How Did You Meet Your Wife / Girlfriend

DonW

Hi

I have added a thread to five Thailand based internet forums with regards buying a condo in Bangkok; and on every single one, sometimes via a number of posters, the overarching advice has been DO NOT put the property in my wife's name.

I have been married to a Thai for a long time and have some difficulty in understanding why anyone would marry someone they clearly don't trust and, also, what would be the Chap's motivation for entering into such a relationship.

With this in mind, I am interested in how the posters met their wives and what has encouraged them to make such decisions.

So, if anyone feels like answering please post up where / how you met your wife or girlfriend and if you agree with this advice people are posting.

Personally, I have no issues with putting an investment in Thailand or in the UK in my wife's name and I would be interested to know if I am in the minority.

Cheers

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago, when I started travelling, I was told some over arching advice, like only eat what the oldest local is eating.

If there has ever been worse advice, I haven't heard it.

If you have added 5 threads to 5no Forums on the same subject and they all come back with the same advice, you have two choices, one follow their advice, or two, don't.

Yes, of course, there are just two options; those being take it or leave it and that goes without saying I think Mossfin.

More so, I am interested in the motivators for offering such advice IE DO NOT do it.

As for how a couple met; that's their business.

In your opinion.....as one could equally argue that discussing who owns which marital assets is also, 'their business' - if you chose not to answer that, then no worries. though, in my opinion, its no big deal.

Those who say 'Don't put anything in your wife''s name' or 'Protect your assets' are, in my opinion, not married, or if they are; shouldn't be.

Again, in your opinion......

Different strokes for.....

Edited by DonW

well i met my partner 8yrs ago in a sleezy bar in Chiang Mai.

Immediately saw that she was an angel fish in a turd bowl, so yanked her out of it pronto..

now we're happier than ever & everything is in her name.

wai.gif

Honest, non-judgmental answer.

We were introduced by mutual friends, and I would trust her with my life.

However, when I first lived in BKK I did the usual thing, fell in love with a girl who worked in a cocktail bar. She was a waitress, not a hooker, but it turned out that she had a mother with a gambling habit who was manipulating her into getting into a relationship with a wealthy (comparatively) farang, and then milking him for all he was worth. She did get a few million baht out of me, but after I ended the relationship she has fallen on pretty hard times, and I actually feel sorry for her.

My wife and I are very happy, and I would earnestly recommend that anybody thinking about marrying somebody from a totally different culture, try to make sure that you actually have some people in that culture whose opinions you trust, and get a second opinion, before doing anything major like getting married, or buying property in your girl-friend's name.

Have been with my wife for nine years and have no problem puting anything/everything in her name if need be, we don't own property but at present but we have one (of many) bank accounts in joint names with over 4 million baht in it.

I had two long time relationships in the UK the first marriage producing 2 great kid (lasting13 yrs) the second long term partner (12yrs no kids ) both with properties in join names ...I thought both relationship were going to live the test of time ...I was WRONG!...even with the laws in the UK I had to fright to get a fair deal.One of the splits started off amicable and by mutual consent but once the assets started to get assessed it became a bloody battle to get my 50% ..So with my experience and with all the good intentions in the world not every relationship is going to work (THAT IS A FACT).

And when money is involved it can and does get dirty ..Thai women are no different from any other woman on this planet ....I would protect my/yourself to the best your abilities using lots of common sense and Thailand Law .

A quote :- Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ..........( how right is that )

Edited by banglay

Yes, of course, there are just two options; those being take it or leave it and that goes without saying I think Mossfin.

More so, I am interested in the motivators for offering such advice IE DO NOT do it.

You asked how did I meet my wife. OK. First tell us how you met your wife. Not that anyone will believe you but it is only fair that you tell us before we tell you.thumbsup.gif

I met my wife (who originally hails from a small town on the banks of the Mekong in the north of Isaan) in Wolverhampton. We both worked for an international finance corporation and she was on a fact-finding assignment in the UK. Now, 8 years later, we live in Bangkok, she working as a Banker, while I bring up our son.

• Like 1

I met my wife on a rugby pitch. Our first kiss was in a gay bar off Silom a few nights later. We now have two stunning daughters.

We own property in Australia, but never got around to getting anything in Thailand beyond our car. If it was in Thailand, it any land would all be in my name perhaps mixed with my daughters, till my wife's Thai citizenship application came through.

I bet I've confused the crap out of a bunch of you.

;)

in an accident. she destroyed my rear and dent the subframe while i was riding. she was in the wrong and uninsured, so took a ride in her car searching for nearby motorshop. was a hard search for a subframe, so we agreed to look for metal workshop for repairs instead of a replacement another day and exchanged numbers. later on, some relationship developed when we were searching for workshops. started off having lunch while searching workshops then i ask her out for movies and eventually we went out together during loy krathong.

till date the bike never really got repairedwink.png

• Like 1

in an accident. she destroyed my rear and dent the subframe while i was riding. she was in the wrong and uninsured, so took a ride in her car searching for nearby motorshop. was a hard search for a subframe, so we agreed to look for metal workshop for repairs instead of a replacement another day and exchanged numbers. later on, some relationship developed when we were searching for workshops. started off having lunch while searching workshops then i ask her out for movies and eventually we went out together during loy krathong.

So your lady is actually a ladyboy who destroyed your rear. You couldn't walk after so took a drive in HER car :D:D:p:p

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• Like 1

So your lady is actually a ladyboy who destroyed your rear. You couldn't walk after so took a drive in HER car biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngtongue.png:P

Do you wonder why people don't like you?bah.gif

• Like 1

I have added a thread to five Thailand based internet forums with regards buying a condo in Bangkok; and on every single one, sometimes via a number of posters, the overarching advice has been DO NOT put the property in my wife's name.

I have been married to a Thai for a long time and have some difficulty in understanding why anyone would marry someone they clearly don't trust and, also, what would be the Chap's motivation for entering into such a relationship.

You assume the advice being given is based on a lack of trust. I may not be.

The fact is that the property laws here in Thailand are weighted against foreigners - you can have the most trusting, loving, caring, wholesome relationship possible with your wife - everything can be perfect. If however tragedy strikes, you loose your wife through illness or an accident (I pray this never happens) - You might very well find you loose your property too.

So trust does not necessarily have anything to do with the reason you are being given this advice.

Trust should of course have a part in your decisions - just make sure its not convincing you to make the wrong decision because you want to demonstrate others are wrong (when as I have shown above you might be misreading their advice).

Worry more about the family hangers on than the Wife.

• Like 1

So your lady is actually a ladyboy who destroyed your rear. You couldn't walk after so took a drive in HER car biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngtongue.png:P

true except the ladyboy partsad.png

• Like 1