Where To Buy Cheap Protein Powder In Bangkok

missionrat

If you don't have a clue about nutrition keep your mouth shut.

Calories from bacon doesn't count?

And the earth is flat...

Nice addition to the thread and what was an intelligent discussion; even if not all of us are nutrition experts.

It's you that needs to moderate your contributions here IMO.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't have a clue about nutrition keep your mouth shut.

Calories from bacon doesn't count?

And the earth is flat...

Nice addition to the thread and what was an intelligent discussion; even if not all of us are nutrition experts.

It's you that needs to moderate your contributions here IMO.

Its going really OT but i believe he means that if you dont eat carbs you can't get an insulin spike to drive the calories from the bacon into your own fat reserves. I am not sure it really works this way as it would mean there would be calories (in whatever form) floating around somewhere.

Still the calories in calories out would come into play as else these calories keep staying there. Not sure how people think it works.

Not saying here that i know it all because im not sure about everything i still believe in calories in and out. But i do believe hormones play an important role in how fast you burn stuff and where you store fat. I also believe in eating as lil sugar as possible.

Well, glycemic index and specific food items and type of carbs etc etc have little relevance here. Its the overall caloric intake that is of interest. In the long run a varied diet is more important than staying away from "fast" or high glycemic carbs, usually they are poor in nutrition, this should be the reason to limit them, nothing else.

If Bob eats a big piece of white bread 2 o clock on wednesday and has the mother of insulin spikes this is not something that's going to dictate how much body fat is going to be stored that day.

I don't mean to hi-jet this thread as we are all talking about Whey protien, OP please don't mind.

My question is can I take Whey protien during my workout days ONLY before and after my workout ? (workout 3 times a week)

What will happen (any effect to muscle) if i stop taking Whey protien after i started for 1-3 months ?

Please help to answer.

Thks

Whey protein is protein, and should count towards your total protein intake, which is something worth keeping tabs on. You can have whey as a part of meals or in between if u feel like it. The only thing I would advice is to get the majority of your protein intake from food that you chew, if nothing else for the sake of saturation. Theres nothing magic about whey, its derived from milk. There are alot of sources of protein to choose from.

i believe he means that if you dont eat carbs you can't get an insulin spike to drive the calories from the bacon into your own fat reserves. I am not sure it really works this way as it would mean there would be calories (in whatever form) floating around somewhere.

Still the calories in calories out would come into play as else these calories keep staying there. Not sure how people think it works.

Not saying here that i know it all because im not sure about everything i still believe in calories in and out. But i do believe hormones play an important role in how fast you burn stuff and where you store fat. I also believe in eating as lil sugar as possible.

I think, the in/ out calories frame is a sound starting point. I'm quite surprised to see that this does not go without saying. The next and equally important consideration is where do the "in calories" come from. This should be based on established RDA ratios (for Fat, Carbohydrate, Dietary Fiber, Protein). What I generally have observed in discussions that people tend to associate certain foods with certain components: eg Bacon = protein, bread = carbs... This is problematic as most food stuff (especially "none processed food") is highly complex. Brown rice for instance contains a considerable amount of proteins and fat, likewise green leave vegetables are a good source of protein. The issue is further complicated, in terms of balanced nutrition, that the cal intake requires certain different fats in specific ratios.

So hypothetically, if a 2000 cal intake would merely be obtained via lets say about 520g of cornstarch (100% carbohydrates, 0% fat 0% protein), than one would have a enough energy for one day. The problem of course would be that after a few days, the lack of protein and more importantly the lack of fat would cause problem, which eventually is likely to end in an organ failure. So, in this way the in/ out frame would still be valuable, but rather pointless. The very reason why I pointed to a balanced diet, as "cheap protein powder" was called for.

There are lots of reports that an Atkins type diet can also give you health problems.

No credible studies. But anyway, an obese person is better "risking" Atkins than staying obese. Atkins is one of the easiest diets to sustain and is the most effective. Read the countless testimonials. I've seen it work fantastically well, and it works great for me, though I don't follow it strictly.

