Farang In Blue

Taggart

“Stop! Thief!”

“Er…merde! What’s thief in Thai again?”

The possibilities of the Royal Thai Police’s latest initiative going wrong are endless. Virtually untrained foreigners, in uniform (complete with baton and handcuffs), out on the streets with all the appearance of authority, but in possession of none, conjures up all sorts of car wreck-esque scenarios.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/2006/feb06/30_fib.php

Virtually untrained foreigners, in uniform (complete with baton and handcuffs), out on the streets with all the appearance of authority, but in possession of none, conjures up all sorts of car wreck-esque scenarios.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/2006/feb06/30_fib.php

Talk about your Keystone Cops.

I would trust a Thai policeman long before one of these misfits. :o

These men and women are nòt there to fight crime, more to 'serve and control' the tourists who have questions, on which the Thai police have trouble to answer (due to lack of knowledge of the language). We also have German officers in Holland near the beaches in the summer, to control the German's. I think it's a great idea !

They dò fight crime though. From the page :

"Joel Khopang ... was in the station one day when a 23 year old man from England came in to report a lost camera. He signed the report after being warned numerous times that it was illegal to file a false report. Going on instinct, Joel and some tourist police went to the man’s hotel room only to find said camera tucked away in the cupboard. The judge handed the lying Brit a 30 day sentence."

Edited by FlyingDutchman

Talk about your Keystone Cops.

I would trust a Thai policeman long before one of these misfits. :D

Typical reaction from Ulysses G, of course you know every one of them to make a sweeping statement such as that. :D

I've seen the type too many times all over the world including Phuket and Pattaya.

Not a lot of quality law officers volunteer for this kind of "job". :o

These men and women are nòt there to fight crime, more to 'serve and control' the tourists who have questions, on which the Thai police have trouble to answer (due to lack of knowledge of the language). We also have German officers in Holland near the beaches in the summer, to control the German's. I think it's a great idea !

They dò fight crime though. From the page :

"Joel Khopang ... was in the station one day when a 23 year old man from England came in to report a lost camera. He signed the report after being warned numerous times that it was illegal to file a false report. Going on instinct, Joel and some tourist police went to the man’s hotel room only to find said camera tucked away in the cupboard. The judge handed the lying Brit a 30 day sentence."

I have signed on as a part time volunteer and, with some reservations, believe the scheme is worthwhile. Most of the volunteers are long term residents here who speak Thai and know Chiang Mai well. Their main brief is simply to help Non Thai visitors, (and locals), who are having difficulties. They answer questions such as "Where is the Hotel/guesthouse/toilet/pharmacy/bureau de change etc.?" They also act as go betweens and translators with the police in case of difficulties such as theft, assault etc. There will normally be a Thai speaking volunteer on duty at police stations and places like the airport etc. and many patrol police in tourist areas will be accompanied by a volunteer to assist non Thai speakers.

They have no powers of arrest, but must call the boys in brown to assist (and stay out of the way) if they come across crime in progress.

Overall the idea is good and the people who have volunteered are mostly genuine in their desire to help.

My reservations are mostly personal and have more to do with my own timetable and unavailability at times they most require assistance.

They are interested in finding many more volunteers now, so if you feel you might have something to offer, go to the Tourist police HQ and sign on.

(Contrary to the article, you do not have to have either work permit or residency. You can apply with a Non Imm visa or retirement visa too. Uniforms cost 1,700 Baht from the tailor beside Kasem store.)

"Each volunteer can choose to work as a translator, teacher, sit behind the police desk and offer advice, or pound the streets. Some volunteers work one to two hours per week, others spend days in uniform. It is a very informal arrangement."

Sounds very flexible to me as regards work arrangements and hours. Might be difficult for some, to get a work permit though.

I've seen the type too many times all over the world including Phuket and Pattaya.

Not a lot of quality law officers volunteer for this kind of "job".

"I've seen the type too many times" blah blah.... :o. Extremely quick to judge aren't we?

Two of the volunteers have military histories, and one even outranks the chief inspector, but I wouldn't expect an uneducated gossip monger like yourself to even begin to find out the facts before making "I've seen it all before" posts...:yawn:

"Each volunteer can choose to work as a translator, teacher, sit behind the police desk and offer advice, or pound the streets. Some volunteers work one to two hours per week, others spend days in uniform. It is a very informal arrangement."

Sounds very flexible to me as regards work arrangements and hours. Might be difficult for some, to get a work permit though.

Very flexible. I can only spare a couple of hours, one day per week at present.

As I said above, no WP is required, I for one do not have one.

I have signed on as a part time volunteer

I meant everybody except p1p and any other mods or admin of course. :D

Hmmmmm. Now. Where's the banning button............

Not a lot of quality law officers volunteer for this kind of "job".

"I've seen the type too many times" blah blah.... :o. Extremely quick to judge aren't we?

Two of the volunteers have military histories, and one even outranks the chief inspector, but I wouldn't expect an uneducated gossip monger like yourself to even begin to find out the facts before making "I've seen it all before" posts...:yawn:

Now, now boys. Let's not get too uppity here. I might have to put on my uniform...... :D:D

:D:D