Thai Language Course With Education Visa At Thai University?

Vale Tudo

Does anyone know if this exists,I don't want a full-time super-intensive course but rather a 4 or 5 hour,twice a week course,spread over 12 months with the Education Visa thrown in.

Unlike most I am genuinely interested in learning the Thai language to the best of my abilities,I'd rather be in a Thai University setting as I think it would be much more fun and far more conducive to learning.Than being stuck in a classroom around Nana somewhere,surrounded by fat old farangs in wife beaters and thongs with Chang condoms for pencil holders!w00t.gif

Therefore I'm actually looking for a good and productive course,on campus at somewhere like Chulalongkorn.If somebody could help me out here I would be eternally grateful and promise to post a thread about the whole experience,from the cradle to the grave!

Thanks in advance.wai.gif

Might help if you state the city you are looking a university in, although it seems you are talking about Bangkok.

I believe AUA does a decent job, but choose not to assist students with ED-visa's (to keep the unmotivated out).

Yes,I'm based in Bangkok.So AUA is a NO then,as the thread clearly states 'with Education Visa'?thumbsup.gif

The problem is a bit that you only want to study twice a week. This will almost automatically mean you'll end up in one of the education visa schools (that teach 4 hours per week).

If you study 20 hours per week, you'll meet very few farang that match with the profile you gave (although I don't understand why you don't want to study with fat or old people).

Most of the schools that teach 20 hours per week are full with Asians (Japanse and Korean) and you'll be most probably the only farang in the classroom. I have no idea why so few farang are joining this kind of school. (99% of the language schools provide visa services).

Every year around 200 people do the Thai language government test. In this group there are usually only 2 or 3 farang.

Are we too good? Too lazy? Too stupid? Or we don't like tests? Or we don't like to study? Or there are just less farang than Japanese here? I have no idea.

Looking at your initial post, I think it will be difficult for you to study in a group, because in a group there are always people slowing you down. You might want to follow private courses in one of the better schools. I think prices start around 400 or 500B/hour for a very experienced teacher.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

The best School for your purpose is probably "Language Express" located in Mahatun Building next to Ploenchit BTS

1) They teach "usable" Thai from the beginning on.

2) You will learn to read and write

3) You will practice and be able to identify correct tones

4) They have classes in the range of hours/week you desire

5) They will help you get your Educational Visa

6) Class size tend to be "ideally small" - Students are motivated (not there for the Ed Visa only)

I suggest you visit and ask for a sample lesson.

Also read comments on website "womenlearningthai".

Please note - I am not associated with any School (just experience) and neither ask for - nor receive any commission.

Edited by Parvis

Hey, don't knock all the Language Schools without seeing for yourself what they are like! How do you know they will be full of those kind of people? I have been at a language school called Pro Language for over 3 years and its nothing like that.

My class are all young business people, most are Japanese, one girl from Italy and I am from the UK (and not old or fat).

I think you need to keep an open mind about these things and actually go and see several schools and also the universities before you make your choice. I know so many people who have rushed into their choice and later regretted it and stopped studying - and yes, some went to a university!

Edited by jak2002003

I actually found the "old fat farangs" who attend School are typically serious about their studies - since in most cases they have no need for an Ed Visa - therefore they attend "by choice - not need". The "young whipper-snappers" often (but not always) work here illegally and are not really interested to even attend School (and often don't - they just pay for the "free" Ed Visa).

I have heard good reports about "Pro Language" and personally can certainly recommend "Language Express".

Edited by Parvis

The best School for your purpose is probably "Language Express" located in Mahatun Building next to Ploenchit BTS

1) They teach "usable" Thai from the beginning on.

2) You will learn to read and write

3) You will practice and be able to identify correct tones

4) They have classes in the range of hours/week you desire

5) They will help you get your Educational Visa

6) Class size tend to be "ideally small" - Students are motivated (not there for the Ed Visa only)

I suggest you visit and ask for a sample lesson.

Also read comments on website "womenlearningthai".

Please note - I am not associated with any School (just experience) and neither ask for - nor receive any commission.

With Language Express, you will find it very hard to understand the timetable, don't believe me? Then drop in and ask for one.

Might help if you state the city you are looking a university in, although it seems you are talking about Bangkok.

I believe AUA does a decent job, but choose not to assist students with ED-visa's (to keep the unmotivated out).

Quite incorrect.

