A Warning About Buying Latest Phones In Thailand!

Satcommlee

I want to share my experience of buying a Galaxy S3 in Thailand.

I was not stupid (or so I thought), I waited for the Galaxy S3 to be officially launched in Thailand before I bought one, I did not want a grey import as I know these have warranty issues.

So the day came, the Galaxy S3 had been officially launched in Thailand... I did not run down to the shops on that very day but waited I think till a day or two after the official launch.

I visited Central Beach Road Mall in Pattaya, and all the shops advertising the new telephone for 21'900 Baht. My obvious choice was the Samsung shop but they had sold out of their stock already.

Oh Well, on to the next shop, this shop was WINNER TELECOM GROUP, according to their business card they have 16 Branches across Thailand, they must be reputable surely???...

post-134820-0-02902600-1349107636_thumb.

So I paid the Thai market rate for the Galaxy S3, the same rate that was up in the window of every shop in Central Mall, 21'900 THB..

Oh dear "the computer was down" and they had to give me a hand written receipt.. Is that the same computer that may inevitably have printed something I perhaps would not have liked to read??

So here is my receipt...

post-134820-0-58663100-1349107920_thumb.

Now for the next document, they asked me to sign... "What is this??" I ask and words to the effect of "Warranty registration" were muttered from across the counter.. Despite being unable to understand a word of this document, I do know that it is not unusual for shops here in Thailand to make you fill out warranty cards etc. when you buy appliances.

This is a reputable company surely? I'm not signing power of attorney or consent for chemical castration or anything nasty like that am I?

post-134820-0-35321900-1349108158_thumb.

Well to cut a long story short, my Galaxy S3 has failed and I took it to the Service Center and to my surprise the lady started adding up values on a piece of paper, this being how much it would cost to repair my Galaxy S3... I stopped her when she got to around 9000 Baht and asked "what are you doing?, This is warranty"

It was at this point I found out that my phone was actually from Spain and is not under warranty.

The yellow document above that I thought was some sort of warranty registration was in fact acknowledgment that the phone has no warranty but at no point was I told by this shop that I was buying a Grey Import Phone, at no point was I told I had no warranty... When powered up in the shop the phone display even appeared in Thai..

So the moral to the story here is, if they think you are a dumb tourist, you may get fobbed off with a grey import that they were unable to sell before official launch!

Thanks for reading

Edited by Satcommlee

alarm bells should have rang as soon as Samsung had run out of stock and these had them instock still... then signing a non Samsung document.. But the overall give away would have been no thai manual or thai writing on the box. its my understanding that they all have country origin details on the box.. i know the 2 Samsung units i bought have the thai writing on the back.

well at least you maybe can get it repaired at a service shop..they do wonders. good luck.

Edited by thaicbr

alarm bells should have rang as soon as Samsung had run out of stock and these had them instock still... then signing a non Samsung document.. But the overall give away would have been no thai manual or thai writing on the box. its my understanding that they all have country origin details on the box.. i know the 2 Samsung units i bought have the thai writing on the back.

well at least you maybe can get it repaired at a service shop..they do wonders. good luck.

In hindsight you are so right... but I never read manuals but I would have definitely have spotted any Spanish text on the box.. Unfortunately it was only last week that my dear wife threw the box away..

The thing powering up in Thai was enough for me, to be honest..

Of course the lady that sold it to me doesn't work there any more!

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

How did Samsung determine your phone's Spanish heritage? Did they scan the IMEI? Or just check the product code in the phone's firmware?

What is the nature of your unit's failure? Physical damage? Unable to start? Other?

In theory it would may be possible for you to re-flash, using Check Fus Downloader and ODIN, the official Thai firmware, which would display a Thai product code, and possibly result in warranty repair, perhaps at a different service point ;) ?

http://androidromupdate.com/2012/06/13/samsung-galaxy-s3-stock-rom-asia-gt-i9300-firmware-build/

Going forward one can always examine the outside of the box, where the bar-code label will have details re: country, examine the warranty card, which would detail the warranty repair agent, and even check the Product Code to verify it ends in THL.

