Unsafe / Safe Districts In Chiang Mai

2BWellTravelled

Hi - wondering if you well travelled folks may be able to assist.

I'm travelling in November to Chiang Mai with my adult daughter. We will be staying 5 nights. Is there any districts we should not be staying in? I gather from most posts that common sense (lol) is the best precaution but just wanted to know if there is anywhere we should stay away from.

Also any info on what we definitely should see would be welcome.

Thanks so much.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiang mai is generally a very safe place, especially for tourist. but as you said, common sense. Walking down a Loy Kroh soi at 4am, completely drunk is not a good place to be (physically or metaphysically). Other than times of complete lack of common sense, you and your daughter should be fine.

Chiang mai is generally a very safe place, especially for tourist. but as you said, common sense. Walking down a Loy Kroh soi at 4am, completely drunk is not a good place to be (physically or metaphysically). Other than times of complete lack of common sense, you and your daughter should be fine.

At least there is no moat along Loi Kroh. Use to be that all the bars catering to ex-pats were along the eastern moat.

At least there is no moat along Loi Kroh. Use to be that all the bars catering to ex-pats were along the eastern moat.

I don't know why people defend Loy Kroh, it's full of prostitutes, dangerous lady boys and degenerates in general and that's long before 4:00 am

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with walking down Loy Kroh at any time, I have seen families walking by all the time on the few occasions I have been there.

Lighten up.

You could always get your sandwich board out and march up and down Loy Kroh decrying all the "degenirates" as you called them. Why are the ladyboys dangerous? Have you ever heard of a crime commited against a Farang in that street by a Ladyboy? Prostitutes? So what? You sound very evangelical.

In fact, I am stumped thinking where anyone would feel cause to feel they should not be somewhere in CM at any time.

I have yes, many times and I'm not even remotely religious in fact I am anti-religious and pro science but to each his own. Not only have I heard of crimes committed against foreigners I have heard of crimes committed by foreigners I also know of a man that was gang raped by lady boys and robbed. So, as I said I don't know why people defend it.

The OP asked a simple question CMSteve mentioned Loy Kroh is undesirable I expanded on it and agreed so if you have a different opinion don't be an ass and call me names just say so.

Edited by Anonymous1713

There is nothing wrong with walking down Loy Kroh at any time, I have seen families walking by all the time on the few occasions I have been there.

Lighten up.

You could always get your sandwich board out and march up and down Loy Kroh decrying all the "degenirates" as you called them. Why are the ladyboys dangerous? Have you ever heard of a crime commited against a Farang in that street by a Ladyboy? Prostitutes? So what? You sound very evangelical.

In fact, I am stumped thinking where anyone would feel cause to feel they should not be somewhere in CM at any time.

I have yes, many times and I'm not even remotely religious in fact I am anti-religious and pro science but to each his own. Not only have I heard of crimes committed against foreigners I have heard of crimes committed by foreigners I also know of a man that was gang raped by lady boys and robbed. So, as I said I don't know why people defend it.

The OP asked a simple question CMSteve mentioned Loy Kroh is undesirable I expanded on it and agreed so if you have a different opinion don't be an ass and call me names just say so.

Why would they gang rape somebody when really, at worst, they just want his phone and wallet? Hard to imagine but hey, you hear of stuff happening.

Why are the ladyboys dangerous? Have you ever heard of a crime commited against a Farang in that street by a Ladyboy?

Many of them are jacked up on yaabaa and will cut you and rob you.

I think Loy Kroh is undesirable as well not to mention the smell, I know a lot of people that live here that will not go to Loy Kroh Road. But other than that yeah, Chiang Mai is generally a very safe place as mentioned.

What does it smell of?

Must just be me but I loved strolling down Loi Kroh at any time of day and I never once felt in danger. Girls of the night work there so obviously you will get a few cat calls but that's as far as it went. I enjoyed my time there and will be returning soon, and will be again staying on Loi Kroh Road.

You're definitely not the only one who loves it. I wouldn't say I love it but I don't object to it. Loi Kroh is what it its; if you like what is there it's easy to find, if you don't like it then it's easy to avoid. If the OP and his daughter object to the sight of bars and prostitutes they should avoid Loi Kroh late at night, if they want to get a watered down look at Thailand as a sex tourist destination without going for the more overwhelming sections of Bangkok and Pataya, they can take a look.

The most dangerous places in Chiang Mai, and Thailand in general, are the roads, especially late at night when the normally bad drivers are drunk as well. But by using a little common sense most people manage to visit or live in Chiang Mai with very little trouble.

There have been a few second hand stories of people being accosted in areas of the old town late at night. The stories say that several Thais including a woman. confront a lone man or woman and rob them, or try a scam of the woman approaching the man and accusing him of taking her money. As I said only third hand to me never talked to the alleged victims.