AUA does indeed offer an ED visa for full-time students, which they define as 30 hr. or more per week. Having attended AUA in the past, I can only say that you will have a hard time sitting through 5-6 hours per day for the 2000 or so hours they estimate it will take you to achieve fluency.

Depending on your style of learning, it can be very effective, but very time-consuming. It is NOT a university environment, either. Classes are drop-in, whenever you feel like it, and most there will NOT be full time, so it's hard to get to know very many other students, or to study together - in fact, AUA discourages outside study.

But they DO offer the ED visa. You may verify it on their website. They have recently moved to Chimchurri Square from the Ratchadamri location, at the Sam Yan MRT exit 2.

The problem is a bit that you only want to study twice a week. This will almost automatically mean you'll end up in one of the education visa schools (that teach 4 hours per week).

If you study 20 hours per week, you'll meet very few farang that match with the profile you gave (although I don't understand why you don't want to study with fat or old people).

Most of the schools that teach 20 hours per week are full with Asians (Japanse and Korean) and you'll be most probably the only farang in the classroom. I have no idea why so few farang are joining this kind of school. (99% of the language schools provide visa services).

Every year around 200 people do the Thai language government test. In this group there are usually only 2 or 3 farang.

Are we too good? Too lazy? Too stupid? Or we don't like tests? Or we don't like to study? Or there are just less farang than Japanese here? I have no idea.

Looking at your initial post, I think it will be difficult for you to study in a group, because in a group there are always people slowing you down. You might want to follow private courses in one of the better schools. I think prices start around 400 or 500B/hour for a very experienced teacher.

One reason there are mostly Asian (Japanese/Korean mostly) students at these schools is that they are spouses of someone who is working here for a multinational, looking for something to do during the day. There are many more Japanese and Korean companies represented here, with their own nationals as workforce, than there are Europeans (I think).

there is nothing wrong with a lot of these schools nor for a person to use it as a means of staying ...lets remember a lot r elderly ...its hard to keep attention levels high ...i know a guy who is 70 years old ...he studies m w f from 12.30 till 2 and gets homework ..after a morning swim and brekky he does study for 45 mins on these days and for about an hour on alternate days and weekends ...he doesnt intend to read and write but wants to be able to hold a conversation ...he is doing well ..he admits he is an alcky but is slowly getting the gist of it ...its what i will be doing in a few years cheers

there is nothing wrong with a lot of these schools nor for a person to use it as a means of staying ...lets remember a lot r elderly ...its hard to keep attention levels high ...i know a guy who is 70 years old ...he studies m w f from 12.30 till 2 and gets homework ..after a morning swim and brekky he does study for 45 mins on these days and for about an hour on alternate days and weekends ...he doesnt intend to read and write but wants to be able to hold a conversation ...he is doing well ..he admits he is an alcky but is slowly getting the gist of it ...its what i will be doing in a few years cheers

What,becoming an Alcoholic?w00t.gif

What is the name of the Thai language government test ?

Website ?

Is there any preparation course for this exam ?

Thanks

What is the name of the Thai language government test ?

Website ?

Is there any preparation course for this exam ?

Thanks

http://bet.obec.go.t...g/th-th/bet/924

There are many school in BKK that have preparation courses.

In my opnion the level of a school can be measured by the number of student of that school that reach level 3, 4 or 5 on all skills of the test.

It takes about 6 to 9 months of studying (about 4 to 6 hours per day) for a beginner to reach a level on which a testing would be useful (level 3 or higher on all skills).

The test is on December 8.

You can apply until the end of this month.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

@ kriswilliems,

thanks for your answer

you say that "There are many school in BKK that have preparation courses "

I called prolanguage school they say they don't offer such preparation course.

What is the the name of school which offers governmen thai language exam in bkk?

Thanks

@ kriswilliems,

thanks for your answer

you say that "There are many school in BKK that have preparation courses "

I called prolanguage school they say they don't offer such preparation course.

What is the the name of school which offers governmen thai language exam in bkk?

Thanks

union, unity, piammitr, AAA thai language school, TLA, ...

The government organizes the exam. The schools just help you to prepare for it.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have no idea why so few farang are joining this kind of school. (99% of the language schools provide visa services).

I'm betting people who only want a course that expects people to attend 4-5 hours a week, are using this as a 'cover' for their extra-curricular activities, doesn't want other Falangs around as it reduces their chances of chatting up etc. the other younger students .... I'm looking forward to being proven wrong!