In addition to warranty repair issues some phones "fall off the boat" here transitioning from manufacturing facilities in Viet Nam to other markets, so in some cases these units may be reported lost or stolen, which could lead to further complications.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this story...and especially including the form that basically signs away any warranty rights (at least in Thailand). It really brings home a key downside of grey market items and vendors who sell them.

Edited by Pib

Apple provides international warranty and replacement while samsung doesnt (for same pricing level). it was a big mistake to buy pentile amoled gs3. That screen has very low lifetime.

but Apple also provide a crap phone that is overpriced for what it is....at least i think so.... but i agree that IF you have a phone the Manufacturer should repair it under warranty..OP have you tried another Samsung service centre.

Edited by thaicbr

Apple provides international warranty and replacement while samsung doesnt (for same pricing level). it was a big mistake to buy pentile amoled gs3. That screen has very low lifetime.

but Apple also provide a crap phone that is overpriced for what it is....at least i think so

me2 lmfao!!

Classic rookie mistake. It happens to many of us when we first come over; usually smaller purchases. For me, it was buying that True InterSim card for 250 baht, thinking it wasn't such a bad deal for the international calling. Didn't know that they sold them for 50 baht or so in most 7-11s. That was the first and last time I bought a legit retail item dealing with electronics (where i expect service) from any random place. I never ended up using the sim card anyway, go figure.

You must have really been in a super hurry to have that phone vs walking or driving to another dealer. Samsung-brand store isn't the only official retail outlets. Tesco lotus, AIS/Telewiz/DTAC/TrueMove shops, JayMart, Robinsons, Power Buy, Big C, a different Central or other major shopping center, or go to one of the mobile expos. You could have asked one of us senior members to pick one up for you at a [authorized] retailer in our local area. You signed paperwork that you didn't understand or at least know the gist of what it was for. You didn't take someone else with more experience than you with you to help you navigate the local shops. You barely did your own personal inspection. You acted out of desperation to get your hands on the phone....and you definitely paid the price for it.

I'm not against supporting local vendors, but certain products you can't be too careful, especially as a tourist. Warranty service is important to me with the smartphones (on new items), especially because I am not always near a repair shop locally. The last thing you want to hear is that your phone cannot be serviced after paying almost $700 for it. Chalk it up to the school of hard knocks. Your class was just one of the more expensive ones. Maybe you're not completely out of your money....maybe a local shop can fix it cheaper? You never mentioned the list of stuff broken, although it appears some major internal parts.

but Apple also provide a crap phone that is overpriced for what it is....at least i think so.... but i agree that IF you have a phone the Manufacturer should repair it under warranty..OP have you tried another Samsung service centre.

The OP's problem is that he did not purchase a genuine samsung phone. Or not from a genuine dealer. But maybe he'll get lucky at another repair center?

Edited by 4evermaat

Classic rookie mistake. It happens to many of us when we first come over;

Problem is, I've lived in Thailand for 8 years and always had the latest and greatest phone (iPhones not applicable)... this is why I am kicking myself over itbiggrin.png

I really thought that anyone who could afford the rent in a place like Central Beach Mall and has 16 stores nationwide in every big mall has to be trustworthy...Doh!

That kind of deceitful practice is not allowed any more particularly by high-end retailers in prestigious shopping centres and you should do yourself a favour and contact these people if you haven't already done so. Don't let them get away with this mad.gif

http://www.ocpb.go.th/

Believe me they follow up everything

That is great, thanks for that!

That kind of deceitful practice is not allowed any more particularly by high-end retailers in prestigious shopping centres and you should do yourself a favour and contact these people if you haven't already done so. Don't let them get away with this mad.gif

That is great, thanks for that!

No problem. Please come back and tell us how you get on

Insure it and drop it down the gary glitter.

I hope you are joking?

If someone from the insurance company happens to have read this thread or hears about this incident some other way then the OP could be up for insurance fraud

not a very bright suggestion

ermm.gif

What are the criminal penalties concerning criminal fraud?

For a person who has committed fraud in Thailand, he/she may be punished with imprisonment from a maximum of three years to seven years depending on the circumstances of the case.

