Where To Buy Cheap Protein Powder In Bangkok

missionrat

I'm looking to buy whey protein powder from a store in Bangkok (ie not mail order). Can anyone suggest one that has decent prices. The prices at GNC are laughable/offensive and I've purchased 1kg Dynamtize for 1400 baht at a small pharmacy but I know there are better deals to be had. Can someone suggest a store that sells protein powder for more reasonable prices?

Thanks.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are looking for brand name proteins, then its the price here in THAILAND because of import duties and other taxes. There's an online company named phuket something, which you can google it. It's cheaper than gnu but you won't find U.S. prices.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the brand. Just looking for cheapest but for variety of reasons can't do mail order...

I'd have a look around. I bought my last 1 kg tub from a branch of Boots; they had an offer on and it was about 1100 or 1150 if I remember correctly.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the brand. Just looking for cheapest but for variety of reasons can't do mail order...

I'd have a look around. I bought my last 1 kg tub from a branch of Boots; they had an offer on and it was about 1100 or 1150 if I remember correctly.

Buy some tofu or soy proteins for a tenth of the price. Plus you're less likely to poison yourself in the long run.

Buy some tofu or soy proteins for a tenth of the price. Plus you're less likely to poison yourself in the long run.

Love tahu and soymilk, in fact I had white rice plus tahu in chilli sauce for breakfast today thumbsup.gif - but when you're training hard you need to look after your protein intake - its the one major nutrient that you're body can't synthesize itself i.e. you need to replenish it every single day (or you're on a slippery slope).

Love tahu and soymilk, in fact I had white rice plus tahu in chilli sauce for breakfast today thumbsup.gif - but when you're training hard you need to look after your protein intake - its the one major nutrient that you're body can't synthesize itself i.e. you need to replenish it every single day (or you're on a slippery slope).

Exactly that's were your balanced diet comes in. Protein deficiency is usually not an issue of exercise but of malnutrition. Soy protein https://en.wikipedia...red_soy_protein for instance gives more than enough protein than you need... Yes couldn't agree more. It's a slippery slope to use concentrated protein power as it will generally lower your intake of other essentials.

Exactly that's were your balanced diet comes in. Protein deficiency is usually not an issue of exercise but of malnutrition. Soy protein https://en.wikipedia...red_soy_protein for instance gives more than enough protein than you need... Yes couldn't agree more. It's a slippery slope to use concentrated protein power as it will generally lower your intake of other essentials.

No it won't.

No it won't.

That is the overall intake in ratio to your total energy consumption. See what I mean? If you your energy level increases because of workouts and you compensate that increased need only with proteins, your overall intake of other essentials in ratio to your total energy consumption is lowered.

I'm not talking about energy levels - different sort of thing altogether - multiple metabolic pathways are available for your body to sort out increased energy requirements.

What i am talking about is that on heavier days, say when you exercise for 1-1.5 hrs in the gym, rather than 30-45 minutes, its not going to kill you to have a shake made from a whey protein supplement.

No it won't kill you, but you may slowly poison yourself.

Have a look here for more information.

http://exercise.abou...n/a/protein.htm

No offense, but I know all of that.

And after a quick scan through, there is nothing re poisoning oneself.

My understanding is that if your body cannot utilise the proteinaceous compounds consumed, they are execreted as waste.

My understanding is that if your body cannot utilise the proteinaceous compounds consumed, they are execreted as waste.

http://www.medicinen...rticlekey=50900

More than 30% of your total daily caloric intake - Sounds a lot doesn't it, do you think that a whey protein shake would push you over that ? (I doubt it).

If this shake is based on a 1 scoop (36 g) of your average whey power than, you'll have about 18g of protein in total and providing you with about 110 calories. https://www.extremeb...der-vanilla.php On a 2000 calorie diet that's already 36% protein.

So you need to check out how much your shake contains, what your energy consumption (3000 calories?, workout days) is and what other foods you eat. I would guess if you only eat vegetables with that shake you might be fine, eating a big steak or omelet on top of that you probably might not. My initial point was, why bother in the first place; why not eat tofu or an omelette (and your vegetables) and have the same result.

http://www.medicinen...rticlekey=50900

More than 30% of your total daily caloric intake - Sounds a lot doesn't it, do you think that a whey protein shake would push you over that ? (I doubt it).

If this shake is based on a one gramme serving of your average whey power than, you'll have about 23g of protein in total and providing you with about 120 calories.

So you need to check out how much your shake contains, what your energy consumption (3000 calories?, workout days) is and what other foods you eat. I would guess if you only eat vegetables with that shake you might be fine, eating a big steak or omelet on top of that you probably might not. My initial point was, why bother in the first place; why not eat tofu or an omelette (and your vegetables) and have the same result.

OK, let's put it like this: if you don't go mad with the whey protein powder, then you're not going to slowly poison yourself wai.gif .

OK, let's put it like this: if you don't go mad with the whey protein powder, then you're not going to slowly poison yourself wai.gif .

Yes, should be OK in small amounts. But even if no harm why spent so much money for something that is definitely not a superior diet or has not any other advantages.

Yes, should be OK in small amounts. But even if no harm why spent so much money for something that is definitely not a superior diet or has not any other advantages.

Well I can think of several reasons:

[1] I weigh 95 kg, am almost vegetarian and visit the gym at least 1 a day. Your referenced calc's give a figure of about 75 g of protein a day for me and if you're not eating meat and fish then you need to get that protein from somewhere. As much as I like tahu / soy milk etc I don't want to eat it every day, so the supplements are handy.

[2] They taste nice - I drink one scoop of the choclate malt flavour with skimmed milk and its a lovely drink (think of all that Ca).

