Application For Vias At Hong Kong Royal Thai Consulate

Regarding the application form for a Non Immigrant Visa O type based on marriage I have one question regarding the purpose of visit (See below):

Plan is as follows. I am currently employed here in Hong Kong till the end of November 2012. I will fly to Thailand on the 7 December 2012 with my spouse (Thai national).

Once in Thailand I will be setting up a Ltd Company but planned to arrive on a O Visa based on marriage and then apply for an extention of stay. WP to be followed up later.

The form states "Purpose of visit to Thailand" There is a check box for "Others" which I have checked but what do I need to specify here please? Do I just insert "To reside in Thailand with my spouse" or something like that?

Whilst applying for the visa I will STILL be employed in HK and I will finish my job prior to flying to Thailand so if I put to reside in Thailand with my spouse will that cause a problem as they will wonder why I want to live in Thailand if I am still employed whilst applying for the visa.

Hope you understand my point.

Thanks in advance.

To live with your wife is what I would suggest. If they ask questions tell them you are moving to Thailand after you finish working in HK.

I would wait until late November to apply for the visa. Normally you pick-up passport the next day after making the application.

Edited by ubonjoe

To live with your wife is what I would suggest. If they ask questions tell them you are moving to Thailand after you finish working in HK.

I would wait until late November to apply for the visa. Normally you pick-up passport the next day after making the application.

Thanks ubonjoe.

Like Lopburi, I would also use "visit", for the simple reason that I have taken the habit of talking to bureaucrats in their own language, in this case the non-O visa being for the purpose of travelling to Thailand to "visit spouse", whereas an extension of stay – which the OP will be applying for later – is for the reason of "living with spouse". I'm quite confident, though, that it makes no difference what terminology you use, except perhaps if you happen to deal with a new consular or immigration officer fresh out of the training course, who has not yet seen many of the variations being used by applicants.

• Like 1

Like Lopburi, I would also use "visit", for the simple reason that I have taken the habit of talking to bureaucrats in their own language, in this case the non-O visa being for the purpose of travelling to Thailand to "visit spouse", whereas an extension of stay – which the OP will be applying for later – is for the reason of "living with spouse". I'm quite confident, though, that it makes no difference what terminology you use, except perhaps if you happen to deal with a new consular or immigration officer fresh out of the training course, who has not yet seen many of the variations being used by applicants.

Thanks for the feedback Maestro and Lopburi.

The only helpful comments I can provide for your situation are comments about the staff at the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong, as I received a tourist visa there last month (August) whilst still working in Hong Kong. I'm not working now that I'm in Thailand.

The staff were older (50 years or so ?) except for one woman at the lobby entrance on the right after you exit the lift who was likely in her late 20's. I had no questions asked and received my 60 day single entry tourist visa the next day. Note that multiple entry tourist visas are not possible at the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong as I applied for a multiple entry tourist visa and was told that only single entry tourist visas were issued in Hong Kong.

I hope that this info. is of some help to you. wai.gif

The only helpful comments I can provide for your situation are comments about the staff at the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong, as I received a tourist visa there last month (August) whilst still working in Hong Kong. I'm not working now that I'm in Thailand.

The staff were older (50 years or so ?) except for one woman at the lobby entrance on the right after you exit the lift who was likely in her late 20's. I had no questions asked and received my 60 day single entry tourist visa the next day. Note that multiple entry tourist visas are not possible at the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong as I applied for a multiple entry tourist visa and was told that only single entry tourist visas were issued in Hong Kong.

Cheers Microwave. Appreciate you passing this on.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers Microwave. Appreciate you passing this on.

Looking at some more sound advise here guys......Would it be more beneficial for me to apply for a Non B Visa OR an O Visa based on marriage to a Thai?

The main issue I see is If I apply for a Non B I do not have any supporting paperwork as the company is not yet registered in Thailand. If however the company is registered before I arrive can I apply for the B Visa but there will still be documentaion missing I assume due to the amount of time the company has been formed.