Edited by Asiantravel

Except it seems Samsung is (as you put it so elegantly) crap from this little story laugh.png

• Like 1

Problem is, I've lived in Thailand for 8 years and always had the latest and greatest phone (iPhones not applicable)... this is why I am kicking myself over itbiggrin.png

I really thought that anyone who could afford the rent in a place like Central Beach Mall and has 16 stores nationwide in every big mall has to be trustworthy...Doh!

Yep....emotionalism can get to us all if we are not careful. Personally I wouldn't care if they had 100 locations in thailand. If the main legit location is sold out, you go to the second closest legit location. There are many within a 5 km radius or so.

I remember I bought a samsung phone for my ex-gf at a mom/pop shop. I think it was 2000 baht or so. I bought it the night before (I was the last customer). The following day in the morning we went to see if we could exchange it for a different phone (a more expensive one). The plastic and everything was still intact. NOPE. I don't blame them for not allowing me to return/exchange it, but I figured since then (and another voluntary experiment buying a chinese java phone) there was really no point in buying a phone (especially a smartphone) from a non-major retailer or authorized distributor.

Things do happen for a reason. maybe the galaxy s advance will suit you just fine?

That kind of deceitful practice is not allowed any more particularly by high-end retailers in prestigious shopping centres and you should do yourself a favor and contact these people if you haven't already done so. Don't let them get away with this mad.gif

In other words it is not a waste of your time!

if you explain everything that has happened as you have done here I think there is a pretty good chance the OCPB would force the retailer to refund your money and I have noticed businesses are pretty scared of this outfitsmile.png

Never heard of this solution. I'm having a hard enough time getting my money back from a legit thai company. I'm very curious to see if OP does follow up with this suggestion.

Except it seems Samsung is (as you put it so elegantly) crap from this little story laugh.png

You will get no arguments from me about that. No Os updates on some 2011 phones when other manufacturers manage. Yes. Samsung are crap as well. But at least not over priced crap. :D:D:D:D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Edited by thaicbr

^ And a copper as well. How dumb can you get?

Going back to the OP, who said:

"I was not stupid (or so I thought), I waited for the Galaxy S3 to be officially launched in Thailand before I bought one, I did not want a grey import as I know these have warranty issues."

You would have thought a simple look at the packaging might have given the game away? Or did they shove in the Thai quick guide and change the phone language?

Apple provides international warranty and replacement while samsung doesnt

That's not fully true.

For Samsung in Thailand it depends of products. Some have a Thailand-only warranty while some others have an International warranty. I suppose one way to keep prices lower. In Europe, USA and many countries Samsung do provide a International warranty for all its products. I had a problem with a nearly 2 years old netbook bought in France and had no problem to have it repaired for free at the Samsung Customers service place near Bangkok-Pattaya-Hospital.

For Apple I don't know, but would not be surprise if they don't have the International warranty in some countries too.

Edited by Pattaya46

These scams are quite common, even at reputable shops. Sometimes it's the staff who does the scam, and when a Farang appears, chances are good he will not notice. Last time when I bought an expensive camera, the scammer was full of smiles and even shook my hands after the deal. It was a used camera, what I found out later.

Because of that I avoid buying electronics in Thailand. You can never be sure you will not be scammed. The trick with the handwritten receipt should make your alarm bells ring. But even with a normal receipt they can scam you.

^^ I suppose you can be scammed anywhere, although it might be more likely in some places than others.

I remember buying a juicer at Siam Paragon (and several electronics elsewhere) and I noticed all the retailers will open the box right there after you purchase and fill out the warranty card. This is much different than in the USA where you typically buy purchases sealed until you go home. You just would never think that the box would be filled with rocks. But I guess here, they want to be sure. I watch carefully to see the whole transaction through. Most manufacturers will have a location tracker of their authorized repair or retail stores. Other than careful inspection and buying from reputable shops, I don't think any consumer can do more than that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear your Samsung experience. After a short while the phone will start shutting off randomly so you can't trust it as a phone anyhow.You will likley then leave it at home as I do and take your old Nokia so you have a phone that works and just forget about the $700. Mine wasn't a grey phone but they can't seem to fix it and of course no refund From Tellewiz

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App