Smoking Ham

baan_yangyai

If you google it you'll endup with lots of suggestions, also consider the type of smoking. Some smoking is just that, you then cook the bacon and enjoy. Another type of smoking is where it is so heavily smoked, you don't cook it as it's already cooked by the smoking. There are many countries in Europe that do this.

I would imaging that smoking just for yourself wouldn't be possible, let us know if it is, I'd be interested.

If you google it you'll endup with lots of suggestions, also consider the type of smoking. Some smoking is just that, you then cook the bacon and enjoy. Another type of smoking is where it is so heavily smoked, you don't cook it as it's already cooked by the smoking. There are many countries in Europe that do this.

I would imaging that smoking just for yourself wouldn't be possible, let us know if it is, I'd be interested.

well suegha senior member and expert on many things, what a load of cobblers!! there are complete smoker kits out there readily available on the market , in sizes from 1kg to 30 kg smoking capacity for home use, should imagine smokers are available in some of the larger fishing tackle shops in Bkk, if not they are definitely available on the net,many sportfisherman in Australia and europe cure and smoke their own fish and game,in europe it is more common practise, because lots of the older houses have a smoking space built into the chimney ,usually upstairs in the attic,Nignoy

well suegha senior member and expert on many things, what a load of cobblers!! there are complete smoker kits out there readily available on the market , in sizes from 1kg to 30 kg smoking capacity for home use, should imagine smokers are available in some of the larger fishing tackle shops in Bkk, if not they are definitely available on the net,many sportfisherman in Australia and europe cure and smoke their own fish and game,in europe it is more common practise, because lots of the older houses have a smoking space built into the chimney ,usually upstairs in the attic,Nignoy

Well Nignoy, thanks for the uncalled for abuse. You didn't read my post! I said 'I would imagine that smoking just for yourself wouldn't be possible, let us know if it is, I'd be interested.' You replied that it is and I'm interested! Thanks again for your uncalled for angst. You must be a very angry person! Have you tried decaf?

Well Nignoy, thanks for the uncalled for abuse. You didn't read my post! I said 'I would imagine that smoking just for yourself wouldn't be possible, let us know if it is, I'd be interested.' You replied that it is and I'm interested! Thanks again for your uncalled for angst. You must be a very angry person! Have you tried decaf?

as I explained in my reply to your email, sorry if I ruffled your feathers, as I also explained family sized smokers are readily available for sale, also instructional literature.By the way what has Angst to do with anger!! angst is the german word for fright, it comes from the german verb zum Angstigen , which means to frighten, but back to smokers , you should be able to purchase a family sized one at reputable angling store in UK, once again no offence meant, nignoy

as I explained in my reply to your email, sorry if I ruffled your feathers, as I also explained family sized smokers are readily available for sale, also instructional literature.By the way what has Angst to do with anger!! angst is the german word for fright, it comes from the german verb zum Angstigen , which means to frighten, but back to smokers , you should be able to purchase a family sized one at reputable angling store in UK, once again no offence meant, nignoy

So, he will have to fly to the UK to get his smoker then? I thought the OP was in nakorn ratchasima. :o

So, he will have to fly to the UK to get his smoker then? I thought the OP was in nakorn ratchasima. :o

No, it's me who's in the UK, not the original poster...

Message to NIGNOY, Angst as a noun means anxiety or dread, nothing to do with the original German which does indeed mean 'fear'.

So a person full of Angst (anxiety) may manifest anger and outbursts that others may take as errant!

However, I did finish with a joke - have you tried decaf?

Hello.

Has anyone ever tried smoking their own joint of ham? I have not seen anything mentioned in this forum about smoking ham, how to actually do it. Any su ggestions appreciated :o

I have a friend who smokes meat regularly - usually ribs. He uses coconut husk to smoke with. It works well, but it's not really suitable for stuff like kippers. It's used for hot smoking I think.

He got a local welder to build a smoker. It has 2 chambers - a large and a small one, the husk goes at the bottom of the small one - which is perforated with a BBQ under. The charcoal is v close to the coconut. The smoke goes up into the other chamber - which has a small chimney.

I hope this helps. I think you would be cheaper getting someone here to make one - there's not much to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Has anyone ever tried smoking their own joint of ham? I have not seen anything mentioned in this forum about smoking ham, how to actually do it. Any su ggestions appreciated :o

I have a friend who smokes meat regularly - usually ribs. He uses coconut husk to smoke with. It works well, but it's not really suitable for stuff like kippers. It's used for hot smoking I think.

He got a local welder to build a smoker. It has 2 chambers - a large and a small one, the husk goes at the bottom of the small one - which is perforated with a BBQ under. The charcoal is v close to the coconut. The smoke goes up into the other chamber - which has a small chimney.

I hope this helps. I think you would be cheaper getting someone here to make one - there's not much to it.

Hello, Well being from Texas and not having hams and Turkeys,Ribs and Chicken smoked was a drag so...Acquire a 55 gal drum stand it upright cut tht the top out and put two grills in it the fireboxin the bottom or coals on the next elevation ..the charcoal holder or wood. The meat was smoked with coal which can be soaked in whiskey abnd the wood or dry wood can be damp also. Lemon grass can also be used for the smoke but hardwood chips that have been soaked and added to the coals make a nice smoke. Pork can be marinated with beer also as it cooks. To each his own . This little project was done at a local village welders with a convenience clean out door included and a pretty big wash basin(aluminum) for the cover. Have fun!!!!!!!!