Foreigner Shot Dead In Saraburi

coma

1.2 murders per 100,000 people per year in the UK

20 million visitors to Thailand each year

By UK rates, you could expect over 200 visitors to Thailand to be murdered each year.

Not even "off the charts" by the stats of a "civilized" country like the UK.

Assuming your numbers are remotely correct, one must take into account that an average visitor may spend only one week in Thailand, or less if on business, so not accurate to compare murder rate of country and it's resident to another country based on all it's short term vacationers.

I would imagine that the percentage of foreigners spending a year or more in Thailand who die of suspicious causes, suicide, and murder would be a but disturbing.

You don't have to assume they're correct. Just google "murder rates by country".

I don't know of any statistics that separate short-time and long-time residents as crime victims. Still, with over 20 million visitors a year I don't find the numbers of them that fall victim to violent crime shocking at all. It only seems like a large number because it every single one of them is reported here and subject to hundreds of posts. We're talking about over 20 million visitors every year.

Personally, I find the numbers of visitors who meet an untimely end here surprisingly low considering how many locals meet the same fate every year. I don't see any statistical evidence whatsoever to indicate that crime against visitors is any higher than crimes against locals, or that Thais are somehow "out for whitey" as some posters have implied.

Your 20 million number includes all border crossings, which means visa runs and people getting off planes at the airport. If I leave the country 20 times this year I will be counted as twenty visitors.

True. But it also doesn't include the millions who enter illegally, don't leave the country in the course of the year, or come and just never leave. Anyway, it's the best figure we have. So maybe it's 15 million distinct visitors. Big deal?

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone wants you dead, you'll be dead even if they can't get a gun. There will be a bomb in your car, a knife in your throat, or poison in your coffee. You're dead either way.

Wow. Very inspiring post.

Really????

Yes, really. Your point?

No point....no point at all... whistling.gif

carry on....

So...which would you rather live in?

A country that has 5 gun deaths per 100,000 citizens on an annual basis? Or a country that has 50 murders of all types per 100,000 citizens on an annual basis?

You seem to be criticizing me for lack of sense, so I'd like to hear your answer.

I try to be fair with my criticism as much as possible, and I'm willing to accept if it seems like I'm proven wrong.

But in the case of Thailand, I still do think it's quite a violent and violence-prone society, when I compare it with all the other Southeast Asian countries I've stayed in.

That's the feel I get, reading news and through interactions with Thai and observations of them interacting with others (Thais and foreigners alike).

In Southeast Asia, the following countries all have higher homicide rates than Thailand's:

Indonesia

Laos

Myanmar

Philippines

Timor-Leste

Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, and Cambodia have lower rates.

I try to be fair with my criticism as much as possible, and I'm willing to accept if it seems like I'm proven wrong.

But in the case of Thailand, I still do think it's quite a violent and violence-prone society, when I compare it with all the other Southeast Asian countries I've stayed in.

That's the feel I get, reading news and through interactions with Thai and observations of them interacting with others (Thais and foreigners alike).

In Southeast Asia, the following countries all have higher homicide rates than Thailand's:

Indonesia

Laos

Myanmar

Philippines

Timor-Leste

Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, and Cambodia have lower rates.

I'll agree with the statistics, though I'd have to say those places "felt" safer and/or less violence-prone. That's the same impression many foreigners I've spoken to have. Maybe our perceptions have been influenced by the media, to lesser and greater extents.

Edited by Chads

I'll agree with the statistics, though I'd have to say those places "felt" safer and/or less violence-prone. That's the same impression many foreigners I've spoken to have. Maybe our perceptions have been influenced by the media, to lesser and greater extents.

That's exactly it.

Out of curiousity, how long have you lived in Thailand?

That's exactly it.

Over 25 years. You?

Seems much more dangerous now, in the internet age, when we get to hear about every little thing.

In the past, if it wasn't reported in the papers or didn't happen to someone you know, you never heard about it.

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

That's exactly it.

Over 25 years. You?

Seems much more dangerous now, in the internet age, when we get to hear about every little thing.

In the past, if it wasn't reported in the papers or didn't happen to someone you know, you never heard about it.

I've been moving in and out for a couple of years.

seriously a lot of you blokes that are posting here really need to have a long hard look at yourselves, The complete insensitivity and lack of empathy displayed by many symbolises a complete disconnect with the real world. I doubt many of you have any tangible real world relationships with family or friends. Oswald was a much loved man and you are tarnishing his reputation. I suggest you set up your own thread somewhere and compare how empty your lives are.