[3] Not too pricey, you get an awful lot of scoops in a 1 kg tub.

[4] There's a pschological impact too, run and become etc etc..

[5] I tend to vary my work-outs, alternating light and heavy days, so I'm not going to be drinking these shakes every day.

Disclaimer: I have no business relationship, with any supplier of protein supplements, or related products.

Well I've only been weight lifting my entire life. Was a vegetarian for 10 years and I can tell from extensive personal experience you that soy protein (for me) is simply not enough unless you have no interest in actually building muscle. As soon as I started supplementing was considerable amounts of whey protein powder, I broke out of a long-standing plateau and started really lifting heavier weights and putting on muscle.

Perhaps for carnivores who eat a lot of meat and eggs, supplementation isn't necessary but if you're not getting 1.5-2g of protein for kg of weight you are short changing yourself if you have any interest in gaining strength or mass...

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein.htm

No offense but you have no clue as to what you are talking about whatsoever. You information could not be more fallacious nor was your advice solicited as this was a question about where to buy protein not a request for amateur musings about potential benefits of different proteins. Whey protein is not going to kill anyone. It's simply milk protein. Nothing scary about it. Rather than drink 2 gallons of milk a day (as bodybuilders used to do in the old days) now you can consume just the protein isolated from milk.

Let me tell you what is scary, however. Soy imported into Thailand is now approx. 85% genetically modified. And Thailand imports a lot of soy. It is the 4th largest importer of soy in the world. So if you enjoy your GMO soy products made by Monsanto, than great. I personally do not. I wont even go in to the well documented links between soy consumption and breast cancer due to estrogen mimicking properties of soy but certainly women should most certainly NOT be relying on soy protein as the mainstay of their diet...

Its convienient if you want to reach some goals. I add it to my yogurst musli flax sead breakfast. It can help you get the right ratios (ones you want) easily.

I but it with club protein and i dont think 750bt a kg is expensive. Most guys blow more money on beer in an evening.

I do agree that you need to have your food in order because its a supplement.. not a replacement of good food.

No offense but you have no clue as to what you are talking about whatsoever. You information could not be more fallacious nor was your advice solicited as this was a question about where to buy protein not a request for amateur musings about potential benefits of different proteins. Whey protein is not going to kill anyone. It's simply milk protein. Nothing scary about it. Rather than drink 2 gallons of milk a day (as bodybuilders used to do in the old days) now you can consume just the protein isolated from milk.

Paige Waehner might be an "amateur", but she is a certified personal trainer through the American Council on Exercise and a freelance writer with more than 13 years of exercise experience. Likewise Miriam Nelson's article (which I posted a link to) was reviewed by Gary Vogin, MD...

Last piece of advise, drinking 2 gallons of milk a day is definitely not recommended according to Joel Fuhrman extensive literature review. (Source available upon request) Which part of the scientific literature have you reviewed? What studies do you refer to in your argument?

Paige Waehner might be an "amateur", but she is a certified personal trainer through the American Council on Exercise and a freelance writer with more than 13 years of exercise experience. Likewise Miriam Nelson's article (which I posted a link to) was reviewed by Gary Vogin, MD...

Last piece of advise, drinking 2 gallons of milk a day is definitely not recommended according to Joel Fuhrman extensive literature review. (Source available upon request) Which part of the scientific literature have you reviewed? What studies do you refer to in your argument?

Wow 13 year of exercise experience.. i got 20 does that make me right ? There are enough people telling you proteins are not a problem. Just because these guys echo your view does not make them right. I know plenty of guys (me too) who take loads of protein and i got my blood checked and my liver values.. no problems.

The evidence is real weak.. i can find a lot of research contradicting it

http://www.uspharmac...ervice/c/15812/

here a article with mention of its sources.

Plus im living proof , high protein diet, regular blood test and kidney liver function.. never something wrong actually a great image of health.

And certified .. if you see what slobs get it its so easy to get. I could get it in a 40hrs online course. Sorry but that does not say much.

http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45 (peer reviewed about protein )

I can get my ACE certification in 2 weeks. Sorry nice try but being a personal trainer does not qualify anyone as an expert on nutrition. I haven't bothered to read your bunk articles, nor will I. The fact that you inserted your off-topic personal agenda into this post is enough to tell me to disregard 100% of everything you say. Only crackpots act like that. The Internet gives every crackpot the opportunity to play "expert" because you can always cherry pick one source to support whatever LUDICROUS opinion you may have. And yes, calling whey protein a "poison" is ludicrous. It's laughable really.

If you like, I can point you to a few equally comical articles about how wifi waves cause brain cancer, the government is using chemical trails from jet planes to control the population, etc etc etc.

The evidence is real weak.. i can find a lot of research contradicting it

http://www.uspharmac...ervice/c/15812/

here a article with mention of its sources.

and that's what we read:

If kidney problems already exist, increased intake of protein can cause further damage, and it is suggested that protein be taken in moderation and with the consent of a doctor. Whey protein does have high vitamin content, so too much whey protein can create some problems with vitamin toxicity.

Moreover:

Paul Elliott et al 2006 'suggest that high dietary protein intake may be detrimental to blood pressure.' Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(1):79-87. doi:10.1001/archinte.166.1.79

http://archinte.jama...rticleid=409499

Along the same line (non-peer reviewed), Joel Fuhrman, M.D. states:

Out of more than 600 Olympic athletes on the East German 1964 Olympic team, fewer than 10 are still alive today. Promoting muscular growth with supplements and steroids doesn’t seem too wise in that context. Excessive body mass, and even excessive muscular development, gained by gorging on high-protein animal products is a risk factor for heart attacks and other diseases later in life.

http://www.sound-die...fuhrman-md.html

Archived