Dual nationality

pschef

In responce to the questions about Dual Nationality, can anyone throw light on immigration rules concerning this subject. My son entered Thailand on his British passport at the age of 4 years, He is now 8 years old. I know I can apply for a Thai Passport, but how do I regulate his British passport?

I beleive after 7 years of age he can be charged as overstay, I refer to the British passport. Is there some way to reister his Nationality with immigration? :o

Apply for a Thai passport for him asap.

When this is ready he has either to exit and reenter Thailand on the Thai passport (swap passports).

Or if you can get immigration to transfer his entry stamp into the Thai passport.

Childs over 8 years have to pay overstay 200B per day or a maximum of 20,000 Baht.

Thanks for the advise Fester, I aim to apply for his Thai Passport. I was thinking to exit him out in April, he will be just a few months over 8 years. one of my friends says, if I put the Thai Birth certificate inside his passport. It will be unlikly that immigration will charge an overstay? :cool:

To get a Thai passport he will need a Thai ID card. nothing more, nothing less will do.

To get a Thai ID card requires getting Thai Nationality.

This can be a long drawn out affair (our daughter's case took over one year) and required blood/DNA tests at the police Hospital to prove maternity/paternity of child, interviews at Immigration, then the granting of Thai Nationality. Once granted, Immigration write to the amphur where you or your wife (which ever one is Thai) was born or is registered. The amphur will then contact you, and issue a local birth certificate, which registers the child's birth with the amphur, and then you can apply for an ID card!

No ID card = no passport.

At the time when Thai Nationality is granted, the Immigration Office in Soi Suan Plu will CANCEL the entry stamp in your child's non-Thai passport without question. Your child then effectively cannot leave the Kingdom. All former rights of stay are cancelled.Once issued with their new Thai passport in hand, the child exits Thailand for the first time, whenever they or you decide to travel.

From that point on, you enter and leave Thailand only on the Thai passport, and enter and leave the "second" country only the passport of that country (in our case, UK).

My daughter has travelled successfully back and forth from the UK doing this since her Thai passport was issued three years ago.

Be prepared to wait for Immigration, or get the "white envelope" out!

Chok dee.

Thanks to Dah Farrang, but my son also British has a Thai Birth Certificate. I had it issued when he was born in Saudi, he can get a Thai passport no problem. The problem I was worrying about, is the fact he entered Thailand on British passport. I now know that the immigration wont fine him for overstay, its just a formality to regulate the entry stamp.

Thanks aagin :cool: