How Did You Meet Your Wife / Girlfriend

DonW

What happens if you stick everything in your wife's name and you trust her more the anything in the world and have no other reason not to but then, over time, as the years go by, you drift apart she needs to go "find herself" and you end up hating each others guts?

Putting all your assets into her name is as silly as not putting any in. As for the part about drifting apart over time: dont most people reassess these things on a regular basis and when the drifting apart has just begun, readjusted their asset distribution!

• Like 1

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if you stick everything in your wife's name and you trust her more the anything in the world and have no other reason not to but then, over time, as the years go by, you drift apart she needs to go "find herself" and you end up hating each others guts?

You get a divorce and come to Thailand. smile.png

laugh.png

Some great posts and stories so far Gents.

I think the absence of posts from the Nay sayers is quite indicative of their motivations from saying NEVER trust a Thai woman.

PS Chanmgai Kelly....met in a Chinese class.

I'm a teacher, and my fiancé used to be a student at the high school where I teach English.

We met one evening at a reunion/anniversary dinner for our school.

It was very romantic, my fiancé and one of her friends asked for directions to the toilet. While her friend was in the toilet we chatted away and never seemed to run out of things to talk about.

She then invited me to visit her house for lunch every day that week, where we'd chat away for 5-6hours each day.

Every day her mother cooked huge super scrumptious meals, which in an effort to be polite, I'd ensure that I ate every last piece of rice. The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, I was no exception, we got engaged after about a month (and +5kgs) later lol

(Oh and she was never my student, she'd already finished university before I even started teaching at her school lol)

All I can say is that people can and do change and in my own situation, being married to a non bar girl [if that is what the OP was suggesting] for 12 yrs now. My wife has on several occasions came close to doing the 'D' thing and fortunately changed her mind at the last minute because I was [and still am] in danger of loosing more than I can afford to loose.

NEVER expect your relationship to remain in 'honeymoon mode'......PEOPLE CHANGE and often for the worse and ALWAYS be prepared for the worse or as the saying goes......'never invest more than you can afford to walk away from [in LOS]'

How many people in your country would marry someone then buy a house and put it exclusively in her name?

I reckon the answer is most would not. Therefore, why would they do it in a foreign country?

And btw; met my wife where I work.

Silly argument, as in our home countries a judge will have no hesitation in changing ownership from him to her.

At least here you know on the day you purchase that it will be hers, and have to sign a form in English agreeing to that.

• Like 2

How many people in your country would marry someone then buy a house and put it exclusively in her name?

I reckon the answer is most would not. Therefore, why would they do it in a foreign country?

And btw; met my wife where I work.

Silly argument, as in our home countries a judge will have no hesitation in changing ownership from him to her.

At least here you know on the day you purchase that it will be hers, and have to sign a form in English agreeing to that.

Then there is the OP's answerthumbsup.gif

And IMHO, mines not such a silly argument, you just helped me prop it up. Thanksclap2.gif

• Like 1

And IMHO, mines not such a silly argument, you just helped me prop it up. Thanksclap2.gif

Yes, maybe in the UK/USA/Canada/Australia, you should be forced to sign a paper (on marriage or house purchase) stating that you understand that your house will become hers on divorce. It would save a lot of misunderstandings later in life.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You can get ripped off in marriage in any country. There's NO way I'm going to do the Thai thing and put a lot of assets in some woman's name. That's IF I get married which I hope I don't. I'm fixed and can't leave any kids behind which I would feel morally obligated to support.

There's NO way any woman is going to get control of any of my assets again, even if it was in the US.

IF I get married in LOS which I doubt, we would rent. Why not? I can't own it anyway. After hearing some horror stories about condo associations, I can't really ever own a condo the way I'm used to owning my home.

If that woman wants to leave me she can walk. If I still like her I'd load up her things and drive he to where she wants to go. I'd probably give her a few thousand baht to get started. There's NO way the bulk of my money is leaving the US except as I need money, and any girlfriend gets a set allowance which I can cut off.

Sorry, but I've gotten cynical. Would I give a couple of thousand baht to parents each month? Yes if I wanted to, but I could cut it off.

If I get entangled with some cute thing, I'll be in a position to walk any time I need to. I've been around too much to get completely under the ether for someone in a country where all of the rules are different.

I repeat the old US joke which I think was a Johnny Carson quip after about his 4th divorce. He said from now on rather than getting married, he was just going to find some woman he hated and buy her a house.

• Like 2

I repeat the old US joke which I think was a Johnny Carson quip after about his 4th divorce. He said from now on rather than getting married, he was just going to find some woman he hated and buy her a house.

I thought it was Rod Stewart, with a woman he 'didn't like very much'

No it was me.biggrin.png

Actually the story had a happy ending. The ex found a guy with ranch, ocean house and another couple of properties, so she gave the house to my daughter who lives there now. I put a lot of work into the house but don't mind as long as my daughter is living there.

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

I thought it was Rod Stewart, with a woman he 'didn't like very much'

You could be right - I don't remember for sure but the lesson stuck with me.

Songhua, must admit, it feels like that sometimes. 555

Have you thought about putting the car on bricks instead of tyres ?

Nothing so low class. Going to whole hog and getting a caravan with a canvas extension.

Lugxure.

• Like 1

What cant go in my name does not get bought, car and motor bikes in my name, house well i would never buy a land where it could not go in my name. I own a house in the UK 100% legally in my name, i rent it out and that more than covers rent on what i rent here.

Was with wife 9 years no hint of trouble but family pressure meant we split, i was suspiciois so i paid truck fianance off early and got it in my name pronto...