I think the non-O will be more beneficial in the end. But for the visa itself it doesn't really matter.

On both you can extend either based on marriage or based on employment. But in your case, you will not get an extension of stay based on your employment/company as it will be a new company and can't provide the required tax-documents over the last year. You would need to do 90 day border runs. But will have no problem extending your stay based on your Thai wife and getting a work permit to work.

I think the non-O will be more beneficial in the end. But for the visa itself it doesn't really matter.

On both you can extend either based on marriage or based on employment. But in your case, you will not get an extension of stay based on your employment/company as it will be a new company and can't provide the required tax-documents over the last year. You would need to do 90 day border runs. But will have no problem extending your stay based on your Thai wife and getting a work permit to work.

Thanks Mario2008. Can I apply for the WP on my O Visa based on marriage once I arrive or do I have to wait and get the extention of stay to be approved?

• 3 weeks later...

I just went to the HK thai consulate. My request to get a tourist visa was denied when they saw that my 2 year passeport was already filled with thai tourist visas (usualy got from Vientiane, hanoi or jakarta without any hassles). "what do you do in Thailand?".."i travel, madame".."no no, no..no more tourist visa for you..". I could feel that wouldn't be as smooth as some other places when the mid age french couple before had to answer why they were requesting a tourist visa and who they were going to visit there..

Good that i like HK..and i stated missing Vientiane.

Good luck for all.

Update regarding my 'O' Type Visa application based on marriage to a Thai national.

I Got my 'O' Type Visa based on marriage today as planned. HK will not issue multi-entry 'O' Type visa though, only single. Did not have to show any financials either. The lady who dealt with me was very polite and nice.

Paperwork submitted was as follows:

Passport original with copy of main page

One application form (Completed in English) with passport size photo

One copy of Marriage Certificate

One copy of spouse's Thai house registration

One copy of spouse's passport page

One copy of my HK ID Card

HK$600 IN cash

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

I am ready to apply for my extension of stay based on Marriage next week as my current single entry 3 month Non O is stamped until the 6th March 2013.

I am currently on a long term rental agreement for my apartment and have the rental agreement to show immigration but I was informed today I need a signed copy of the landlord's ID card. Is this correct as I have not heard or seen this before?

Cheers

That is not normally a requirement but need to know your immigration office for feedback on specific location. There is a requirement for landlord to report your presence to immigration so if not done there could be an issue.

That is not normally a requirement but need to know your immigration office for feedback on specific location. There is a requirement for landlord to report your presence to immigration so if not done there could be an issue.

I will be using the Department of Immigration, Government Complex at Chaeng Wattana. I will check with the landlord as to whether they have actually reported us staying.

I do not recall seeing any such request reported from Bangkok Immigration.

Thanks lopburi3. This was from a representative of a company in Bangkok who deal with WP, Ext of stay etc. I know the person so was just asking for the upto date list of requirements and the ID card part was mentioned hence my surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not recall seeing any such request reported from Bangkok Immigration.

Thanks lopburi3. This was from a representative of a company in Bangkok who deal with WP, Ext of stay etc. I know the person so was just asking for the upto date list of requirements and the ID card part was mentioned hence my surprise.

Just for the record and update Lopburi3 I went to Immigration today in Bkk to apply for my ext of stay based on marriage and I was not asked for the ID card copy of the landlord. In fact the whole process only took 40 mins including interview with wife. Very smooth and the immigration officer was very good.

• 3 weeks later...

I've received a multi-entry O from HK in the past, so they definitely did them previously (although I do have an HK ID card).

Issue I ran into last year (ended up getting my O from London instead) was that they wanted my wife's bank statements rather than mine as she was my "sponsor". (which is a bit nonsensical given I'm the one that earns money - in Hong Kong - hence the ID card...). I ended up going to London before my next trip back to HK, and there's never any issues with showing bank statements there. (not even my own, let alone my wifes)

Edited by bkk_mike