I'm sorry we're discussing other matters here. I do think it is a very sad thing that this man had to pass.

seriously a lot of you blokes that are posting here really need to have a long hard look at yourselves, The complete insensitivity and lack of empathy displayed by many symbolises a complete disconnect with the real world. I doubt many of you have any tangible real world relationships with family or friends. Oswald was a much loved man and you are tarnishing his reputation. I suggest you set up your own thread somewhere and compare how empty your lives are.

Hey, all of us are sorry about Oswald. I'm sure he was a lovely bloke.

Don't be offended, though, if the discussion moves beyond memorializing and into an examination of violence in Thailand in general. This is, after all, a discussion board.

• Like 1

Don't be offended, though, if the discussion moves beyond memorializing and into an examination of violence in Thailand in general. This is, after all, a discussion board.

I am still pissed off at the photo. sad.png

Standard newspaper ops here sad to say.

Standard newspaper ops here sad to say.

Yes, the notion that a dead body has any kind of "dignity" to be preserved after its soul has left it is mostly a Western concept.

Soul has bugger all to do with it. It's a matter of showing discretion, and respect the feelings of the deceased kith and kin.

Absolutely correct.

Farangs are not Thai and never will be, so farangs with bits blown off should not be shown on this mainly farang forum. Anybody here want his butchered body shown on the Net ???.

Cos some of ''US'' will be, for our families to see. Sadly. sad.png

Im all for freedom of speech and all, but some of the comments here are a disgrace. Why make a derogitory comment on someones death you know nothing about? Is it to try and portray yourself as being 'smart'? Like someone else said, think if it were your brother or best mate.. How would you feel? What value are you adding to this thread?

Spot on mate.

If anyone knows this guy, than it is your duty to report to the police, even anonymously.

A truly terrible state of affairs.

And become a suspect so can shift blame from Thai to farang.

Go into an Internet cafe.

Send the message to the police or to the newspaper that has published the story.

Sign out of Hotmail, walk out of Internet cafe and never use that Hotmail address again.

OR

Print out a letter, post from a post box to the police or to the newspaper that has published the story.

Only need to give the man`s name, nationality and address if known.

There are ways and means.

This guy probably has family somewhere, perhaps children, and if anyone knows this man please don`t make the family suffer, plus the police have limited resources, help them, please and bring the murderers to book.

It should be no Problem for the Police or Immigration to find out who this Man is

Except he was illegal in the Country without a Visa

there are multiple ways to find out wo he is, one would be facial recognition

since years everybody who come into Thailand has to make a Picture at Immigration.

If he has a Long Stay Visa they should have his Finger Prints on file too.....

Farang who got in the way of a Thai.

When did foreigner mean "falang"

600 years ago give or take. Various interpretations say 'Farang' = 'Foreign', while others say 'Farangset' (French). However, Thais generally use the term for light skinned folks, except the stars of Thai TV. Puzzling really, because some black folks (American definition) are called Farang...

• Like 1

Soul has bugger all to do with it. It's a matter of showing discretion, and respect the feelings of the deceased kith and kin.

Absolutely correct.

Farangs are not Thai and never will be, so farangs with bits blown off should not be shown on this mainly farang forum. Anybody here want his butchered body shown on the Net ???.

Cos some of ''US'' will be, for our families to see. Sadly. sad.png

At the time of the OP and for 24 hours after it the deceased was a John Doe. I therefore used TV as a tool to get information out to the expat community ASAP with the intent on maybe alerting some people who may have known the deceased to come forward and assist authorities with identification. And indeed numerous people have posted on this tread stating they did know the deceased. There was nothing but GOOD intentions. There was no disrepect in it at all. Grab a local paper where I sourced all the content for the thread and that is the picture you see. Welcome to Thailand and the way Thais deal with such cases.

Edited by coma
  • Like 1

Thai police hunt killers of South African man

Thailand's police are searching for the killers of a South African man whose body was dumped next to a grave they believe was intended for him, Thai media reported on Tuesday. According to the Thai-language Daily News, police had seized a vehicle, which they believed was connected to the murder of Oswald Heinrich Duvel.

Thai media reported that Duvel's body was discovered in the foothills of Saraburi province. The Thai Rath newspaper reported that Duvel, who was shot three times, was found wearing only his watch and a pair of blue underpants. Both newspapers reported that a partially dug grave was found near the body.

The Pattya Daily News reported that police believed those who dug the grave fled because they might have been spooked by a passerby. Several reports indicated that Duvel went missing after leaving his home in Bangkok to visit his three-year-old son at the home of his ex-wife.

Continued:

http://www.thenewage.co.za/64294-1007-53-Thai_police_hunt_killers_of_SA_man_Reports

New Age (South Africa) - Oct. 2, 2012

• Like 1