Unsafe / Safe Districts In Chiang Mai

2BWellTravelled

Chiang mai is generally a very safe place, especially for tourist. but as you said, common sense. Walking down a Loy Kroh soi at 4am, completely drunk is not a good place to be (physically or metaphysically). Other than times of complete lack of common sense, you and your daughter should be fine.

At least there is no moat along Loi Kroh. Use to be that all the bars catering to ex-pats were along the eastern moat.

I don't know why people defend Loy Kroh, it's full of prostitutes, dangerous lady boys and degenerates in general and that's long before 4:00 am

Chiang Mai is one of the safest tourist destinations in Thailand.

I certainly would not worry about the Loi Kroh road, as most of what used to be the adult entertainment sector has been closed down or is imposed to close early. Most of the nightlife scene of Chiang Mai has been shut down and walking around the town during the late hours is similar to being in a sleepy English village on a Sunday night and is perfectly safe. Outside the main town there is virtually nothing to see and able to stroll around in complete safety, so what districts you choose to stay in is all much of the same.

As for what to see, I can’t think of anything to recommend. You may find that a 5-day stay is too long and boring. I would suggest booking your hotel for one night at a time rather than committing yourself to staying for a whole 5 days.

This has certainly opened the way for 'the greatest city on earth' crew. rolleyes.gifwink.png

Edited by uptheos

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the others. Chiang Mai is very safe. If you are out, drunk at 4:00 A.M., looking for trouble and happen to be in Santitham or on the dark sois in the vicinity of Soi Loy Kroh, you stand a better chance of finding trouble there. And I might add that it could well be another farang that will make that trouble for you.

I doubt that the OP and his daughter fit the bill.

• Like 2

I am Thai and I do not go there and neither does anyone I know and most Thai people do not like the kind of people there. If you want to find trouble go there if you want to know the truth about this street ask any Thai person this is the red light district. The people that defend it has the business there or the friend with the business. The place is dirty and the food is unsafe you can see the rats run in the street and the roaches. If you do not see the government safe food sign do not eat.

Of course there are no rats or cockroaches anywhere else in chiang mai whistling.gif There are some nice places to eat there, Chez Marco and the Olde Bell for example. But to the OP i would recommend hellodolly's post, loads of places to see in chiang mai, i've never once felt unsafe anywhere in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

As for what to see, I can’t think of anything to recommend. You may find that a 5-day stay is too long and boring. I would suggest booking your hotel for one night at a time rather than committing yourself to staying for a whole 5 days.

We're entering high season so I wouldn't suggest winging it on accommodations. I'm sure you'll be able to book something but you could find yourself in a situation where you're looking around. It's happened to me before when I rolled in without a room during high season and had to stay at one place for a couple of days and look for another because they had other people pre-booked.

Most of you hate Thai people don't you? And you think you know better don't you? Well he's correct the only corruption is coming from bad advice on this forum. Wow what a bunch of idiots!

What are you on, I think you need to cut back a bit there. I haven't seen anyone making any commit that they hate Thai people here. Whats interesting the advice you call bad is the advice you do not like. Pull your horns in there a bit everyone here has their opinion and many you will not agree with and you should attack the opinon not the people who make them.

I am Thai and I do not go there and neither does anyone I know and most Thai people do not like the kind of people there. If you want to find trouble go there if you want to know the truth about this street ask any Thai person this is the red light district. The people that defend it has the business there or the friend with the business. The place is dirty and the food is unsafe you can see the rats run in the street and the roaches. If you do not see the government safe food sign do not eat.

Of course there are no rats or cockroaches anywhere else in chiang mai whistling.gif There are some nice places to eat there, Chez Marco and the Olde Bell for example. But to the OP i would recommend hellodolly's post, loads of places to see in chiang mai, i've never once felt unsafe anywhere in Chiang Mai.

Agree with this. Nobody comes to CM for the food.

I second eek's comment and suggestions. I live just off of Huay Kaew Road, about 500m NW of the Old City moat. It's a nice area. It's a bit quieter and, IMO, nicer than the big touristy/backpacker area in the east/southeast part of the city. A number of decent restaurants along Huay Kaew and also in Kad Suan Kaew shopping center. All within walking distance. There's also a Top Foods Supermarket in Kad Suan Kaew for stuff you might want for your fridge. When you want to travel over to the the touristy area, it's easy to catch a song-theow (baht-bus). Just wave one down and say "pratoo tha-pae" (Tha Phae Gate). 20 baht per person.

