiderate people on the planet...and NOW they have MONEY! You neglected to mention how they brazenly cut into immigration lines...one has to be alert and use one's elbows judiciously to avoid being pushed back by them.

Unfortunately, within 50 years they will--quite literally--rule the world. We are doomed.

An unnecessary fright, the Chinese will eventually go back to what they were before, an inward looking people.

They are indeed very much brazen, uncouth, inconsiderate, and also the inventors of squeeze.

And that will be their downfall.

More and more (western) countries are considering their trade agreements with China, which in fact are very much onesided.

Which does not spell good things for China.

China feels the pressure and tries to be the biggest player in Asia.

And there discovers that Chinese are not generally loved.

Also, inside China, unrest is growing.

The only thing keeping things more or less under control is the CP.

If that influence will disappear, presumably China will probably fall apart.

• Like 2

In each case the officer has to bring the line to a halt and review the case with a superior.

And herein lies the problem. If someone shows up and there are anything other than very minor errors (such as forgetting to date or sign the immigration form), the individual should be removed from the line and sent to a side office where he/she can wait their turn to be dealt with by immigration officials. This way the line is not held up by those who have issues.

Also, a single line that allows the next person in line to go to the first available immigration officer would also help speed things up. No more guessing which line is going to move the fastest.

But I suppose that this would be asking too much of Thai authorities.

They were doing that a couple of weeks ago.

It's not just Thailand, many countries, including ultra-modern hi-tech Singapore, still have landing cards.

But in this day and age when all passports are scanned and information readily available, I do wonder why?

Though which other countries make their own citizens fill out these cards? Genuine question, I don't know.

Duty Free Shops? I think they mean shop. I'd wager that the corrupt KP has once again secured a monopoly.

I think you'll find that KP is a company that has the concession to run a number of retail outlets. Surely the corruption comes from the people within AOT, the people who issue concessions at the airport.

Different shops, one controlling company. Only one supplier of Duty Free goods. Prices are hardly competitive.

The corruption comes from both sides.

They should have all been turned away until their cards were correctly filled in ! i.e. sent to the back of the qeue.

Not everyone is an experienced traveler such as you, a mighty globetrotting sailor! I took my Thai in laws on a trip to Malaysia which was the first time ever for them to travel abroad and yes they were quite puzzled by all the procedures and felt genuinely lost (they are 60 plus). According to your logic, the should be send back in the line!

Edited by KireB

This is very true. Though I hate to generalize about a nation/cultural group, I have to agree that the Chinese are the rudest, most inconsiderate people on the planet...and NOW they have MONEY! You neglected to mention how they brazenly cut into immigration lines...one has to be alert and use one's elbows judiciously to avoid being pushed back by them.

Unfortunately, within 50 years they will--quite literally--rule the world. We are doomed.

An unnecessary fright, the Chinese will eventually go back to what they were before, an inward looking people.

They are indeed very much brazen, uncouth, inconsiderate, and also the inventors of squeeze.

And that will be their downfall.

More and more (western) countries are considering their trade agreements with China, which in fact are very much onesided.

Which does not spell good things for China.

China feels the pressure and tries to be the biggest player in Asia.

And there discovers that Chinese are not generally loved.

Also, inside China, unrest is growing.

The only thing keeping things more or less under control is the CP.

If that influence will disappear, presumably China will probably fall apart.

If you wish to know somebody, look at their friends.

North Korea

Burma (waning)

Albania (waned)

Various tinpot sub-Saharan kleptocracies

Their "win every encounter" (or retreat and sulk) philosophy may be a short-term winner but will not work for them in the long term. If the cycle holds, they will put up the shutters again in about 20 years and there'll be no overseas travel for mainland Chinese and the queues at Suwannaphum will recede. See how I beautifully brought that back on topic there at the end.

• Like 1

I recently visited Canada and the US and passport wasn't checked when leaving the country.

Yes this is true, many immigrants to Canada once they arrive... do not leave ..eg new arrivals share benefits/ Medical ID's of registered family members with same last name and of course the brother/sister immigrants pose a registered patient. Multiply this flaw in our Medical/Welfare system and Canada is a haven for such acts! Field works are not checked for passport entries or ID, they just show up at berry fields (now owned by immigrants) and their labor cost are none...some apply for UIC and collect benefits during the winter months. Canada has to thank the late Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau for opening up the country to immigrants and causing our health care system to be overloaded ermm.gif . As for me I unplug from Canada's system and spent most of my free time here in Thailand. Friends come and get low cost dental (I got a quote in Canada for $3500 work and here in Bkk $299). My close friend Don is coming over for surgery this Dec... as it is a TWO year waiting list for a 1hr surgery in Vancouver on his foot! Canada the highest STANDARD of LIVING.coffee1.gif .wow great words...my standard of living..well..Keep Life Simple..wai.gif . have ladies, great western/Thai homemade meals, with daily visits at sports club and in meeting fellow members with similar attitude towards life. Now that is a high standard of life! Thanks to ThaiVisa.com to allow me to explain the faults in Canadian immigration..sorry Canada the word is out..come to Canada..now!

