Ngwe Saung & Chaungtha Beaches - Any Good Hotels?

SeaVisionBurma

It has been quite a number of years since I went down to Chaungtha Beach (the trip there was a story in itself back then)...

Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience down that way, and could possibly recommend some cheap but comfortable beachside bungalows/resorts?

Also an idea of what the journey there from Yangon entails now (car hire, buses, time/cost, etc) would be appreciated

Thanks

SVB

Tried to find Chaungtha Beach using google earth but to no avail.

Can you please give some hints on the location ?

I'm guessing you haven't been there then?

Its directly due west of Yangon on the Pathein/Ayeyarwaddy coast....

Chaungtha is a little north of Ngwe Saung.

Let me know if you want me to post a screenshot from google maps/earth

Hoping to get some advice from anybody who has been there in the past 1-2 years....

Tried to find Chaungtha Beach using google earth but to no avail.

Can you please give some hints on the location ?

I'm guessing you haven't been there then?

Its directly due west of Yangon on the Pathein/Ayeyarwaddy coast....

Chaungtha is a little north of Ngwe Saung.

Let me know if you want me to post a screenshot from google maps/earth

Hoping to get some advice from anybody who has been there in the past 1-2 years....

Thank you for the info. No, I haven't been there but I have a general interest.

Regards....

I haven't been for a couple of years but my favourite is Palm Beach Resort at Ngwe Saung, I've stayed there a few times. It never used to attract the tour groups was the primary reason we went. As far as rates go it wasn't the cheapest, but certainly not the most expensive as I recall.

I've always driven myself in the past, but it was mentioned to me the other day that the bus lines are charging Ks6,000 to get there now, but that may well be something that is only applicable to locals.

Ngwe Saung is a far superior beach to Chaungtha by the way, and I would go further and say that Ngapali is the best, but awkward (and expensive) to get to.

For Halfaboy, copy and paste the following into Google Earth if you still haven't located it:- 16°51'22.68"N 94°23'27.76"E

• Like 1

I am heading to Ngwe Saung & surrounds later this week, will provide some kind of a trip report when I get back...

DagonKhan - we're hiring a minibus to go down there as a group, but I may be coming back by that local bus if I can find it - thanks for the tips

DagonKhan - we're hiring a minibus to go down there as a group, but I may be coming back by that local bus if I can find it - thanks for the tips

Just a thought, can the hotel not help with transport? Traditionally, and I believe it's still the case, they've always had a problem attracting guests because of the lack of transport. Many of them have their own minibus' or small buses that run to their resort, some I believe have teamed up with neighbouring resorts. There is an additional charge. They're normally quite nice, aircon etc.

I'm guessing if you hire a minibus privately it will be expensive, even if you share the cost.

Should be quiet for you, I doubt many people will be there at this time of year.thumbsup.gif

Should be quiet for you, I doubt many people will be there at this time of year.thumbsup.gif

Here's hoping...... quiet = excellent timing....smile.png

Found some more info on local buses...

Asia Dragon Express apparently has buses leaving from Pansodan near the Panorama Hotel. Cost around 20,000ks for a return, open ticket. Daily departures.

Local buses from Hlaing Tharyar around 6,000 ks one way, as you had referred to earlier. 5 hour trip, departures from 0700-1400.

Will be good to give it a test run.

Here's hoping...... quiet = excellent timing....smile.png

Normally the season kicks off at Thadingyut and that isn't until the end of this month. That would be a good time to avoid the beaches as hundreds of the wealthier Burmese go... along with their speakers and amplifiers which they play until 4 a.m.....sad.png

We took Asia Dragon in the end - aircon bus. Left Yangon just after 2100, arrived to Ngwe Saung 03.45

Pick up point was Dagon Centre II on Pyay Road in Myaynigone (near the Bargaryar Junction, always liked that name)

Sitting in a net cafe/office at the moment, good internet but its 4,000 kyats per hour.

The girl who runs it goes by the name "Love Snow White" - her parents were huge Disney fans I guess......

Staying at Shwe Hin Tha resort, towards the southern end of Ngwe Saung. Price wise it is the best of everywhere we've looked so far. $35 for a beachfront unit, but the bargain is a $20 bungalow for 2 persons including breakfast.

I'll do a decent trip report for both Ngwe Saung and Chaungtha some time after I get back, later this month.

• Like 1