IMO a balanced diet is the way to go, with perhaps a bit of tweaking if you exercise a lot.

Uh-oh.

The Inuit Paradox – High Protein & Fat, No Fruits/Vegetables and yet Lower Heart Disease and Cancer | The IF Life

http://www.theiflife...ase-and-cancer/

Atkins doesn't exclude many veggies, BTW--which are carbs. So you can say it is "balanced" if you wish, unless pizza is needed for your "balance."

I also don't think that carb addiction is to blame for the levels of obesity in the developed world - its far more complicated than that.

Not really, no. Here's a vid explaining the problem in the developed world for you:

I'm in China at the moment and I would guess that the local popultion get perhaps 50-60% of their daily energy requirements from carbohydrates, and guess how many overweight people I've seen since I arrived ? In fact of you pulled 100 people of the street, I reckon you'd struggle to find one that had a BMI outside the range 20-22.

Uh-oh.

In addition to diabetes and high blood pressure, other serious health implications related to obesity include a higher risk of cancer, heart disease and diabetes. The latter disease is rapidly becoming more prominent in China. A March 2010 New England Journal of Medicine study estimated that 9.7 percent of the country’s population has diabetes, a figure that is close to that of the U.S. at 11 percent; another American Diabetes Association study found similar rates in both countries. Also notable is that of these diabetes cases in China, 60.7 percent went undiagnosed. The majority of these cases are Type II late onset diabetes, which is directly correlated with being overweight; obesity has been found to contribute to approximately 55 percent of Type II diabetes cases.

. . .

With an overweight percentage of 38 percent and rising, mainland China is home to a staggering 380 million-plus people with weight problems. And studies show that the problem is becoming increasingly prevalent among youth, and may largely define urban China’s near-term future.

-- US-China Today: Obesity in China: Waistlines are Expanding Twice as Fast as GDP

Well, I'm not wasting further time here with a "discussion" w/ our countless experts on nutrition here (as with politics and economics) who are merely going to blow hot air ad infinitum.

I'll refer you to recent post w/ a ref to a biochem textbook and a step-by-step description of the process of fat storage:

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry5713155

You can have your opinion, and I'll take the biochemistry.

So that'll be a starting point for sources if you want to learn for yourself. All this isn't to discount metabolic differences among individuals. We all know how some can eat all the junk food they wish but not gain an ounce. George Burns smoked 10-15 cigars a day, loved martinis, but lived to 100. Recently Juliana Koo celebrated here 107th birthday. Her advice? Don't exercise or take medicine. smile.pnghttp://cityroom.blog...ever-look-back/

i do believe hormones play an important role in how fast you burn stuff and where you store fat.

The "out calories" part of the frame, as I understand it, is considerably more complicated and generally even less understood. Possibly more later on this.

i do believe hormones play an important role in how fast you burn stuff and where you store fat.

The "out calories" part of the frame, as I understand it, is considerably more complicated and generally even less understood. Possibly more later on this.

On the contrary, it's quite well understood, if not by yourself, because, as robblok knows, the actions of the hormones, esp. insulin, have been studied for decades. Better do some reading in Biochemistry, 7th ed., by Berg et al. or Biochemistry, 4th ed. by Donald and Judith G Voet--both standard works.

Statistically insignificant; and correlation isn't causation. Dieters on all kinds of diets die prematurely. In fact, non-dieters often do as well. I needn't post links.

Plus I had a friend on the Atkins diet - he lost a lot of weight but he only went for a dump once a week !

Dam_n! What a shame. If only I'd known--I could have advised him to google the word "constipation." That's the correct spelling, BTW.

And I think I'll base my diet and exercise regimes on the majority of the information available to me - not the exceptions you quote.

Shocking, I'd never have guessed. Me, I won't go along w/ the majority if they're wrong. I'd hate to end up looking like one of the People of Walmart. smile.png Anyway, over time and after more investigation, you may change your mind. I did.

Its going really OT but i believe he means that if you dont eat carbs you can't get an insulin spike to drive the calories from the bacon into your own fat reserves. I am not sure it really works this way as it would mean there would be calories (in whatever form) floating around somewhere.

