Rain Highest In 100 Years, Bangkok Administration Claims: Floods

webfact

laugh.png

The picture at the start of this article says just about everything you really need to know about "flash flooding" in Bangkok.

Note carefully that as this intersection the center of the intersection is LOWER than the pavements on each side....when the pedestrians wait.

And where are the storm drains?

Why there are placed in the side of the pavement....maybe 10 or 15 cm HIGHER than the center of the intersection,

Since, even in Thailand, water does not run uphill, the center of the intersection does not drain....at leat until the water level reaches the level of the storm drains,

Result? Well, obviously the rain runoff water pools in the center of the intersection.

If you're trying to drain some place of water from heavy rains, it makes no sense to have those storm drains slightly higher than the lowest point you're trying to drain, does it?

blink.png

Iam Farlang said.....

Yes you farlang, you not know Thainess, water run differently in Thailand.

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My statistics only go back 5 years. This year, at least in the northern suburbs, it has rained harder, longer and more often than it has in the previous years, including last year.

Last year's problem was runoff from the north, not the localized rain.

I have no statistics to back it up but i agree with you this is the worst in a long time. Worse then last year for sure. I also live in the northern suburbs.

But it is stupid that there is no such thing as cleaning those drains before there are problems. Looks like the BMA either does not want to work or has stolen the money already and cant spend it on maintenance.

Not any different of course of YL and her dams that still have not been build or are failing. All those politicians no matter what color they are skim / steal too much. Too bad there isn't a french style reckoning, but that would only mean that other corrupt people get the job. Too many believe corruption is acceptable.

a chinese style is whats needed ,... a few harsh penalties and these greedy ba*stards would soon refrain from robbing the poor , it's also needed in the west !.. why do the poor always have to suffer the most ?.......b'cos they have the least amount of power that's why ! ,...when everyone you vote for are only interested in gaining more wealth for themselves it makes no difference who you vote for = complacency and apathy ,

most so called democracies are now the same , ..who ever you vote for you still can't clear out the scum and leaches that are now telling us the poorest ppl claiming gov;t help ie unemployed/dissabled are the leaches !....fine to say that if you live in your ivory tower with an eaton education , even if you dont know what the magna carta translates to........now what was that about a new world order ????............... what a load of bol*ox !......nothing changes ,......captalism has failed.......at least justice SEEMS to be done in china among the ruling elite , where else do you see that ??..........Putin's russia are not the only ones that should learn from china , i am more afraid of what the west ignores than whan china recognises ........viva revolution !.......anyone think different ?

I think different sorry, i like capitalism where one with a brain and skills can make money. I hate it where everyone has to get paid the same just because it seems fair. People who are smarter and better deserve to get paid more. Russia failed before because people did not want to give it an extra bit because there was no incentive. Why would a simple brick layer get the same pay as a doctor who has studied lots longer and has more responsibility.

I do agree with the part about corruption has to be dealt with harshly.

robblok;, i know this is going off topic a bit but ,.......i never said everyone should be paid the same, i said what is needed is a chinese style system .....not the same same, but similar , no system is perfect but there are many millionares in china so they dont all get the same pay , as you say doctors should get more than bricklayers....i agree , but not x 20,.... why should bankers get millions £ in bonuses even though they were the main cause of the depression ?,.and still get them now , the rich keep getting richer , the poor poorer,......the rich and powerful are now sqeezing the poor to try and re-coup the losses , i wonder Rob, if you were Thai with a degree but no job and no family would exsist with no help from the capitalist state ?,........capitalism is failing!, maybe russia went under but who are we looking to to boost the global economy now ? .......it's not the U.S !, are'nt greece,italy,ireland,portugal and spain capitalist countries ? there are people actually starving in greece at the moment and dying because they cant afford medical care , this winter will see hundreds if not thousands of deaths this winter as the old ppl cannot afford energy to heat their homes ,......this is happening in developed capitalist countries because the system is broke , the rich and powerful own the media too and will have us all believe the status quo is the best for us all, the UK gov;t are all public school boys sitting in ivory towers that have no idea how much a bottle of milk cost, while creaming the sytem ,..they are all millionaires , why would they ? , Do you know where all the money goes from Quantative easing/printing money?... to the banks ,........how does that help the people ? give it to them so we can spend our way out of reccession a fair sytem is need not an equal one .

• Like 1

laugh.png The picture at the start of this article says just about everything you really need to know about "flash flooding" in Bangkok. Note carefully that as this intersection the center of the intersection is LOWER than the pavements on each side....when the pedestrians wait. And where are the storm drains? Why there are placed in the side of the pavement....maybe 10 or 15 cm HIGHER than the center of the intersection, Since, even in Thailand, water does not run uphill, the center of the intersection does not drain....at leat until the water level reaches the level of the storm drains, Result? Well, obviously the rain runoff water pools in the center of the intersection. If you're trying to drain some place of water from heavy rains, it makes no sense to have those storm drains slightly higher than the lowest point you're trying to drain, does it? blink.png
Iam Farlang said..... Yes you farlang, you not know Thainess, water run differently in Thailand.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Perfect! Made my day!!!