Would i put every thing 100% into a parters name at home country NO, especially if the other half has not contibuted a single baht to it. , so why would i do it here. Yes to many horror stories, all is milk and honey for 12-15 years then pop, ya toast without a pot to urinate in.

Edited by marstons

It seems that there are a lot of wise men here, looking out for themselves very well and taking good care of their wealth. Don't be surprised to wake up one morning to find that your wife / gf whatever has walked out on you.

Most women, be they Thai, Chinese or farang, look to a man for financial security. They cook for you, wash your clothes, have sex with you - in return, they (rightly) expect that you will (financially) take care of them (and their extended families if that is the culture and tradition of their society). They also expect that you will "invest" in their future financial security when you kick the bucket before them (which in most cases, will happen just because you are older).

I have built a house for my son, wife (and her family). Car is in her name as are the two bikes. I have loaned out 500,000 bht to a close family friend (chanotes with my wife). I have loaned 800,000 bht to her cousin to purchase a pickup for her business. I have also loaned various other people smaller amounts of money. So what happens if she leaves one day or kick me out? I know that my son has more money / property / assets than most of the other kids in the village and that his education is at least secured. I can easily start again, as I did after my divorce from my British wife (I still pay for my other kids' education back in the UK plus various other expenses such as annual holidays to Asia, ski trips to America etc etc).

It's very easy to live this philosophy as long as you believe in karma. Whatever happens to me this life is a result of my previous life and whatever I do in this life will determine my fate in my next life. I know a lot of posters will think me nutters but as of now, I have never been happier with life.

• Like 2

I have been married to a Thai for a long time and have some difficulty in understanding why anyone would marry someone they clearly don't trust

There are nummerous threads on this board that answer your question, unfortunately most of them are in the News Forum and have condolences through out the thread.

Plenty of men in Thailand that shouldnt have trusted in their girlfriends/wives mainly because they were naive idiots that let their small head do the thinking. You wont hear many success stories on this forum as its a place for old farts to vent their spleen. If you are 50 and marry a 22 year old chances are the relationship is not built on anything more than a sad gullible old mans last stand, and a conniving little crumpets greed. In this case buying a house in the other halfs name would not be recommended...and yet you hear the same stories again and again. They will be on here soon enough, telling all and sundry that all Thai women are money grubbing whores, that you cant trust any of them...you read it on here all the time.

Anyway on a more positive note. There are decent women in any country( along with a smaller pool of bad ones with a steady supply of idiots to prey on). I trust my wife and her family as much as I would if she were born in my own country, its no different. I choose to associate with decent people, I have a good bullshit detector. If you are a naive that goes there to find love in a bar then you reap what you sow.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, well, l would put you at the top of my list to come unstuck, dumped.

Why, your attitude. You think your no.1, NOBODY, farang, is no.1 sad.png

It seems that there are a lot of wise men here, looking out for themselves very well and taking good care of their wealth. Don't be surprised to wake up one morning to find that your wife / gf whatever has walked out on you.

Most women, be they Thai, Chinese or farang, look to a man for financial security. They cook for you, wash your clothes, have sex with you - in return, they (rightly) expect that you will (financially) take care of them (and their extended families if that is the culture and tradition of their society). They also expect that you will "invest" in their future financial security when you kick the bucket before them (which in most cases, will happen just because you are older).

I have built a house for my son, wife (and her family). Car is in her name as are the two bikes. I have loaned out 500,000 bht to a close family friend (chanotes with my wife). I have loaned 800,000 bht to her cousin to purchase a pickup for her business. I have also loaned various other people smaller amounts of money. So what happens if she leaves one day or kick me out? I know that my son has more money / property / assets than most of the other kids in the village and that his education is at least secured. I can easily start again, as I did after my divorce from my British wife (I still pay for my other kids' education back in the UK plus various other expenses such as annual holidays to Asia, ski trips to America etc etc).

It's very easy to live this philosophy as long as you believe in karma. Whatever happens to me this life is a result of my previous life and whatever I do in this life will determine my fate in my next life. I know a lot of posters will think me nutters but as of now, I have never been happier with life.

With all due respect, why have you loaned out so much money to so many people? Would you have done this in the UK, Its beyond me as I work to the rule never lending money to friends and family whatever their nationality is.

The land I built on was my sister-in-law's land. Now it's in my daughter's name. The house I built is also in my Thai daughter's name. We built right next to my wife's parent's house. Have known them for 3 years and I trust them. My marriage is solid.

Plenty of men in Thailand that shouldnt have trusted in their girlfriends/wives mainly because they were naive idiots that let their small head do the thinking. You wont hear many success stories on this forum as its a place for old farts to vent their spleen. If you are 50 and marry a 22 year old chances are the relationship is not built on anything more than a sad gullible old mans last stand, and a conniving little crumpets greed. In this case buying a house in the other halfs name would not be recommended...and yet you hear the same stories again and again. They will be on here soon enough, telling all and sundry that all Thai women are money grubbing whores, that you cant trust any of them...you read it on here all the time.

Anyway on a more positive note. There are decent women in any country( along with a smaller pool of bad ones with a steady supply of idiots to prey on). I trust my wife and her family as much as I would if she were born in my own country, its no different. I choose to associate with decent people, I have a good bullshit detector. If you are a naive that goes there to find love in a bar then you reap what you sow.

met my 1st wife in a bar she was English and took me to the cleaners wonder how many people met there falang wife ex wife in a bar same tent different desert
  • Like 2