Calories that are needed are used for bodily functions, like keeping your heart beating--highly desirable.

As for the excess, if you don't have insulin driving them into your fat cells, then they merely get excreted. I hated to mention this lest a bunch of Brits jump in here and hijack the thread to praise and discuss the Thai bum sprayer yet again. ;)

Calories that are needed are used for bodily functions, like keeping your heart beating--highly desirable.

As for the excess, if you don't have insulin driving them into your fat cells, then they merely get excreted. I hated to mention this lest a bunch of Brits jump in here and hijack the thread to praise and discuss the Thai bum sprayer yet again. wink.png

My understanding (without going back and reading Biochemistry text books) is that there are multiple pathways by which the body can utilise and store carbohydrates, and these work in the very short, short, medium and long-term time frames.

In addition to conversion and storage as fat, the various metabolic pathways can also store excess carbo's as glycogen in various tissues e.g. muscle cells and the also in the liver.

I believe you're mistaken if you surmise that carbohydrate metabolism is solely based around insulin levels.

Its a similar rebuttal to your obesity argument: yes the West is getting fatter, but there are loads of factors involved, not just the crappy, sugar laden food a lot of people eat. For example: social economic factors, sedentary life-style and exercise levels.

I am a Brit (and pround of it - in a very non-flag-waving way) but I'm not sure what a 'bum-sprayer' is ?

So the topic is where to buy cheap protien powder in Bkk ?

Google club protein if you are ok with either unflavored whey or unflavored soy protein. I use it its good for me. Other stuff you can get from mail by the phuket health club.

I get my proteins from part timers trying to making a little bit of cash. Usually the personal trainers at any reputable gym will sell them, just ask around.

I get mine from http://www.thetonshop.com/ What I do is give him a call, tell him what I want, and we set a meeting point at a BTS station then pay him by cash.

There's a lot of guys like him that do that here. But just be a little bit cautious about the expiry date and the seal.

• 3 months later...

I have 2.5KG of Impact Whey Protein that i have brought over from the UK, it is from Myprotein.com, the UKs biggest supplier of this kind of product. (the flavour is strawberry cream)

Also ive 1KG of Ultra Fine oats, a good pre work out drink.

Together including p+p it cost me just under 40GBP, selling for 2000BHT.

I am near to Ekkamai until Sunday if anyone wishes to meet to collect it.

Have a look at the myprotein website to see the products.

Reason i'm selling is because im off to Iran to work and would prefer to avoid the headache of carrying powders through their customs.

• 5 months later...

OK, let's put it like this: if you don't go mad with the whey protein powder, then you're not going to slowly poison yourself wai.gif .

Yes, should be OK in small amounts. But even if no harm why spent so much money for something that is definitely not a superior diet or has not any other advantages.

Its convienient if you want to reach some goals. I add it to my yogurst musli flax sead breakfast. It can help you get the right ratios (ones you want) easily.

I but it with club protein and i dont think 750bt a kg is expensive. Most guys blow more money on beer in an evening.

I do agree that you need to have your food in order because its a supplement.. not a replacement of good food.

What IS a good diet to have in Thailand? I need to keep things on a budget too - is chicken fried rice not gonna cut it? wink.png

I'm thinking of having my oatmeal with banana and raisins and milk for breakfast.

Do Yoga for 90 mins. Drink a meal repalcement shake. (Yoga 5 times a week at a class)

Go home. Do a dumbell/machine/bodyweight workout (only equipment I have) Do this 3 alternate days a week.

Have lunch (Thai streetfood) and a plate of mango or some other fruit

Have another MRP drink later.

Have dinner (again, Thai street/cafe food)

Maybe one last MRP before bed.

What do you think? I'm not trying to win Mr. Universe, just trying to put some muscle and definition on this skinny little body! Guys that do Yoga hard for years have very strong bodies.

Couple that with an intense workout 3 times a week.