Chiang Mai as far as I am concerned is very safe never a problem for me or that i am aware

You and your daughter come to Chiang Mai and have a good time, North of town in the mai sai valley is a Elephant Camp that put on eleaphant shows, as well as a Tiger show where you can hug the tigers. Plenty of day treks around shopping lots of wats to see especially around the old town. Have fun

Chiang Mai is not really any different from anywhere else, the risk of crime increases with the lateness of the day, the proximity to entertainment areas and the appearance and preparedness of the individual. The later the hour the higher the risk, Loi Kroh is probably higher risk than Chan Klan, a drunk or a vunerable person is higher risk than a strapping thirty year old oil rig worker from Dundee - cut your cloth accordingly. But generally speaking there are no truly off limits areas in CM that tourists should avoid, just a few streets where the risk increases in accordance with the above.

One does not need to go to East St. Louis to know it is the most dangerous city in the US, your argument is flawed and the other posters are correct you seem to have some interest to protect the red light district, I sure wouldn't take my daughters there. This is a nice thread for potential tourists to see how poorly the expats in Thailand behave.

I have had my hols in CM for about 5 years, up to two trips a month.

I have many friends who live there.

When my wife and I go shopping there, in our pickup, we leave the shopping sitting in the back, never had anything taken.

Once, one of our friends had a m/c helmet stolen off their bike while parked outside Airport Plaza.

Probably the safest city in the world.

While everybody is arguing about Loi Kroh (pretty sure you won't enjoy walking down there at night with your daughter), I'll try to make a broad suggestion. If you stay within the city walls you are pretty much good as far as location for heading out on foot or on any tours. There are plenty of hotels and guest houses in the range from hostels to boutique hotels. Moving outside the walls, I'd suggest consider places to the east of the walled city since you are still in areas that are of interest for walking. Prices vary but you can get a nice room with a/c and frig for $15 or less a night.

There are great places further out and to the east is the night bazaar road Chang Klan, which you can reach ironically with Loi Kroh from the walled city. I don't tend to spend much time there myself but a lot of people seem to like it.

To the west is a street called Niemenheiman (sp?) that has some nice places around it but you are not walking distance from the city if you want to hang out there. I'd really suggest being close to the walled area your first time just for convenience sake.

Depending on your budget and what you are looking for, you can find a wide range of places further out but then you get into the question of what you want to experience. There are wonderful resorts way out but you'll pay a whole lot more and probably be a bit stranded.

Edited by beb
  • Like 1

The point being that CM is safer than many cities, as is true for most Thai cities, the busy brightly lit areas full of vendors, foot massage, bars, travel agencies are safe ! The fact that some are "in the trade" is of no concern to those not involved. I like those areas because they represent freedom, a concept that is hard for some to accept. I have no financial interest in any "red light" opperation but I do have an interest in personal freedoms. I like street theatre, to me, Loi Krogh, has some fun people watching, much more interesting than the Nimman area.

• Like 2

My advice to the OP would be to ignore all the bickering on this thread about Loy Kroh Road. Why go there? Chiang Mai has plenty of nice areas to stay. Head for the Nimmanheminda Road Area (Kantary Hills Hotel is very nice), plenty of chic modern restaurants, coffee shops, and bars in all the sois around there. Few western tourists, no trouble, no touts/scammers, no whores and above all, no whingeing ex-pats tongue.png

You can take a Sunday evening tuk-tuk trip to walking street market, wander round Thapae gate, and down to the night bazaar, enjoy some food and get home before the demons arrive on the streets w00t.gif . Add a day time trip to the old city temples and lunch by the river - then you'll have pretty much covered what's left seeing in the touristy part of town anyway.

• Like 2

I am a female expat in Chiang Mai OP, so regarding your daughter, i think you (and she) has little to be concerned about. For months at a time i am living on my own (partner works away), and do a lot of things on my own and have never felt threatened or concerned. I dont do the night thing much, but when i do, i just use common sense and caution. I dont go to bars alone, or walk around unfamiliar dark sois ..that kind of thing.

Personally i think Nimmenheimen/kad suan kaew way is a good place to be, both for staying in, and general living. Has nice accomodations, nice people, and nice places to have coffee/eat/drink etc. Can get your barings and explore a bit more after that.

Hope the squabbling hasnt dissuaded you from staying a member here!

• Like 2

I don't know why people defend Loy Kroh, it's full of prostitutes, dangerous lady boys and degenerates in general and that's long before 4:00 am

Chiang Mai is one of the safest tourist destinations in Thailand.

I certainly would not worry about the Loi Kroh road, as most of what used to be the adult entertainment sector has been closed down or is imposed to close early. Most of the nightlife scene of Chiang Mai has been shut down and walking around the town during the late hours is similar to being in a sleepy English village on a Sunday night and is perfectly safe. Outside the main town there is virtually nothing to see and able to stroll around in complete safety, so what districts you choose to stay in is all much of the same.

As for what to see, I can’t think of anything to recommend. You may find that a 5-day stay is too long and boring. I would suggest booking your hotel for one night at a time rather than committing yourself to staying for a whole 5 days.