Unsafe / Safe Districts In Chiang Mai

2BWellTravelled

Thailand or CM is much safer like many other places, if you don't ask for problems you will not get one, enjoy and relax

Not sure about that. The other day, my wife slapped me and I was not asking for problems crying.gif

So you say! laugh.png

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand or CM is much safer like many other places, if you don't ask for problems you will not get one, enjoy and relax

Not sure about that. The other day, my wife slapped me and I was not asking for problems crying.gif

So you say! laugh.png

The correct response to "what's on the Television?" is not "dust"...

• Like 1

Chiang mai is generally a very safe place, especially for tourist. but as you said, common sense. Walking down a Loy Kroh soi at 4am, completely drunk is not a good place to be (physically or metaphysically). Other than times of complete lack of common sense, you and your daughter should be fine.

At least there is no moat along Loi Kroh. Use to be that all the bars catering to ex-pats were along the eastern moat.

I don't know why people defend Loy Kroh, it's full of prostitutes, dangerous lady boys and degenerates in general and that's long before 4:00 am

. Then don't go there but leave the degenerates alone. They don't come to your place of relaxation to complain about it being there.

Not asking for problems.. Married her, didn't you? wink.png

Yes I did, take warning, don't follow suit. tongue.png

What have we done? After all that talk of the evil depths of Loi Kroh and upwards of seventy replies the OP (single poster) is too frightened even to drop by with a note of acknowledgement.

Considering the response he got, he likely thinks there is no point acknowledging.

I know many friends who posted a simple question and, based on the replies, did not bother logging back in again. My own partner included. He posted a simple question a couple of years back, and members launched in, so said it wasnt worth his time to be a member here, as not constructive. As i use the computer a lot, thaivisa can be a fun distraction. I also stuck with it, and HAVE received many helpful replies. I have also at times been guilty of sarcasm with some opening posts. I do understand most new members might find some members and replies an instant turn off, not bother to come back, and will look for a forum more pleasant.

• Like 1

What have we done? After all that talk of the evil depths of Loi Kroh and upwards of seventy replies the OP (single poster) is too frightened even to drop by with a note of acknowledgement.

Considering the response he got, he likely thinks there is no point acknowledging.

I know many friends who posted a simple question and, based on the replies, did not bother logging back in again. My own partner included. He posted a simple question a couple of years back, and members launched in, so said it wasnt worth his time to be a member here, as not constructive. As i use the computer a lot, thaivisa can be a fun distraction. I also stuck with it, and HAVE received many helpful replies. I have also at times been guilty of sarcasm with some opening posts. I do understand most new members might find some members and replies an instant turn off, not bother to come back, and will look for a forum more pleasant.

A filtering process like boot camp or probation, some don't have what it takes and wash out, a select few go on to become ...... ?

All down to what you find interesting and your mindset. Some people want to sit and be entertained, others go out and create their own. Neither way bad. Just personal preference. biggrin.png I like to make my own!

Now I'm constantly on the look out for a female masticating yoghurt eater with a spoon.

• Like 1

Good point's eek to each their own and rightly so. The OP did log back in. After a lot of negativity I put up a positive post in which he checked the I like it. There actually was a lot of good posts as well as a heck of a lot of negative one's. But the OP got the idea that their was unlimited opportunities for a 5 day stay with his doughter.

• Like 1

No real no-go areas, but just take a tuk-tuk late at night if unsure. Commonsense prevails; don't carry around loads of cash or wear jewellery Mr T style, look like you know where you're going, and have daughter cover shoulders and knees.

The place is dirty and the food is unsafe you can see the rats run in the street and the roaches.

To be fair you can see that in any street in Thailand. whistling.gif In any case, I'd feel more uneasy walking around CM Land that time of night or anywhere that has a string of karaoke joints.

No real no-go areas, but just take a tuk-tuk late at night if unsure. Commonsense prevails; don't carry around loads of cash or wear jewellery Mr T style, look like you know where you're going, and have daughter cover shoulders and knees.

The place is dirty and the food is unsafe you can see the rats run in the street and the roaches.

To be fair you can see that in any street in Thailand. whistling.gif In any case, I'd feel more uneasy walking around CM Land that time of night or anywhere that has a string of karaoke joints.