What do you think? If anything, it has to be better than sitting sedentary all day and then drinking beer every night and smoking cheap Thai cigarettes!

Thanks.

Good stuff Malthus. I'd say, drop the street food as much as you can; if not possible avoid the fried type. Learn to cook. Here a simple recipe. Cook brown rice together with split mung beans in a rice cooker (3 parts rice 2 parts beans), when done add some ghee or sesame oil and a bit soya source, and mix well. Stable diet for a yogie and actually quite delicious, plus more green leaf vegetables and less fruit. Plenty of proteins from theses beans and vegetables.

• 3 months later...

Hey, my first post here but I am not affiliated with below.

fitwhey.com has excellent products at very good prices and they deliver day to day by EMS. I have bought from them 5-6 times and will continue buying from them.

• 3 months later...

Buy some tofu or soy proteins for a tenth of the price. Plus you're less likely to poison yourself in the long run.

Love tahu and soymilk, in fact I had white rice plus tahu in chilli sauce for breakfast today thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif - but when you're training hard you need to look after your protein intake - its the one major nutrient that you're body can't synthesize itself i.e. you need to replenish it every single day (or you're on a slippery slope).

Exactly that's were your balanced diet comes in. Protein deficiency is usually not an issue of exercise but of malnutrition. Soy protein https://en.wikipedia...red_soy_protein for instance gives more than enough protein than you need... Yes couldn't agree more. It's a slippery slope to use concentrated protein power as it will generally lower your intake of other essentials.

but it's also full of estrogen. That's not good for building muscle or keeping muscle mass, but good for growing breasts.

Just wanted to recommend Phuket health store (online shop, google it for the address).

I've made monthly orders from them for the past year, and they have been very reliable. Orders take 2-3 days to arrive. It costs around 4000 baht for 5kg of protein (Optimum nutrition whey). Far, far cheaper than GNC.

I also buy my multivit and fish oil from them.

OK, let's put it like this: if you don't go mad with the whey protein powder, then you're not going to slowly poison yourself wai.gif .

Yes, should be OK in small amounts. But even if no harm why spent so much money for something that is definitely not a superior diet or has not any other advantages.

Its convienient if you want to reach some goals. I add it to my yogurst musli flax sead breakfast. It can help you get the right ratios (ones you want) easily.

I but it with club protein and i dont think 750bt a kg is expensive. Most guys blow more money on beer in an evening.

I do agree that you need to have your food in order because its a supplement.. not a replacement of good food.

What IS a good diet to have in Thailand? I need to keep things on a budget too - is chicken fried rice not gonna cut it? wink.png

I'm thinking of having my oatmeal with banana and raisins and milk for breakfast.

Do Yoga for 90 mins. Drink a meal repalcement shake. (Yoga 5 times a week at a class)

Go home. Do a dumbell/machine/bodyweight workout (only equipment I have) Do this 3 alternate days a week.

Have lunch (Thai streetfood) and a plate of mango or some other fruit

Have another MRP drink later.

Have dinner (again, Thai street/cafe food)

Maybe one last MRP before bed.

What do you think? I'm not trying to win Mr. Universe, just trying to put some muscle and definition on this skinny little body! Guys that do Yoga hard for years have very strong bodies.

Couple that with an intense workout 3 times a week.

What do you think? If anything, it has to be better than sitting sedentary all day and then drinking beer every night and smoking cheap Thai cigarettes!

Thanks.

I would recommend plugging all of that into http://nutritiondata.self.com/ and seeing exactly for yourself what your daily nutrition is. May take around an hour to enter all the information, but you will see exactly any areas you are lacking in or that could be modified. :)

I am not sure why you are not going mail order as it arrives within 24 hours from fitwhey.com and the prices are MUCH MUCH cheaper than the stores. They have Dymatize and many other brands/flavors. Sorry if this has already been posted, I don't have time to read the whole thread.

• 3 months later...

found a sports supplement store at Central plaza Rama 9 on the bottom floor just as you come of the MRT selling legit American brands bout half the price of any else I buy in Bangkok. You may want to give that a try.

Archived