Thai Wife Uses English Slang

Issam rider

It has been brought to my attention that my wife has started to speak the same as me using phrases such as Am as happy as Larry , I'll go t foot off the stairs , are you courting , do one , its up the ginnel etc in a semi Lancastrian accent wondering if you guys have noticed similar traits

• Like 2

the wife living with me in australia, has learned a lot of local slang, she mainly has learnt it from her friends at work, some of it less than polite, at first i had to explain to her about how impolite or not the slang was.

i always smile though, when she is describing something which is broken or will not work as "b*ggered"

Lol she has also developed a sarcastic sharp sence of humour like a Peter Kay put down 2 recent ones while out with friends in the uk I am not standing next to you you make me look fat , wife replies I don't make you look fat , you are cutting but funny

Also on the same night another similar snipe was thrown her direction were she replied its not my fault I haven't got an arse like a Bombay money lender funny as

• Like 1

I knew a German lady in the states that had worked on a US army base in Germany.The first words in english she learned were gdam son of a btch. She thought that's what you said when greeting someone.Said she got alot of funny looks from officers when passing by them.

She did pick some stuff up from me and friends when we were at university, but then she met my parents for the first time and announced during dinner " I'm going for a p*** ". not realising it was rude. The looks she got from everyone seems to have stopped her copying anything I say again.

• Like 1

the wife living with me in australia, has learned a lot of local slang, she mainly has learnt it from her friends at work, some of it less than polite, at first i had to explain to her about how impolite or not the slang was.

i always smile though, when she is describing something which is broken or will not work as "b*ggered"

Sounds similar to what I went through, with my wife, here in Australia.

Drove home from work one day and ask what the "two fingers and the F%#k you" was all about.

Asked her what her reply was and she said " I do the same"

Love hearing her trying to say "As snug as a bug in a rug". After 13 years, she still can't get her tongue round it.

Can she actually say the Rs or does it come out as "am happy as lally"?

Have not heard her try that one but, I did have to pull her up, when I heard her say "As happy as a pig in Sh#t"

Does not take long when working in a warehouse.

• Like 1

My Italian history teacher in school thought the correct word for telling a lie was "bullshit". You can imagine the looks on our faces when she used itw00t.gif

My wife will use the F word occasionally...god knows where she picked that upwhistling.gif I told her it was not becoming of a Doctor...

• Like 1

My wife has always called Professor Plum of the cleudo game 'Professional Plum'. Lol I would've thought that was going about it the hard way.

My daughter works behind the counter of our restaurant sometimes. She's luk kreung but looks very Thai. Her first language is english with a strong Aussie accent. We always have a chuckle when customers yell or speak in that silly baby voice so she can 'understand' them.

Maybe I am off base here but when I hear Thai girls using rough slang the first impression I get is Pattaya, chome poles and UV lights. Seems though most here consider it quite normal which is OK, no doubt out in the wide world no one else things like me. As an aside western girls that can swear and drink you under the table I aslso see as rough as guts. There again again I prefer to be honest rather than fake PC.

she tends to curse alot but in English.

when I came here first, I said it a lot as there were lots of things that frustrated me. Now, not so much.

however if she drops something or something doesn't work how she wants then I can hear a low "f@@k sake' or '<deleted>@k this' coming from her direction. It makes me smile a lot. biggrin.png

Mine says " this man is a wanki*g" but she really means "wank*r

I tried to explain the difference.

Yes, my wife has picked up a few of the fruitier Anglo-Saxon colloquialisms from me, but she does realise when they are not appropriate, thankfully!

I'll never forget a time I was on holiday in Phuket about 12 years ago. I was staying in town, and had rented a jeep. One day I was on my way out of town, and on the spur of the moment decided to stop for a quick beer at a cafe I spotted. I sat at the bar, and asked the for a beer in my rudimentary Thai, only to be answered in a torrent of broad Glaswegian liberally peppered with the F-word!

Ha! I almost fell off my stool! He was a real character, this guy. He'd lived and worked in Glasgow for years, apparently, hence the heavily accented English. I'm sure there are members of TV who live in Phuket who have come across the guy. Is he still there? I think it was his own bar.

Personally l feel bad English language from a Thai lady comes from a previous occupation where they mix with asshol_e farangs.

For instance, a bus conductress, or an usherette, or a nurse. You know. whistling.gif ...............smile.png

I totally agree.

A lot of bargirls use slang English. For example, I knew one bargirl here in Chiang Mai, before they started closing most of the bars down, who used to use the word, bladdy in almost every sentence she spoke in her rough, course bargirl English.

Back in the States one of our American neighbors had a Thai wife. She used to describe people she didn’t like as, bas---ds and one day when her young son accidentally smashed a cup on the floor, she shouted, <deleted> are you doing, you little mother f---er.

My wife said instantly, that woman was a bargirl, because Thais know other Thais and I can tell, she said.

Not saying that all Thai woman who pick up slang and speak course English are ex bargirls, but it`s as our transam has said; it does make suspect that these women have associated with some rather dubious company in the past and managed to pick up many English words and mannerisms from the lower part of Western society somewhere along the way.

As for, a bus conductress, or an usherette, you`re going back a bit, transam. These days those professions can be placed into the same categories as street gas light lighters, hansom cab drivers and air raid wardens. BTW, my gran was a bus conductress and she used to swear like a docker. Every other word was F this and F that.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Personally l feel bad English language from a Thai lady comes from a previous occupation where they mix with asshol_e farangs.

For instance, a bus conductress, or an usherette, or a nurse. You know. whistling.gif ...............smile.png

I totally agree.

A lot of bargirls use slang English. For example, I knew one bargirl here in Chiang Mai, before they started closing most of the bars down, who used to use the word, bladdy in almost every sentence she spoke in her rough, course bargirl English.

Back in the States one of our American neighbors had a Thai wife. She used to describe people she didn’t like as, bas---ds and one day when her young son accidentally smashed a cup on the floor, she shouted, <deleted> are you doing, you little mother f---er.

My wife said instantly, that woman was a bargirl, because Thais know other Thais and I can tell, she said.

Not saying that all Thai woman who pick up slang and speak course English are ex bargirls, but it`s as our transam has said; it does make suspect that these women have associated with some rather dubious company in the past and managed to pick up many English words and mannerisms from the lower part of Western society somewhere along the way.

As for, a bus conductress, or an usherette, you`re going back a bit, transam. These days those professions can be placed into the same categories as street gas light lighters, hansom cab drivers and air raid wardens. BTW, my gran was a bus conductress and she used to swear like a docker. Every other word was F this and F that.

OH LOOK BARGIRL bashing again

I totally agree.

Yes as only sex tourists and sex pats swear. ermm.gif

I totally agree.

Makes them feel big.

I totally agree.

Makes them feel big.

Not really, let's just say l have met many ''English'' speaking LOS ladies over the years and so l can write my opinion here. smile.png

Not really, let's just say l have met many ''English'' speaking LOS ladies over the years and so l can write my opinion here. smile.png

I can't believe I'm saying this but here it goes: Would you like to meet mine and maybe I can sway your opinion in a different direction.

I can't believe I'm saying this but here it goes: Would you like to meet mine and maybe I can sway your opinion in a different direction.

Don't think you get my point.

Of the many l have met, the few that use bad ''English'' were working girls. Of course there are non working girls out there that have picked it up from their new found ''Love''. smile.png

Don't think you get my point.

Of the many l have met, the few that use bad ''English'' were working girls. Of course there are non working girls out there that have picked it up from their new found ''Love''. smile.png

Well my didn't but from her American teacher and professor so there are more to this than meets the eye.