Indeed. On a couple of occasions while dining in Bangkok, I have seen rats the size of cats walk right past my feet. I'm sure every restaurant in Thailand has cockroaches. Furthermore to be fair, If you go down dark alleys behind restaurants in Beverly Hills, California on trash night, you will see some of the largest rats you will see in your lifetime.

Indeed. On a couple of occasions while dining in Bangkok, I have seen rats the size of cats walk right past my feet. I'm sure every restaurant in Thailand has cockroaches. Furthermore to be fair, If you go down dark alleys behind restaurants in Beverly Hills, California on trash night, you will see some of the largest rats you will see in your lifetime.

They say that when walking anywhere on the streets in the City of London you are never more than ten feet away from at least 1,000 rats - please, no banker jokes.

I remember my first days in Chiang Mai after living in Phuket. I walked down Loi Kroh with my friend and we didn't even realize that it was the red light district of town.

In an earlier post I said Loi Kroh offers a watered down view of sex tourism in Thailand. However when I compare Loi Kroh with my memories of Bangla road in Patong I realize Loi Kroh is nothing.

I remember my first days in Chiang Mai after living in Phuket. I walked down Loi Kroh with my friend and we didn't even realize that it was the red light district of town.

In an earlier post I said Loi Kroh offers a watered down view of sex tourism in Thailand. However when I compare Loi Kroh with my memories of Bangla road in Patong I realize Loi Kroh is nothing.

Indeed I went to Soi Bangla recently and it has taken on a whole new atmosphere from when I was there years ago. Now it is about 25% Russian run, including Russian prostitutes holding signs advertising their brothels.

Hi everyone

Well I am totally overwhelmed - thank you so much for the information! I have been in Sydney for the last few days at one of those conferences that leaves your head feeling like your brain has been sucked out, stomped a bit, then returned to its original position.

Logged in as soon as i could to the forum to be delighted to see 4 pages of responses and what seems to be a terrific argument to boot.

....just a quick to let you know - I'm Mum with daughter (should have made that one clear - sorry).

I've gleaned so much from your suggestions, I now have list of things to check out.

Special mentions - huge thanks to hello dolly, beb, paagai, eek (not dissuaded at all, thanks for your input from the female perspective), TommoPhysicist (great list - thanks), chaophraya49, 2020. I'm sure I have missed a few others I meant to mention - really appreciate your input.

Justmaybe - hopefully my explanation above explains my tardy response :-)

I really can't imagine my daughter and I hanging out in pubs or bars till the wee small hours , so I daresay the evening trade won't be too much of an issue for us. Definitely not couch potatoes - but what can I say, yes definitely tourists. I will be walking around with a camera, looking like a deer caught in the headlights, but assuredly loving every minute of the adventure. We both enjoy getting to know the culture and understanding more of the people when somewhere - as much as you can in such a short period of time.

I did survive the streets of Kathmandu early this year, so hopefully I'm still well practised in crossing the roads with my body still intact by the time I get to the other side.

Again, thanks so much for your help.

• Like 2

I though the rats were part of the entertainment in many places.whistling.gif

Recently at a local restaurant, our table was right by a spirit house, which had a miniature ladder in front of it. To our amazement this rat comes along, climbs the ladder and sat on the spirit house table eating the offerings. It was quite oblivious to our presence and stayed there for about ten minutes. Once it had it's fill it calmly climbed back down the ladder. I have the pics somewhere; it wasn't even scared off by the flash.

I believe you but I sure would like to see the picture. It sounds like a classic.

2BWellTravelled, wish you both a lovely trip and hope it will be a memorable visit.

If you have any questions during your trip, tag them on..im sure we will do our best to advise, or debate! laugh.png

Best of luck!

Edited by eek
  • Like 1

I think it got its reputation mainly from people that have never been to a red light district.

A few prossies past their use by date, shouting hansum man, hardly makes it De Wallen, Reeperbahn or Patpong

I am not sure, I stubbled into a rough little street one time, I don't know the name.

The scariest thing that ever happend to me in Chiang Mai was one time I was really drunk at a bar and the owner made me get in a cab and not walk home, and told me if I don't someone might bang me over the head and rob me. I

The scariest thing that ever happend to me in Chiang Mai was one time I was really drunk at a bar and the owner made me get in a cab and not walk home, and told me if I don't someone might bang me over the head and rob me. I

Well, if you were really drunk they might, the same as any other place in the world late at night.

Or was this in the afternoon? rolleyes.gif