Further NW along Huay Kaew and you turn left onto Nimmanhaemin Road. Lots of restaurants, coffee shops, bakery shops, etc there. I go to a gym in a soi off of Nimmanhaemin and walk there and back pretty much every day. No problems at all. The whole area is pretty much the opposite scene from Pattaya/Phuket! There are a number of decent hotels along Huay Kaew and Nimanhaemin also. Agoda can show you a number of them in differing price ranges.

What utter and complete rubbish from Mr. Doom and Gloom.

No problem. Please recommend what the OP can do during his 5 day visit in Chiang Mai? As that`s what the OP wishes to know because I honestly can`t think of anything.

Over to you.

You will hear people talking of the Nimmenheimen/kad suan kaew way area.

It to is a nice area but a more yuppy area. Not a lot to see in it. The trouble with people that push this area is they assume that you are just interested in coffee shops and other retail outlets. The night life can be a little more interesting but I suspect that is not what you are coming here for. If you are then Nimmenheimen can be a great choice. But to see the sites you are better off to locate in the old city. There you will be able to walk to many of them and find a lot of tourist information shops where you will be given more information than you can use in a month of sight seeing. Flight of the Gibbons, Sedgways (not sure of the spelling) Two wheel Gyro's to ride around on. four wheel off road vehicles and on it goes. But if no daytime life and a night time life is what you are looking for I definitely recommend Nimmenheimen.

What utter and complete rubbish from Mr. Doom and Gloom.

No problem. Please recommend what the OP can do during his 5 day visit in Chiang Mai? As that`s what the OP wishes to know because I honestly can`t think of anything.

Over to you.

See the post following your last post.

It to is a nice area but a more yuppy area. Not a lot to see in it. The trouble with people that push this area is they assume that you are just interested in coffee shops and other retail outlets. The night life can be a little more interesting but I suspect that is not what you are coming here for. If you are then Nimmenheimen can be a great choice. But to see the sites you are better off to locate in the old city. There you will be able to walk to many of them and find a lot of tourist information shops where you will be given more information than you can use in a month of sight seeing. Flight of the Gibbons, Sedgways (not sure of the spelling) Two wheel Gyro's to ride around on. four wheel off road vehicles and on it goes. But if no daytime life and a night time life is what you are looking for I definitely recommend Nimmenheimen.

Yuppy, perhaps twenty five years ago in the shires but never in 2012 in Chiang Mai. giggle.gif

yuppy meaning, young, upwardly moble people (I know, should have been yumps), still applies here, this may be the only area of the city with more cars than motorbikes. ...... so back to topic, Nimman can be a dangerous road to attemt to cross.

Over to you.

Trip to Mong village, visiting Wat Palaat, Doi Suthep, Puping Palace on the way.

Tiger Kingdom, get in a cage with a big tiger.

Long tailed boat trip down the river Ping.

1 day trek to Doi Inthanon including river rafting and Elephant ride in the jungle and river.

Lunch, a snooze and a swim at Huay Tung Tao lake

Walk through Huay Geow park to see the waterfalls and have a picnic.

Visit to wat Chedi Luang, or wat Umong, or wat Jet Yot.

Evening out drinks and dinner at the Thai 'rock bars' around Chang Puak lake.

Sunday evening at the walking street market.

Boat trip and lunch (overnight stay) on the Eckachai floating restaurant at the Mae Ngat lake in the SriLanna national park

Walk along the white sand river beach (and a swim) at Ob Khan National Park near Hang Dong.

Need any more?

Can you publish your price list also?

Most of the trips I suggested outside of town, about 200bht to hire a songtaw each way.

A little bit more for Ob Khan and Srilanna National park. Boat out to Ekachai 500bht return (added to the price of lunch/stay).

Forgot

Coffee/Smoothie/lunch at the Sala Cafe a traditional Lanna teak house in the mountains behind Mae Rim.

(110bht each for drink and lunch, very popular with wealthy Thais, free wi-fi, beautiful gardens and views)

Elephant Show, monkey place, snake place, orchid place out at Mae Rim near the Tiger Kingdom.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Most of the trips I suggested outside of town, about 200bht to hire a songtaw each way.

A little bit more for Ob Khan and Srilanna National park. Boat out to Ekachai 500bht return (added to the price of lunch/stay).

Forgot

Coffee/Smoothie/lunch at the Sala Cafe a traditional Lanna teak house in the mountains behind Mae Rim.

(110bht each for drink and lunch, very popular with wealthy Thais)

Elephant Show, monkey place, snake place, orchid place out at Mae Rim near the Tiger Kingdom.

Trekking, rock climbing, rafting, hiking, riding motorcycles out into the country on your own, eating great food at ridiculously low prices etc. etc, etc.

When I was in the Air Force I was stationed in Pensacola, FL, Italy, Denver, CO and Phoenix, AZ and in every one of those places we had guys who laid around the barracks all weekend complaining that there was nothing to do. There's always something to do.