Have a great day and keep well thumbsup.gif Rotor Ron

Shame the ' old style ' airline ticket is rarely used because it's about the same size as an immigration landing card. The airline issueing the ticket could pre-print a landing card at the time of issue -- or is that too simple ?

I've often thought the same - they do this when you get a minibus to/from Malaysia, all you do is sign it. First time I was a bit weary, why is the driver taking my passport somewhere, but he took everyone else's so it must be OK. Came back a few minutes later with a pile of printed arrival cards, name, DoB, passport number/expiry etc, sign and go.

Never had that but the drivers often have arrival cards. I usually have a couple of spare including Malaysia which I fill in the previous evening.

I recently visited Canada and the US and passport wasn't checked when leaving the country.

In North America, the airlines file passenger lists with the respective governments. Most Canadian passengers don't know it, but their information is filed with US Homeland Security because any flights that cross through US airspace are obliged to do so. A little known fact is that the same applies for anyone flying through Canadian airspace. And you know who has access to the data? The UK, Australia and New Zealand. As Thailand doesn't have the relationships or ability to track people at the same level as some countries, it still has to check passports to see who is coming and going and who has been a naughty overstayer. Believe it or not, the exit checks do catch some nasty people. Is it cost effective? I don't know.

• Like 1

Why check people leaving?

Ummmmm, Let's have a think..... OH ! maybe they have committed crimes here, and trying to escape, or Interpol has updated outstanding Warrants.

They should do what they do in Canada or the US, check those passports at the ticket counter. Simple, yes?

Sounds good I can see it now all the airlines clamoring to take over the responsibility of overstays. Warrants out for your arrest both in and out of the country.

I suppose you think they will pay big bucks for this honor.clap2.gif

Plus the chanse to increase the time you spend checking it.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If you want to avoid the delays fly business or first and you get in the fast track lanes both in and out. Or if you are still working and are a citizen of one of the APEC countries (basically those round the Pacific rim including SE and East Asia, Eastern Pacific (US, Canada, Central and South America, AUS and NZ ) you can get an APEC Business traveller card which includes a visa for those countries where you may need one (no need for a visa application every time) and also fast track at most airports even traveling economy class. The card costs $A200 (not sure about other countries) for 3 years but you can save by not having to pay visa fees.You get 90 days in Thailand on arrival. In the US and Canada you can get in fast tracks but still have to go through the on line and card process. The place I use the card most is my own country, Australia, where the queues can be as bad as anywhere and there are no "cute" immigration staff!

bra - I just started another thread on the Don Mueang forum actually regarding the APEC card a friend uses.

Does anyone know if Don Mueang will have a fast track immigration section when they go to full operation next week?

ie fast track/diplomats/APEC dedicated channel?

Fair enough Konini. Your explanation sounds completely credible. Amazing, but at least you elaborated.

It happened to him once in how many times and now he is joining the line up of people that post like it was the normal experience.

Thai Visa the land of the sheep looking for a leader. Ignore a article and complain about the reasons that bring about the conditions that make it passable for the worse to happen. Over 50 comments and most of them negative and a complete disregard for the article. I doubt more than 5 of them read the article.

Baa Baa Baa

Edited by hellodolly

It is called incompetence and it is driven by the Royalist elite who like to turn immigration officers in control freaks. Passengers that want to flee the country while they have an outstanding warrant can charter a boat or even an private plane at a small airfield, they could go to numerous places where they could buy a replacement passport and there is always a kind officer that want to make ends meet and take an acceptable amount to stamp it. If high value targets like the sons of ministers and corrupted kamnans and ministers that are sentenced to long prison terms, brothers of former prime ministers like that of Chuan and bankers can disappear, so can anyone with half a brain. That leaves immigration with either morons or people that are naive and simply made a small mistake.

If Garuda can handle the immigration in an airplane or in an airport launch so should Thai immigration be. There are just a hand of countries that show a third world mentality when it comes to waiting. England and the US are two others. Thailand could do so much better that those countries.

Immigration is essentially bogged down - no mater if at Chaeng Wattana, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Krabi or the BKK airports. The computers are outdated, (extremely) slow, the staff rarely smile (so much for the land of smiles) and to boot, the exits are blocked, leaving only a few doors open to get out and never enough staff on the check points to assess and stamp in arrivals or departure. If the amount of travellers have increased then every check point needs to be manned, and if there are not enough, great!!! - more jobs for Thai's. You have the labour, you just don't have intelligent management.

• Like 1

Ridiculous

Everyone's just making it up purely so you have something to disagree with, don't worry ;) The international and local media coverage about the problems is all just made up for your benefit and to disagree with your personal experience too..

As I said, it was by far the worst I'd ever seen it, totally solid que'd back right down past the last minute duty free stalls.. Anyone thinking it would take 30 minutes to pass from there is dreaming, likely more than 3hrs, never mind 2.

Couldn't agree more. Had 2 Chinese sat aside me on a flight to Singapore last year. Both of them where eating noodles and burping aloud ...

That was the reason why I stopped flying EVA Air, even though it was very convenient and a reasonably priced service. But the Co-Travellers were just disgusting.