• Like 2

I find nimmen nice because its not overtly touristy or overcrowded. Has a nice vibe imo. I like it also because its easy assess to major roads for motorbike riding, and I dont have to cut through town traffic. Actually, if i want a coffee shop, i often head Tapae way, for the sheer comic value (most fun place for people watching). I lead an extremely active and busy life, so a nice area where its not rowdy or overrun with tailor shops etc, and where im not just seen as "farang" feels good. Personally dont want nighclubs on my doorstep, and prefer to head out of the area i live when i want that. Im not a pub person, so dont do the evening thing much..its more of a quiet wine bar, or dinner, or the occasional a out until the early hours clubbing. So, yeh, maybe yeh, could be right, mabye it doesnt have enough for tourists only staying 5 days. Im just not really into the typical tourist thing, even when a tourist, so i guess i didnt think with that mentality.

Forgot

(110bht each for drink and lunch, very popular with wealthy Thais)

Trekking, rock climbing, rafting, hiking, riding motorcycles out into the country on your own, eating great food at ridiculously low prices etc. etc, etc.

When I was in the Air Force I was stationed in Pensacola, FL, Italy, Denver, CO and Phoenix, AZ and in every one of those places we had guys who laid around the barracks all weekend complaining that there was nothing to do. There's always something to do.

All down to what you find interesting and your mindset. Some people want to sit and be entertained, others go out and create their own. Neither way bad. Just personal preference. :D I like to make my own!

I find nimmen nice because its not overtly touristy or overcrowded. Has a nice vibe imo. I like it also because its easy assess to major roads for motorbike riding, and I dont have to cut through town traffic. Actually, if i want a coffee shop, i often head Tapae way, for the sheer comic value (most fun place for people watching). I lead an extremely active and busy life, so a nice area where its not rowdy or overrun with tailor shops etc, and where im not just seen as "farang" feels good. Personally dont want nighclubs on my doorstep, and prefer to head out of the area i live when i want that. Im not a pub person, so dont do the evening thing much..its more of a quiet wine bar, or dinner, or the occasional a out until the early hours clubbing. So, yeh, maybe yeh, could be right, mabye it doesnt have enough for tourists only staying 5 days. Im just not really into the typical tourist thing, even when a tourist, so i guess i didnt think with that mentality.

Yes nice to sit on the second floor of the Starbucks at Thai Pa Gate and people watch. As I have said earlier and the list goes on.

I spend 8 weeks in Chiang Mai spread over 2 visits every year and will myself be there in November staying with a married friend. I have never felt threatened in any location and while people denegrate Loi Kroh Road I must say that I am a regular at The Olde Bell British pub situated there and am quite amused at the antics of the bar girls trying to entice you into the numerous drinking establishments. If you and your daughter are broad minded then I am sure you will be similarly amused.

Chiang Mai has very many sights worth looking at but you won't be able to see them all in 5 days. My bet is you will want to come back.

Enjoy your stay.

• Like 2

"I also know of a man that was gang raped by lady boys and robbed"

And this was just a 'normal' bloke, minding his own business and not involved in a bit of 'ladyboy' action??

Sorry, don't buy it!

He's a troll who just got banned, along with his "Thai" alter-ego. Best to ignore the bait.

On Nimmanhaemin: Good, trendy area for residents, but for a leisure trip where you want to see stuff it's just miles away from what Chiang Mai is all about, which is inside the old town, and the area towards the river.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Oh well 2bewelltravelled,

There is plenty of good advice for you here and I can see the only problem you will have is if you start chatting to a nutjob from thaivisa (too many to quote) in a bar. It only took 4 or 5 replies this time (albeit well meaning replies), usually it takes a while longer but this time the gang rape stories were posted pretty quick and fast.

The truth is Chiang Mai is safe at all times because its actually one big experiment on how to operate the worlds biggest open air lunatic asylum. It even has its own Area 51 where they spray mind control smoke into the atmosphere when the population start driving normal. Going by some of these posts they must have sprayed not long ago.

Also if you are in Big C, adopt a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy when one of the undercover Area 51 agents ask 'Are you Christian?' Just reply with a question about the subway system.

Anyway, by the time you get here you'll find the place quite relaxed and enjoyable. My 2 cents worth, stay inside the moat and taxi outside it if need be. On at least one day get out for a walk early and see how the locals go about their business, take your camera as well and start at Chiang Mai gate markets heading north. Loads of Monks giving blessings to the poeple as well.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Well done.

Seems that the bickering over Loi Kroh has driven the OP away and now he will miss out on any useful advice that TV may have been able to provide.

On the upside, at least the Loi Kroh argument was aired - again.